SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

That would indeed be odd, since both of those run on your local device or the server,and not on the limited memory of the Sonos equipment.

Well one of my speakers is the new Play One which Sonos said we needed to support Airplay and other features.  I imagine implementing Alexa is a little more memory demanding than adding an SMB2 stack.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Well one of my speakers is the new Play One which Sonos said we needed to support Airplay and other features.  I imagine implementing Alexa is a little more memory demanding than adding an SMB2 stack.

Actually no, Alexa is an app that can easily run on the current Linux kernel. SMB is s system service that is tightly integrated into the current kernel. Going to v 2 or 3 requires a newer kernel, as well as porting all the Sonos patches and tweaks. Not fast or easy and you don’t find Linux kernel programmers cheap either.

I just started using Sonos and tried to connect to a Synology NAS. The S2 controller was showing error messages that made no sense (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/262?language=en_US&utm_source=cr-care&utm_medium=serverstack&utm_campaign=de-cr-care-serverstack).

I finally found this and reactivated SMB1 which I feel uncomfortable with because it is old and full of security flaws.

Sonos need to get their act together and implement SMB3 asap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Been saying that for many years, no Sonos update in sight.

Easy solution to the security issues is use a NAS to SMB v1 gateway so your NAS can run in secure mode but Sonos can see your music through the v1 gateway.

I did it on a Raspberry Pi, a Zero W is a good choice.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

Userlevel 2
Badge

Actually no, Alexa is an app that can easily run on the current Linux kernel. SMB is s system service that is tightly integrated into the current kernel. Going to v 2 or 3 requires a newer kernel, as well as porting all the Sonos patches and tweaks. Not fast or easy and you don’t find Linux kernel programmers cheap either.

They have a Windows client they regularly update.  There is no reason they couldn’t do a secure proxy through their own software without additional configuration or accommodation by their users.  Windows programmers are not rare, nor necessarily expensive.  Again, Sonos is a “premium” product and they charge accordingly for those products.  So I get it, you think we should all roll out our own hardware to address Sonos’s unwillingness to address well know, long existing security flaws.  So noted, I respectfully disagree.  We can agree to disagree.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

They have a Windows client they regularly update.  There is no reason they couldn’t do a secure proxy through their own software without additional configuration or accommodation by their users.  Windows programmers are not rare, nor necessarily expensive.  Again, Sonos is a “premium” product and they charge accordingly for those products.  So I get it, you think we should all roll out our own hardware to address Sonos’s unwillingness to address well know, long existing security flaws.  So noted, I respectfully disagree.  We can agree to disagree.

The Windows client already includes SonosLibraryService, which is a proxy designed specifically to avoid the SMB problem. SMB is not required when sharing files from Windows (or Mac) devices, this is purely a NAS issue.

Additionally, it’s the software on the speakers, and not the desktop/mobile controller that is accessing the music on the NAS. Hence the oft referred to memory issue for an updated kernel that supports a higher version of SMB on the early players/speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For folks like me that have neither Windows or a Mac running, neither are a good option.

The Pi fixed my issues for a few bucks and a couple watts of power, no other solution comes close here.

I don’t think we should roll out our own hardware to fix a Sonos option. I just don’t see another viable option for NAS users.

I’ve been bitching about the Sonos SMB v1 issue since about 2008. Not seen any result.

I have abandoned any hope of seeing a Sonos solution and dealt with the issue as the only viable alternative.

Hundreds of posts here have had no impact, so don’t hold your breath.

Particularly for a SMB v2 fix for S1 systems although a dedicated Sonos Music NAS or Gateway in a Boost case would be really neat for S1 folks. Easy to just stuff a Pi in there and ship it too.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am looking for a resolution to the SMB1 fiasco. It appears that SYNOLOGY is going to disable support for SMB1 when DSM V7.x is released.  I have multiple SONOS, NetGear NEOTV550 and now Zappiti media players that require SMB1 and they will not work with latter versions.

I just purchase the Zappit OneSE4K HDR in December 2020 and will try to return it back to Amazon since it appears that it cannot be updated to support a newer version of SMB. None of  the reviews of the product mention that the product required SMB1.

