Answered

Secondary Search

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

How is a secondary search function performed in the Windows App (but the same applies for the iOS)
For example, I want to find Bach Concerto for Violin and Oboe performed by Itzhak Perlman.  This involves two different fields (Song and Artist) - yet only 1 search field is available.

If I search on Itzhak Perlman, I get thousands of responses as he has recorded for decades.
If I search on Bach Concerto for Violin and Oboe, I get at least hundreds of responses.
I would have to manually slog through a lot of search results to find what I’m looking for.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 April 2023, 17:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If you can’t find it via the Sonos search maybe add it to a playlist/favourite in your chosen music service ‘native’ app instead. I’m not sure which track you’re after, or if you are using the classic or new Sonos search, but this how I searched for the terms you mention… (see attached screenshots).

Note: The new Sonos search feature is not rolled out everywhere yet, so you may not have that at the moment, perhaps🤔? So you may still find the native music app search suggestion a good option to try and use a favourite/playlist shortcut to the track instead, which will in turn feed through to the in-built Sonos service.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thank you very much for your reply.  The playlist/favourite work around may be a good way to go -- I will try that.
I guess the new Sonos search is not available to me, yet.  I am not familiar with it.  I ran “updates”, but nothing new is available, yet.  That does look like a better search interface - so I’ll try it when it becomes available to me.

Thank you.

Here’s a link about the new Sonos search facility and it’s rollout…

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What music service are you searching? Or local library? Search works differently on different back-ends.

On the whole, searching works less well on classical music than on other genres.  There are more variables than the search can cope well with: composer, orchestra, conductor, soloist, work, album.  And the tagging is not geared to classical and is used inconsistently.

I have sometimes found that searching on Album gives the best results (although still poor).

However, I just tried the new Sonos search, entering “perlman bach violin oboe”, and rather to my surprise...bingo!  I may have got lucky….

Edit: on further investigation I realised that somehow it had landed on the ‘Song’ that is the second movement of this work.  But it just needed a tap on “Album Info” to get the whole work… and much besides, on what is a rather splendid album.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This screenshot shows another challenge with dealing with classic music: a phone’s screen is way too small for that amount of information, especially if the default font size is increased for older eyes.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

On the whole, searching works less well on classical music than on other genres.  There are more variables than the search can cope well with: composer, orchestra, conductor, soloist, work, album.  And the tagging is not geared to classical and is used inconsistently.

I have sometimes found that searching on Album gives the best results (although still poor).

However, I just tried the new Sonos search, entering “perlman bach violin oboe”, and rather to my surprise...bingo!  I may have got lucky….

Edit: on further investigation I realised that somehow it had landed on the ‘Song’ that is the second movement of this work.  But it just needed a tap on “Album Info” to get the whole work… and much besides, on what is a rather splendid album.

Yes - I agree.  If I can find one of the relevant tracks (piece movement), then using the “Album Info” option to get the whole piece works pretty well.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What music service are you searching? Or local library? Search works differently on different back-ends.

I’ve just started using the new “Classical” app from Apple.  The search function within the app seems improved to what I am used to.  (My problem is, most of my music is directly accessed through the Sonos app directly.)  Although I also use a large local library (NAS), I’m primarily referring to the Classical app from Apple, as I assume there would be too many variables/limitations searching home libraries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

New Search doesn't give any results from your own music library (on a NAS). Therefore it is a useless product.