Skip to main content
Question

Sonos App

Is there any way of rolling back to the previous app version, the new one is almost unusable, searching editing playlists. I am no just using Spotify and playing through speakers. 

Any suggestions or thoughts Sonos are not really responding to the community on any updates - or are they? 

22 replies

On Android you can delete the new app and install 16.1. This is the app prior to the new release. Lots of community members have done this and life is good for them. If you dont know how just use the search. 

On iOS you can’t go back. Well technically there is a way and there are links posted in the community. But for 99.9% of us we can’t. Luckily you can use SonoPhone as a controller replacement ($3). It works when the pos new app doesn’t. If you just want access to playing playlists then Phonos Plus also works great (Free). 

Userlevel 1

Thanks Bumper, I am running  iOS, are you aware if Sonos are making any updates to resolve the numerous issues ?

Thanks Bumper, I am running  iOS, are you aware if Sonos are making any updates to resolve the numerous issues ?

There have been a lot of updates in the past 2 months. Some features have returned and the app stability has improved, but they have missed some promised deadlines. Not a big deal imo. The app is still a buggy POS but credit where credit due. 

Here is their list of coming features to return, they update it periodically 

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Get the SonoPhone app.. works great. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Hmm, seems like editing the queue doesn’t even get a TBD.  🤔

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi,

I sideloaded the old version on my Android which worked great. Until today. Suddenly I get a message saying my app requires an update and can no longer control my system. Absolute nonsense.

I use local files and playlists all the time so this is absolutely unacceptable. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Just this morning I decided to download and install Sonophone from the Apple App Store. I thought “what do I have to lose.”  To preface this, I don’t stream, I’m using an iOS app on an iPhone 13 Pro and, since the update first came out, I cannot play music via my iPhone.  I’ve reset the network path to my Music Libraries (they’re on SSD USB drives connected to my iMacs) via the instructions posted by Sonos.

Sonophone downloaded quickly and, upon clicking on Open, the app connected to my network and showed all three of my music folders. The music was catalogued just as it had always been (Folders/Artists/Albums/Tracks) and played perfectly.  What this told me is that the permissions that I’ve granted and the network path that I typed in are correct.  In my particular case, it’s the fault of the new Sonos app. I’m assuming I will have detractors after typing that in.

I’m sure there are features that Sonophone does not have (one is TruePlay) but, at least I have access to my music via my iPhone which, as you’d have to agree, adds a lot to the Sonos experience.

I don’t know if there’s an Android version but I’ve heard that updates to the current version of Sonophone are due out in several weeks.

I hope this helps someone at least get up and running until Sonos releases an update that works for those of us who aren’t interested in moving into the streaming world with it’s additional monthly - and increasing - costs, and have spent many, many years compiling music into their libraries. (Note #2: it also shows available streaming options as well.)

All the best… Brad

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just this morning I decided to download and install Sonophone from the Apple App Store.

Hi @SlamDesi, SonoPhone is an absolute bargain at $3 for simply minimizing frustration. And being able to use it side-by-side with the Sonos app is fantastic for diagnosing “it’s not me, it’s you” problems like the one you describe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Sancezzio, here’s a ‘splainer on the v16.1 Android app …

Hmm, seems like editing the queue doesn’t even get a TBD.  🤔

Queue functions and playlists Will be late August allegedly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Just this morning I decided to download and install Sonophone from the Apple App Store.

Hi @SlamDesi, SonoPhone is an absolute bargain at $3 for simply minimizing frustration. And being able to use it side-by-side with the Sonos app is fantastic for diagnosing “it’s not me, it’s you” problems like the one you describe.

press250… I agree.  Honestly, just yesterday I was researching alternatives to Sonos in the event the updates-to-come don’t solve my particular issue.  I’ll wait on those updates, see what happens and, go from there. If I have to do much more resetting, inputting, unplugging and additional futzing after the updates, I might consider jumping ship. But for now, I’m thankful for the Sonophone app.  Oh, and it was suggested that I update the firmware for my hardware; I’m glad I didn’t.  In my case, that wasn’t the issue.  I also didn’t do it because I wasn’t sure what I’d end up with afterwards.

Hi,

I sideloaded the old version on my Android which worked great. Until today. Suddenly I get a message saying my app requires an update and can no longer control my system. Absolute nonsense.

I use local files and playlists all the time so this is absolutely unacceptable. 

I have another issue here. I did not try to go back to previous version or anything. The sonos Play and Port have a green LED and don’t work anymore. When I launch the sonos App, it eather crash right at the start without any message or I get a message saying that the app needs an update and I have to wait for the devs to release it. (thats on android).

The Windows app seems to work properly.

