Answered

Removal of lock screen and volume control iOS 2023

How does Sonos plan to solve the issue of accessing lock screen controls and device hardware button on iOS? Removing that functionality with release 15.6 on July 25, 2023 is a significant impact on the user experience. Our phones are the primary way we control the product so is there a solution other than having to unlock the phone every time we want to control the volume, change a track or turn the system off? Please clarify your plans or provide alternate solutions. Note: I do not use voice controls with my products, so that is not an alternative. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 27 July 2023, 16:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

There is already a thread about this here:

Here’s the release notes about the change.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.

The alternatives to controlling volume, mute, tracks that I’m aware of are:

• Voice control (acknowledging OP rejects this option)
  • Opening up app on phone (again, acknowledging rejection)
  • ‘hard buttons’ on the speakers themselves.
  • For home theatre room, TV remote controls will control volume and mute
  • Various third party smart home remotes
  • Using a different device (tablet, iPad, Mac, PC) that does not lock to control Sonos.

Are there any other methods I missed?  What other method would you want Sonos to create (either a device or software solution) for controls?

edit: Airplay would likely work.  If you initiated playback on Sonos via airplay, then Apple would surely let you control volume via the lock screen.

Badge +2

I ask a question and of course get everything except for what I inquired about Technology gone wrong again Q&A August 2nd 11:00 PT trying to make sure I can tune in or interact with this broadcast 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I thought the last four bullits in @melvimbe ’s post are answers to your question, which is “is there a solution other than having to unlock the phone every time we want to control the volume, change a track or turn the system off?”

Maybe it’s not what you want to hear, but these are the only solutions, especially since you do not want to use voice control (not even SVC? Why?).

I ask a question and of course get everything except for what I inquired about Technology gone wrong again Q&A August 2nd 11:00 PT trying to make sure I can tune in or interact with this broadcast 

I attempted to answer OPs questions as a fellow user.  You aren’t OP and didn’t post any questions in this thread, so I’m not sure what questions you are expecting answers for.

Thanks for feedback @Airgetlam and @melvimbe. Of my 8 speakers, only 1 has SVC, so that’s why that’s not a viable option. 

On the remote, which seems to be most viable solution, do you know of one that will control a group? I’ve read Reddit thread that Lutron Pico will only control one speaker or bonded speakers, which I think are similar to home theater option.  I don’t have an arc, playbar or beam, so no home theater to leverage. 

My use case is that I can’t turn down music (streaming from Sirius) before answering my phone if I can’t access controls from a locked screen. 

Thanks for feedback @Airgetlam and @melvimbe. Of my 8 speakers, only 1 has SVC, so that’s why that’s not a viable option. 

Makes sense.

On the remote, which seems to be most viable solution, do you know of one that will control a group? I’ve read Reddit thread that Lutron Pico will only control one speaker or bonded speakers, which I think are similar to home theater option.  I don’t have an arc, playbar or beam, so no home theater to leverage. 

I believe that is correct for Lutron.  I do have a couple remotes (I have the lutron light switches) and they are all tied to single rooms.  I also use Lutron to turn on/off lights and music in the morning when I wake up.

I also have the ikea remotes, but I don’t know if they can control a group or not.  I don’t use it that way.

My use case is that I can’t turn down music (streaming from Sirius) before answering my phone if I can’t access controls from a locked screen. 

I do not use it anymore, but there is/was an app called Yonomi where you could set an automation to automatically mute your Sonos whenever you receive a phone call.  I don’t get a ton of phone calls so didn’t have much use for it, but perhaps it works for you?  It would also do things like turn on/off Sonos when your phone leaves WiFi range, if I remember correctly.  There are probably other apps or Apply Home that you can setup these sort of automations.

You could ‘perhaps’ just slide the iOS Lock Screen right to show a 3rd-Party Home Screen ‘widget’ and control any Sonos player/group volume/play/pause/skip controls, rather than opening the Sonos App. See attached example.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Brutally disappointed that this functionality has been removed.  While voice controls do work, it was so simple to be able to control from iPhone or iPad without having to unlock the screen.  Hard to understand why Apple standards suddenly matter after having this functionality for years. 

Brutally disappointed that this functionality has been removed.  While voice controls do work, it was so simple to be able to control from iPhone or iPad without having to unlock the screen.  Hard to understand why Apple standards suddenly matter after having this functionality for years. 

Doesn’t Apple review every app in the App store?  Can’t they just decide that if you don’t remove this function, we’re going to remove your app?

I also think this is a big issue and disappointment!!😤 I also use the Sonos-app as discribed (without voice control etc.). Sonos, please devellop a widget for volume control on the lockscreey. I think you’ll make the Apple-users very happy.😄

I don’t think Apple wants any third party app to have that capability. As suggested before, they want to sell their own stuff. 

