SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is another possible solution for NAS users: someone needs to implement the Sonos REST service as used on PC and Mac. I’ve had PMs with a couple of folks explaining how to do this, but no-one seems to have done it so far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos talk up S2 as a new operating system so it is BS that they don’t fix it. This is a very old flaw and shame on them that they have not fixed it yet. 

Yes there are work arounds but we shouldn’t require this on new hardware and an OS that was released in 2020. 

They lack the will to do it and frankly I hope people keep coming at them here and on social media until they fix this. 

S2 is not a new Operating System, it is a new user interface running on the same old, antique Linux Operating System.

The OS Sonos is using is from the early 2000s If I recall correctly. you can check in their GPL section.

They may well lack the will but it could be other resource constraints too.

I’m all for pressuring them to update S2, been there doing that since around 2016. But that won’t help S1 users who are stuck with SMB v1 for NAS access. Maybe if Sonos released the data needed for someone to do a NAS server like they use on Windows or Mac it would help.

Badge +1

« A file share running SMB1 is extremely vulnerable to all the variants of cryptolocker virus that exists today. File share servers (NAS, Windows, Apple OS) can only support one version of SMB - so you cannot from the same box have one file share (for Sonos) using SMB1 and the other file shares using SMB2 or SMB3. This way Sonos puts each and every file share at serious risc - just because they don’t update their file share protocol to comply with this century. »

Sure you can 

you create a Docker Macvlan network with a dedicated list of IPs and with sole read access to your music ( with a dedicated login/password).

And you can deactivate definitively the SMB1 support in Your Synology for the native network.

This makes a specific dedicated local network for your Sonos only.

cheers 

PHILIPPE 

Badge +4

I’m back here with the same issue,  new Synology User, and faced with the SMB1 issue.  For a long time on my prior NAS software solution I had a backup of the Music Library (it’s in ITunes format though my use of iTunes is really limited) on a desktop and just had SONOS point to that.  My music library is now near 25,000 tracks about 190 GB but really is growing much more slowly as I stream via services more and more and since I don’t commute anymore, my iphone music isn’t that important.  I took that backup offline due to space constraints on that PC, but maybe its worth going back to that for SONOS.  I have Plex and the music library was there, but I really use it to play music content.

I really don’t want to add more complexity that no one else in the house will ever figure out - Docker (OMG)… Maybe it just time to suck it up and go back and increase the size of that PC’s THIRD drive.

If this is really a legacy SONOS issue (and I have a few of them, sadly none of my 5 CC100’s anymore) then with the new S1 and S2 options, I would think that S2 would be a good place to fix the SMB1 problem (I assume its not fixed there, I’m still on S1).

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

@cap3344 you are correct,

S2 has not fixed this glaring security problem.

There was a no indication that they will even fix it. 

Really…. stop harassing met about S2, first allow SMB2 or SMB3 support for “older” hardware. No more playing my own music from my own NAS? I will not invest in SONOS any longer.

Really…. stop harassing met about S2, first allow SMB2 or SMB3 support for “older” hardware. 

If you mean S1, that certainly isn’t going to happen. S1 is frozen functionally, owing to hardware memory limitations in the older players.

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

Badge +4

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

can you post details about the Synology fix, would like to see if I can do something on my DS1520+

To fix the problem: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

(Scroll down)

[Update] (2020/12/18)

If you insist on connecting in an insecure way, here is a special version which is compatible with NTLMv1. Once again, we strongly recommend that you report this issue to the manufacturer to support NTLMv2. For details, please see Security guidance for NTLMv1 and LM network authentication. and I cannot access shared folders via SMB from a Windows XP computer. What can I do?

Badge +4

thanks… I may decide to just avoid it… trying to get another drive into one of my Windows boxes to host SONOS media… grrrr

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My perennial suggestion why not a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated to Sonos SMB v1 file server or cheaper, set up as a NAS (any protocol) to SMB v1 gateway?

SMB v1 sucks but getting away from it is not simple or easy for Sonos.

How to Pi NAS / Gateway: Live Journal

Today is a happy day!

I have decided to no longer accept the SMB1 security risk or the Plex route. The Sonos equipment is sold, and I will NEVER return back to Sonos, remembering the financial loss I made.

My new equipment (best choice in WhatHifi 2020 review) warns that in case the connection to the NAS does not work, I may have to switch to SMB2/3 !  Welcome to normal network technology, in stead of bringing one new device after another while bringing NAS users at risk.

Bye bye Sonos and fellow Sonos owners! 

Today is a happy day!

I have decided to no longer accept the SMB1 security risk or the Plex route. The Sonos equipment is sold, and I will NEVER return back to Sonos, remembering the financial loss I made.

My new equipment (best choice in WhatHifi 2020 review) warns that in case the connection to the NAS does not work, I may have to switch to SMB2/3 !  Welcome to normal network technology, in stead of bringing one new device after another while bringing NAS users at risk.

Bye bye Sonos and fellow Sonos owners!

Oh ...and a ‘warm welcome’ to the user that purchased your Sonos devices.👍

I am also affected. I understand that older hardware may be unable to support SMB2/3, but it is disturbing that SMB2/3 is not available in the Sonos ecosystem. Like others have mentioned, the S1/S2 split would have been a natural place to draw the line. Will be keeping an eye on developments in this area before investing further.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I agree with the previous posters. Sonos needs to start thinking about security for its customers. If this isn’t fixed, I will be moving away from Sonos altogether. 
This is a dealbreaker for me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

S2 is not a new Operating System, it is a new user interface running on the same old, antique Linux Operating System.

The OS Sonos is using is from the early 2000s If I recall correctly. you can check in their GPL section.

If Sonos 2 is not an new OS then Sonos should stop stop saying it is.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The refusal by Sonos to declare where they stand on the SMB1/2/3 fiasco is appalling.

The least they could do is tell us the official position even if it is that they are not going to implement a real solution then at least we know where we stand.

It seems from what some users have found out that older Sonos 1 gear doesn’t have the memory to run SMB3, but why can’t Sonos spell this out clearly and advise if Sonos 2 gear does have adequate memory or is it simply not possible.

I have been combing through this forum wasting too much time looking for an answer to no avail. All I see is wishy washy non answers from Sonos staff. Not good enough Sonos. Lift your game.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think Sonos will be in trouble if they don’t fix this. Once DSM 7.0 is released, all Synology owners are going to jump ship. Most everyone I know that uses Sonos has a library they pull from on their Synology NAS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I just don’t see this as a big issue, a NAS (any Linux supported protocol) to SMB v1 protocol converter / gateway is a few minutes work and about $25 using a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

I’d really feel silly taking a bath on dumping my Sonos on ebay or the like over such a minor issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I respectfully disagree. I have spent well over $1,000 in Sonos equipment and they won’t at least jump into the 21st century in IT security?  I am sorry, get with the program Sonos or watch what happens. People are going to leave in droves. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Few people play their music from files these days. Most use a mac or a pc for it, the percentage that use a NAS is even smaller. The percentage who use Synology is smaller still. “Droves”, lol.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So why are you on these boards defending Sonos?  Sounds like to me tour an employee or have some sort of personal/economical interest. 
The only people I see on these boards are people pissed off at the fact that Sonos doesn’t give to shi.. about their customers IT security.  

“Droves……...take a look around now, Sonos is only getting a smaller customer base. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am giving my opinion based on over a decade of streaming files to my Sonos, after creating multiple commercial Sonos apps, after working with Sonos engineering in their codebase and after many years of monitoring this forum and it's predecessor. It's an opinion, treat it as you like.