Skip to main content

I have a Play 1 and Play 3 and this morning the S1 app said my system is no longer compatible and I would need to upgrade to S2. My understanding from the Sonos website is that I don’t have to upgrade but it seems that is wrong. I’m basically stuck on one playlist because it won’t let me access the controls. Do I have to upgrade or do I have other options? 

You do not need to update to S2.  Also, updating to S2 requires you to physically download the S2 app.  Are you sure what you are seeing isn’t an upgrade to the lastest S1 software?

It comes up with this first

Then quickly goes to this and I can’t get past it  

All you have is a play:1 and play:3?  You don’t have the new Arc, Sub gen 3, or Sonos Five?

Yes two play 1s and a play 3. Nothing fancy. 

Sounds like I’m SOL. Sonos has royalty screwed up this upgrade. 

Seems Sonos is attempting to force Sonos community into the S2 App. On the S1 app home, a pop up asks if you want to upgrade however there is no way to close the page to access the S1 app. What gives Sonos?? Tell me how to skip the upgrade and/or access the S1 app. For S1 users check it out and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

The S1 App seems to disappeared from their website as of this am. My system is bricked. I’ve tried everything. I am not happy

Grnlan07,

I had the similar issue as you, I have a system with all Gen 2 products, and preferred not to update to the S2 app however everytime I tried to access my system via the S1 app, I was getting the same pop-up as you which said “the S1 controller was incompatible with my system” and I couldn’t x out of the pop up. Therefore, I had no access to my speakers via the app. Fortunately I could access my system using my Alexa-enabled Sonos Ones (thankfully I had those). They were the only way to access music.

Today i got in touch with Sonos customer support (I called at the stroke of 10). Customer support person insisted I had requested an update to the S2 app (impossible—since I was out of town w/out access to my phone or iPad) and that’s why it kept prompting me to update to the S2 app interface since Sonos saw that the system was already using S2 and you can’t go backwards to S1. Hint: Actually you can but you will need the help of Sonos and a laptop/desktop.

‘After requesting a supervisor to get past the person who kept insisting I requested the update and had noted that my system was already using S2 but without the controlling app, I determined Sonos had ‘auto-updated my system’ since I previously opted into auto updates. Just a note: the supervisor told me the auto-update feature was not supposed to update from S1 to S2.  In my case it did! Since I had the supervisor (Sean) on the line to address any hiccups, I updated to the S2 app.  Everything is working fine and all of my speakers were accessible in the app including 2 Sonance outdoor speakers running through a Sonos Connect (Gen 2) Amp.  Alls well that ends well??