I still think that ‘sliding right’ at the Lock Screen, to reveal the iOS Home Screen and using the services of a 3rd-party ‘widget’ to control all Sonos speakers, without unlocking the mobile, seems to be quite a viable alternative🤔?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Maybe there is an opportunity for Sonos to design a handheld controller with no lock screen, automatically turns on when you pick it up, maybe it could have tactile hard buttons for volume and music selection, possibly an old school scroll wheel (like the original iPod) to scroll through music? Just a thought. 😀

I think Sonos got out of the ‘make our own controller’ business with the CR200. Too much, I’d think, change in features that make it hard to figure out the CPU and memory to make it ‘affordable and sale-able’.

Plus you’d need to add a team of programmers for support of just that device, as well as customer service…could be a fairly expensive corporate decision to take. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If Sonos would release a CR-100 version 2 the spouse might finally get off my back over hers going away. She might also start using Sonos again and not be so negative about me buying more.

I know, it isn’t going to happen. :-(

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

In case of any confusion, I was just jesting with some dry British humour, especially for those that remember the good old days. 😀

Update from Sonos - I had a nice chat with Ariel S, a customer service manager with Sonos today.  He’s been with Sonos for 5 years and was very courteous.  He confirmed several points regarding the removal of the controller from the lock screen. 

1. This is not a security issue nor was it initiated by Apple.  He said it has been unreliable and they do not want to invest further engineering or customer support time on it.  Simple profit/loss decision by Sonos. 

2. This is an Apple issue only - Android users continue to enjoy lock screen controls (as evidenced by edited instructions on Sonos site that no longer include iOS: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-from-the-android-lock-screen).

3. They have no current plans to add a widget for Apple users.

He also said if we as a community wanted to at least make Sonos aware of the frustration, we could either call the support number (800-680-2345 for US calls) or email ceo@sonos.com.  Obviously it doesn’t go to the CEO, but he said it would provide some tracking on the complaint.  

Also, thanks @Ken_Griffiths for the thought on the widget.  I’ve since learned there is no widget, but found multiple threads asking for it with someone named Corry P. from Sonos saying he would register the feature request and then cheerfully closing the thread.

Moderator edit: If we were to close a thread before all activity had stopped for 3 months (which is when they will automatically close), we would announce the fact on the thread before taking any action. It would usually be preceded by a request for people to get back on-topic, or to stop arguing.

How are you able to discern @Corry P ’s demeanor, especially as threads are automatically closed by the forum software for non-activity after a certain amount of time? Is there a possibility he was merely the last respondent, but didn’t close the thread(s) himself?

By no means does the last post in a thread automatically mean that poster was the one to close the thread.  Matter of fact, I almost guarantee if you hover over the time of the post and the time of the lock, a few months will have gone by from one to the other.  Simple fact; threads are automatically locked if they are inactive for a while, and this has no bearing on whether Sonos is currently taking action on the request. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Our phones are the primary way we control the product so is there a solution other than having to unlock the phone every time we want to control the volume, change a track or turn the system off? 

Perhaps the preferred method of Sonos control is to use the native App for the music source? If you use say Apple Music, Spotify, etc,  you get a widget on lock screen and hard volume buttons will control volume of the streaming music, ie the features that are missing in the Sonos App.

Is using the native Apps a better solution? Especially if you have guests who want to play music, using the native Apps that they are familiar with, and you don’t want to give them access to your phone to control volume etc?

The phone can still be the primary way you control the music.

Maybe there is an opportunity for Sonos to design a handheld controller with no lock screen, automatically turns on when you pick it up, maybe it could have tactile hard buttons for volume and music selection, possibly an old school scroll wheel (like the original iPod) to scroll through music? Just a thought. 😀

I don’t know that it would really help that much in this case, since the problem is adjusting the volume when a phone call comes in.  Unless you have the phone and the separate handhold controller right at hand, you are having to walk over to a different device before answer your phone.  It’s really not any better than the ikea/lutron remote options or the hard buttons on the speakers themselves.

And yes, I know there was jest here, I’m just saying that the ideal solution here is that audio automatically pauses or mutes when you receive or pick up a phone call.

But...I do think there is room for a handheld device that isn’t a phone/tablet for controlling smarthome.  Not dedicated to Sonos, but for lights, and other things as well.   Just don’t think we are at the point where such a solution can be practical and affordable just yet.

I’m just saying that the ideal solution here is that audio automatically pauses or mutes when you receive or pick up a phone call.

1. Phone (or FaceTime) rings
  2. “Hey Sonos, stop!”
  3. Answer call

Simple.

I’m just saying that the ideal solution here is that audio automatically pauses or mutes when you receive or pick up a phone call.

1. Phone (or FaceTime) rings
  2. “Hey Sonos, stop!”
  3. Answer call

Simple.

OP said voice control wasn’t an option.  And yes, the automation answer has it flaws too, since it does not know which specific Sonos room needs to be paused or if you opted to just step outside to take the call in this instance.