Skip to main content

I just upgraded from an iPhone XS to 13 plus and my S2 app pretty much has ceased functioning. For context, my wife upgraded the exact same phones and hers works as well as ever (albeit it’s still the baseline level of bugginess).

At first, I opened S2 and it was super slow and would crash while trying to load all the data. I would click a button and after 60 seconds the button would partially load (Settings, for example) or it would crash. I uninstalled the app and now I can’t even open the Terms of Service. It opens, freezes entirely, and half the time it crashes. My Sonos system is functionally useless without the controller. Again, it works just fine on my wife’s identical phone and iOS. If I could upload video, I would upload the screen recordings. This is a technical disaster and the Support Bot couldn’t figure out it’s algorithm well enough to get me actual support. I’m at my wits end with this. Help, please.

Have you rebooted your phone? You might also try rebooting your router.

Oh yeah, rebooted it all. A phone on the same network and same system is working just fine. The software seems to be stuck in some loop of hell that it can’t escape. I’m not even at the “connect to the system” part of the app and it dies. Same thing even on LTE or airplane mode.

Odd. I’m using iOS 15.2 on three separate devices, and am having zero issues with S2. 

I wouldn’t expect Sonos to work on LTE or Airplane mode, though, as the controller’s function is to reach out across your WiFi connection to the router, and from there to the Sonos devices connected to the router. 

I’d  be awfully tempted to delete that controller from the iPhone, and then do a hard reboot of the iPhone. Once it comes back up, go to the Apple store, and install a fresh copy of S2. When you boot it up, while connected to your local WiFi, make sure you choose ‘connect to existing system’.

Have done all of that. And when you reinstall I can’t even get past the intro screen. I start to swipe and it simply freezes now. Can’t even get to agree to terms of service.

Again, this is counter to all my experience, but then I have a bog standard iPhone 13, and not a Plus. 

As an uninformed guess, there may be some sort of profile or VPN software that is denying the app the ability to reach out and contact the system that runs on the speakers. I’ve a friend who works for a well known financial group who needed to get a separate iPhone for work, as their policies required extra security, and she couldn’t run Sonos on that iPhone when it was set up for her work system. 

Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

It’s solved but it’s 100% not a network issue. The app needs to actually boot in order to try and connect to the network. The app itself couldn’t load beyond the title screen. Other phones and computers worked just fine. The issue - and I hope a Sonos rep sees this - was coming from a background app. I closed out all background apps (contrary to Apple’s modern advice that doing so is unnecessary) and voila! Those background apps carry over with a phone update. To the Sonos Customer Service people - your online options are absolutely dismal for support. Reliance on community input is spotty at best and given the frequency of nuisance problems with the system, there really needs to be a better online support system.

I had similar issues with this, although it was the same within the Sonos App itself. Moved from WiFi to SonosNet and the problem has gone away.

To be fair, the Spotify app itself is not perfect so I tend to use the Sonos app all the time now as it seems far more reliable in terms of speaker selection etc. Another tip I'd like to suggest is to offload your S2 and re-download it from App Store. This trick has been mentioned in this post that solves many common iOS 15.2 issues.