SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Support for SMB1 is removed from Synology DSM 7. Many folks might update their NAS, only to find Sonos can no longer connect. SMB1 is being removed from lots of platforms due to security issues, and with all the hacks / ransomware out there, it will stay removed. We need a clear ETA for Sonos to support SMB2 / SMB3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t hold your breath, that was first asked for back in the 2006 time-frame.

Work around it with a dedicated to Sonos SMB v1 NAS or a NAS (any protocol) to Sonos gateway and be done with waiting for Sonos to make the major changes required.

My Live Journal How-To: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

Hey, please switch to secure SMB and NTLM Versions. After upgrade of Synology DSM 7 and NTLMv1 is not activated anymore, I have no access to my music library. I use it many times for the kids. So please switch to a proper and secure protocol. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Ronald

This is the error message on synology if I try to connect via SONOS app to my shared music library.

While you’re at it, please provide the extra memory needed to update the Linux kernel on all older product, so that it can manage the updated kernel that is able to handle newer versions of SMB. I assume sending someone to my house with the chips necessary, with the capability of opening each speaker and replacing the memory chips should be simple, correct?

Are you telling me that if I swap all my Sonos speakers for current Sonos speakers that NTLMv2 will then work and currently only the fallback to NTMLv1 is performed by the Sonos speakers because there are a few older Play:1 speakers hanging in the system? If that's the case, I'll swap for the Play:One tomorrow. All other speakers (Play5:Gen2, Move, Roam, etc.) should then be NTLMv2 compatible, as there are certainly enough large memory chips in them to process the little Linux kernel.

Workaround:

Activate NTLMv1 on NAS File server settings:

But this is not recommended, because insecure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are you telling me that if I swap all my Sonos speakers for current Sonos speakers that NTLMv2 will then work and currently only the fallback to NTMLv1 is performed by the Sonos speakers because there are a few older Play:1 speakers hanging in the system? If that's the case, I'll swap for the Play:One tomorrow. All other speakers (Play5:Gen2, Move, Roam, etc.) should then be NTLMv2 compatible, as there are certainly enough large memory chips in them to process the little Linux kernel.

There are signs that an updated SMB stack is on its way, for S2 devices. The recent regression with non ascii characters on the Sonos SL implies that changes are afoot, so there are faint signs of hope.

Hello,

My sonos read my music library on a synology NAS.

Synology support SMB1, 2 and 3. It is recommended to disable SMB1 for security reasons.

The majority of my devices connect to it using SMB2 or 3.

Unfortunately, I cannot disable SMB1 because it is the only version supported by sonos.

When will sonos also support SMB2 or 3 ?

SMB1 : has been created in 1985 : 36 years ago

SMB2 : was released in 2006 : 15 years ago.

SMB3 : was released in 2018 : 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

Michel,

May I recommend that you read the thread in which you’ve posted? 

Bruce,

Sorry if my message was not clear or in a wrong section, english is not my mother langage.

Let me share my experience

I received last week a new PORT (S2). I upgraded the firmware and I use the latest S2 app on a mac.

I disabled SMB1 on my synology then created a new share volume. Sonos was not able to connect to it.

I re-enabled SMB1 on the synology and sonos was able to connect to it.

My oldest sonos device is a play1 running Sonos OS: S2, Version: 13.1.1 (build 63289260)

My conclusion is that a S2 devices does not support SMB2 or 3 and I just ask for the planned release date because I didn’t find it in the thread.

Michel.

Ah, understood. My apologies if my response also sounded terse, the reasons around this have, as you’ve seen, been discussed over and over in this thread. As has the fact that Sonos doesn’t tell us what is on, or when we should see anything from the roadmap. 

As you’ve seen from controlav’s posts, there are some hopeful signs. However, certainly I was hoping for forward movement long before this date, but having been in these sorts of software update processes before, am not surprised it hass taken this long. The real question is still whether or not Sonos considers this an important enough issue (probably decided by number of users, which has been previously conjectured to be in the single digit percentages) for them to dedicate coding resources to. 

As has been stated before, we just don’t know, and we won’t know, until or even if Sonos releases it. 

Being a user of local files myself, I certainly have hopes that it will come to pass. But I’m also not holding my breath. 

Userlevel 1

Hello,

My sonos read my music library on a synology NAS.

Synology support SMB1, 2 and 3. It is recommended to disable SMB1 for security reasons.

The majority of my devices connect to it using SMB2 or 3.

Unfortunately, I cannot disable SMB1 because it is the only version supported by sonos.

When will sonos also support SMB2 or 3 ?

SMB1 : has been created in 1985 : 36 years ago

SMB2 : was released in 2006 : 15 years ago.

SMB3 : was released in 2018 : 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Michel.

Hi Michel,

Just seen release notes from Synology on DSM 7, they are dropping support for SMB1, so if Sonos don’t update to SMB2/3 with immediate effect then I don’t think it will work anymore.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Does anyone know why Sonos doesn’t support SMB2 or SMB3?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Been covered here ad nauseam. Given the size of this thread, probably several times in this one alone.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Been covered here ad nauseam. Given the size of this thread, probably several times in this one alone.

I read the full thread but all I see is speculation.  Is there an official answer on why SMB2/3 isn’t supported?

No.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I read the full thread but all I see is speculation.  Is there an official answer on why SMB2/3 isn’t supported?

If you’ve read the full thread you’ll know there is no official answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The closest I’ve seen is that the issue was being referred to the developers.

Waiting for a Sonos solution isn’t a good idea, I’ve been waiting for many, many years.

Just avoid the issue with a NAS to SMBv1 gateway and take it off your worry list.

A Raspberry Pi or other computer will work: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Just avoid the issue with a NAS to SMBv1 gateway and take it off your worry list.

A Raspberry Pi or other computer will work: https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Such a shame that the “solution” requires yet another box burning electricity when we should be trying to reduce energy consumption.

@SONOS: please finally add the SMB2 support that has been requested for years to your products, at least for the S2 product line ... and don't think too long about it, just do it, it's time to finally deliver.

Thanks and best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Compared to the power that a Sonos device uses in sleep mode, roughly 3 to 8 Watts depending on the device, the 1 Watt that a Pi Zero draws isn’t much.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/256?language=en_US

I still do not understand the problem of changing from SMB1 to SMB2 or 3.

Can anyone explain me exactly why the hardware cannot run software using SMB2?

First of all SMB1 is very vulnerable and for that reason been depreciated as protocol, and secondly the SMB drivers are not using specific hardware, that is not present in the mentioned old units, right?

SONOS, you have a problem. If any user gets hacked or encrypted through SMB1 due to your missing support of SMB2, it may fall back on you and the Sonos brand.
We need SONOS to change the version of SMB, and ensure it will run on older hardware.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

For Systems running S1, I doubt if there will ever be and SMB upgrade.  The memory constraints of those speaker restrict what can be done.

For S2 it may be possible, but probably requires a significant development commitment, and given the bulk of new customers tend to use streaming services (and that there is a workaround), I can’t see this being high on the list for Sonos.

I run a dedicated Pi based NAS running SMB1 ,for my Sonos music only, that is sacrificial.

With DSM 7.0 this has become an imminent problem for every synology user. Shame on you SONOS for not fixing a problem that’s raised in freaking 2006.

Maybe a all should complain by email to the Sonos CEO: ceo@sonos.com

That’s his/her email address according to:
https://support.sonos.com/s/contact?language=nl_NL

I’ve already send an email, wo is going to follow?