I am really considering selling all my sonos stuff. It’s pretty much always a pain in the butt to use… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @SlamDesi, SonoPhone is an absolute bargain at $3 for simply minimizing frustration. And being able to use it side-by-side with the Sonos app is fantastic for diagnosing “it’s not me, it’s you” problems like the one you describe.

press250… I agree.  Honestly, just yesterday I was researching alternatives to Sonos in the event the updates-to-come don’t solve my particular issue.  I’ll wait on those updates, see what happens and, go from there. If I have to do much more resetting, inputting, unplugging and additional futzing after the updates, I might consider jumping ship. But for now, I’m thankful for the Sonophone app.  Oh, and it was suggested that I update the firmware for my hardware; I’m glad I didn’t.  In my case, that wasn’t the issue.  I also didn’t do it because I wasn’t sure what I’d end up with afterwards.

Did you find any interesting alternatives?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sancezzio… I researched Bluesound (expensive), Denon and also Network Players but, still too early to tell. I also looked up how to “fully” utilize the Line In port on the back of my Fives. I can’t say I understand it entirely but, maybe someone could give a detailed explanation as to which devices can be used, if said devices can locate stored libraries, if libraries need to be stored in the iPhone or iPad, what app should/could be used, if we would be locked into using the Sonos app… in short, this is something I just don’t know enough about. Obviously.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sancezzio… I researched Bluesound (expensive), Denon and also Network Players but, still too early to tell. I also looked up how to “fully” utilize the Line In port on the back of my Fives. I can’t say I understand it entirely but, maybe someone could give a detailed explanation as to which devices can be used, if said devices can locate stored libraries, if libraries need to be stored in the iPhone or iPad, what app should/could be used, if we would be locked into using the Sonos app… in short, this is something I just don’t know enough about. Obviously.

Hi @SlamDesi, if you’re interested in making your Sonos Fives ‘bilingual’, check out the WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro. I’m using a WiiM Mini connected to a Five via Line In and it works great.

Hi @SlamDesi, if you’re interested in making your Sonos Fives ‘bilingual’, check out the WiiM Mini and WiiM Pro. I’m using a WiiM Mini connected to a Five via Line In and it works great.

Can second the WiiM recommendation. Works great   

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Thanks to Bumper and press250… I saw that on the list but hadn’t gotten around to checking it out. I will now.  I appreciate the replies and tips.
Brad in AK

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I should have asked this before I replied a bit ago but, with the WiiM products, is one able to connect to stored libraries of music on SSD drives or, is it just for streaming, AirPlay… etc?  My apologies for what may appear as simple questions but, I’m expanding my world through this helpful forum.  Thanks much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I should have asked this before I replied a bit ago but, with the WiiM products, is one able to connect to stored libraries of music on SSD drives or, is it just for streaming, AirPlay… etc?  My apologies for what may appear as simple questions but, I’m expanding my world through this helpful forum.  Thanks much.

Bad news is the WiiM app does not yet support local library music. Good news is the WiiM devices are multi-lingual: Airplay, DLNA, and (in all devices above the Mini) Chromecast ... and there is a panoply of music apps that cast to one or more of those. I use the fantastic Audirvana, which is super focused on audio quality and has a truly beautiful user interface. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Bad news is the WiiM app does not yet support local library music. Good news is the WiiM devices are multi-lingual: Airplay, DLNA, and (in all devices above the Mini) Chromecast ... and there is a panoply of music apps that cast to one or more of those. I use the fantastic Audirvana, which is super focused on audio quality and has a truly beautiful user interface. 

Thanks, press… ALL good to know. I’ll look up Audirvana. I’ve repurchased remastered CDs of music I own on LPs since the 70s and spent A LOT of time burning them to my drives over the years. Some of my stuff is pretty obscure and probably isn’t on streaming channels so it will be nice to find a source that might have some of those things available.  I really like this about the Community Forum here; I learn something every time I log in.  I suppose if it weren’t for the other-worldly mobile app that Sonos released, I still be sitting in a stagnant pool of blissful ignorance. 😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

press250… I’ve been researching Audirvana and it looks amazing and, it supports local libraries stored on external drives.  I can’t find any info (at this time) if there’s a mobile app for my iPhone. Do you know if there is or not?  All videos seem to show desktop controllers.  Thank a lot.  Brad

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

press250… I’ve been researching Audirvana and it looks amazing and, it supports local libraries stored on external drives.  I can’t find any info (at this time) if there’s a mobile app for my iPhone. Do you know if there is or not?  All videos seem to show desktop controllers.  Thank a lot.  Brad

press250… Never mind, I found it on the Apple App Store. :)