After upgrading my Synology NAS to version 7 I can not link to my music library from my Sonos system. The error is detected by Synology as follows:

This issue is occurring as NTLMv1 is disabled in DSM 7.0 Beta for security concerns, and only NTLMv2 is supported by default. Whereas Sonos does not support using NTLMv2.

Is it possible for Sonos to correction this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Palle Louw 1, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Synology NAS drives often revert to not allowing SMBv1 after updating, mind checking that the Minimum SMB version is set to SMB 1? Here’s some guidance from the Synology website on adjusting SMB settings

Let us know if that helps :)

@Palle Louw 1 

There is a workaround for DSM7 Beta:

https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

Thanks Claus. Unfortunately it is not working with my beta version.:worried:

Badge

Same as all people here.
It’s very strange that Sonos doesn’t solve this SMB2 compatibility for S2 products…

It lasts for a while, and soon DSM7 will be realesed in final version, and problem still here.
I stopped to buy Sonos products since I installed DSM 7 beta, and if there is no solution (not the SMB1 patch) I will make a cross on this mark !

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Same as all people here.
It’s very strange that Sonos doesn’t solve this SMB2 compatibility for S2 products…

If you look at other projects that have a more open development process than Sonos you can get an idea of the difficulty of moving from an antique/obsolete and heavily internally patched Linux system to a current release.

Same as all people here.

If you look at other projects that have a more open development process than Sonos you can get an idea of the difficulty of moving from an antique/obsolete and heavily internally patched Linux system to a current release.

Well, yes… But considering the amount of time that they must have spent on S2, and how little extra it actually does, I’d have thought that moving to a new kernel as the base would have been highly desirable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t know where Sonos is in the process of moving S2 systems to a modern Linux but if they are like a couple of my past employers, ones that listened to their project managers (No problem. Couple months will see us right) rather than the programmers (Maybe a year with much overtime and a couple tech experts brought in for the fiddly bits.) they may be deep in the woods and far from a solution.

I’d love to see something but with my Raspberry Pi serving up my SMBv1 music I really don’t care much either way.

Badge +1

I don’t see any merit in trying to second guess or debate the development and technical challenges on the Sonos side.

The subject of this thread is a feature request and there is clearly demand from the Sonos community for it, not least because of the well publicised security vulnerabilities present in SMB v1 which have already been exploited.

I too have Synology NAS drives and their upcoming DSM 7 software will disable access to my existing music library on Sonos which is a major issue for me. Workarounds are only feasible for some users and not an acceptable long term solution.

Synology have even provided a link to this thread from their own community forums in order to encourage people to request that Sonos address the issue - https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

So go on Sonos, please can we have support for SMB v2/v3?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is a fairly new SMB topic, only a year old at this point. The SMB issue goes way back, maybe 2008, and the answer from Sonos has always been the same.

Ask, complain, whatever works for you. I chose to solve the problem with my two Pi options. Someday I may be able to switch to a Sonos solution but it hasn’t been that day for 13 years now and counting.

I’m just hoping Sonos doesn’t just drop SMB sharing and make the whole problem go away. That would be the easy path, couple edits to the source code and push an update and POOF, no more SMB complaints.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m just hoping Sonos doesn’t just drop SMB sharing and make the whole problem go away. That would be the easy path, couple edits to the source code and push an update and POOF, no more SMB complaints.

That is certainly one solution. If they published the http sharing protocol, maybe with a node sample app, they could do that and folks could just run the node app on their NASs. That would even work with S1 systems without having to change them.

Perhaps sensible for those individuals bothered by this to lock their systems down tightly….

Perhaps sensible for those individuals bothered by this to lock their systems down tightly….

Remain on S1 and your system will be frozen, safe and sound.

Remain on S1 and your system will be frozen, safe and sound.

Not necessarily…. Who knows what controller kit Sonos will force to ‘retire’ next by stopping supporting it? Better to stay in control - lock off now and only update if you’ve carried out a risk assessment ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If Sonos did drop SMB v1 for security reasons I can’t see any way they wouldn’t do it for both S1 and S2 systems.

If they would publish the HTTP information I’d be busy getting a Raspberry Pi version up and running. Both as a server and as a gateway to a NAS running other protocols.

@Stanley_4 does this look like a good Pi to make the gateway from?: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Premium-Clear-Supply/dp/B07BC7BMHY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=raspberry+pi+ethernet&qid=1618442462&s=electronics&sr=1-3