Skip to main content

Hello.

Long time Sonos Fan,  we have a number of sonos units all over both homes.   In the past we travel between our weekend place and our home in the city,  open the app and sonos works ( see all the available zones , ect ).    Welcome the new S1 app,  now via the IOS app I can only see the zone in our weekend home,  even if we are not on that wifi network.

Is there a work around ?

Hi @jhirley.

Thank you for reaching out.

Since you got multiple Sonos devices I'm guessing you have S1 Sonos speakers and S2 Sonos devices or I might be wrong.

One way to find out.

In the Sonos app, there should be a banner saying system compatibility check that one to scan all your Sonos device.

If not you can perform a manual check in the Sonos app. Navigate to Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check.

If this is all new to you about S1 and S2 you may also find this support document-link worth a read.  

Submitting a diagnostic report can also be helpful for us to check your Sonos device.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Mark,

Thanks for reaching out,  so when I use the S1 app on my MacOS device, it see, the correct devices and when I move from location A to location B my S1 app on my MacOS device re-scans and just works.  It is the S1 app on out IOS devices which seem only see my S1 devices at only location A.  The re-scan on start I would say is the issue but I am not one of your developers. 

Followed your instructions to Settings > System > System Tools > System Compatibility Check.  that only show my devices and confirms that not all of them are S2 compatible. 

Again,  this all worked fine via IOS proper to the split of S1 and S2.  I consider this issue unresolved and look forward to any guidance anyone may have on how to resolve or work around.

Thanks again.

Hi @jhirley.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

Can you please submit a diagnostic report for us to see what's inside of your wireless network.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Mark,

my diagnostic confirmation number is 1186056244.

Hi @jhirley 

Thank you for replying to Sonos Community.

I notice when you submit a diagnostic report it just showing 2 Sonos devices GreatRoom and Patio.

The rest of the of your speakers are using a different IP address which I'm guessing is in another location.

We also have what we called Household ID. think about it like this one household id is identifying a specific network.

So since you have 2 locations each has their own household id.

With S1 and S2 app. we cannot combine multiple Household id in one controller (e.i phones, tablet,computer)

Customers cannot control multiple household IDs in one controller.

If you wish to still use one controller to control locations A and B, you need to de-register the current household id that is login in your controller and add a new product again in a different location vice-versa.

Recommendations, just get a separate controller in every location so that you don't need to reprogram the Sonos application every time you move from location A and B.

I hope i was clear on explaining why your not able to see all of your Sonos product in your application.

None of this was an issue prior to the S1 app.  This was seamless and as advertised before S1, is was Sonos.  There is no mixing of S1 and S2 all devices are S1.   When I google, Sonos household ID , the results are ‘let say not full of answers’  Do you have any detail or instruction on the the actions need to change the house hold ID ?

Questions:

Will we be able to use the same music library between sites like before?

Will we be able to share playlist between sites like before?

Do this affect product like the Sonos Soundbar Arc, this is impacting future considerations.

Comment:   I am not one of those folks who thinks of himself as special,  as former military , I think all people are very much alike.  All of our problems for the most part fall into large groups.  This said,  Sonos I would imagine you are impacting more of your users than you think.  I am sure you have the data.  My wife and have gone from” oh yeah you need to get a Sonos ” to “ uhm what is out there besides sonos ”

Hi @jhirley.

Thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

For your questions:

• Will we be able to use the same music library between sites like before? - Yes, for adding and updating your music library click here.
  • Will we be able to share playlist between sites like before? - Yes, you just need to log in to your music service again to S1 or S2 application.
  • Do this affect product like the Sonos Soundbar Arc, this is impacting future considerations. - You cannot group the S1 component to S2 speakers, upon double-checking in your diagnostic report all your Sonos products are S1. if your planning to buy an arc. you need to use two applications in one controller S1 application and S2 application.

So far those are the recommendations we can provide for the meantime.

Some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

@Mark P .

Do you have any detail or instruction on the the actions need to change the house hold ID ?

Hi @jhirley.

Thank you for replying to Sonos Community.

Apparently no one has access in Household ID. it's just an ID we used here to identify what are the speakers that are connected to your network,

@Mark P.

Do you have any detail or instruction on the the actions need to change the house hold ID ?

The ‘plain English’ about ‘Household ID’ is: When you first setup a Sonos product in the controller, it generates a Household ID. As long as you ‘Add Product’ to an existing system, it’s the same Household ID.

So, if you moved one of your Sonos products from your Home to the Weekend house, they might have the same Household ID, but simply can’t connect to the speakers in the other location.

If you created a New System when you first setup the first Sonos product in each location, then each location has it’s own Household ID, and you’re all good.

To be clear: Your Sonos App on your device, can know & control many Sonos Systems, as long as they are not on the same network (wifi, cabled etc..)
My App knows about at least 10 Sonos systems in different locations.

Hope it helps.

PS: On each network, you can have one S1 & one S2 system running, but only one of each.

Marook,

I have to ask myself what has changed ?  I split my amps/zone between homes years ago,  I am looking at my emails and my earliest sonos related email is from 2005.   It has always worked,  click on the app , it find the amps,  no matter what location and you pick your playlist and it works.

Now the new S1 app looks the same but it does not find the amps/zones on start up.   what is different?  is this a growing pain ?

Now the new S1 app looks the same but it does not find the amps/zones on start up.   what is different?  is this a growing pain ?

I am unclear, did you upgrade your devices to S2, or not? If you did you will need the S2 app to find them.

PS: On each network, you can have one S1 & one S2 system running, but only one of each.

You sure about that?