PLAYLIST PROBLEMS

• 11 February 2024
  • 27 replies

Badge +2

I am using Sonos One on a Mac. I make playlists using using Spotify, not Apple. There are two symbols on the Sonos playlist page. One is obviously shuffle; I think the other is repeat. I do not want to do either of these things. I just spent over three hours making a 54-song playlist, and I want it played in order, NOT shuffled.

I chose “play, even though it was grayed out (because there was no other choice) instead of the shuffle symbol above my playlist. But when the playlist went into the left-hand column to play, it automatically rearranged all 54 songs. This happens to ALL of my playlists; I have no control over it. But this one I wanted in order. Now it’s all jumbled up.

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why post this question three times? 

Badge +2

Because I still have the problem, and most answers are for devices, not a computer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Posting a question three times could mean the answers are posted on different parts of the community, which could obfuscate the right answer, especially for people looking for an answer later.

Badge +2

Great. Then I give up. Sonos sure isn’t what it used to be… I got an entirely wrong answer when I called in and spoke to someone about this. So no original playlists for me.

It sucks to get old. People just what to get rid of you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why give up? We’re steering all answers here now.

I must say I cannot recreate your problem, though. My Spotify playlist in Sonos (print screen down below) always plays in the same order when I press “Afspelen” (Play). Or am I not understanding you right?

Maybe someone else knows? You could check here regularly.

Badge +2

My Mac version of Sonos looks nothing like that. I can try to take a picture of it with my phone to post, but  I am clueless about screen shots on a computer. I will have to do that tomorrow. Thank you for hanging there with a grumpy old lady.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You’re welcome. Screenshot is indeed of made in my iPhone.

Badge +2

Well, now my computer has just quit working completely. Doing the same thing I took in into MACtlc to repair! We are so close to solving this Sonos problem, but now I have to take the computer back in. They fixed nothing for almost $200! Somedays you’re the windshield...
Can I pick up this thread again when I get the computer back?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course. Though I’m not sure if I can provide much more help, you could check here again when you have the time.

Badge +2

Thanks. I’m hauling the computer in tomorrow and will hopefully have it back by Friday. Really wanted to work on that playlist, but do not know if I can do that on an iPad. I never see a way to build a playlist there, only to play one.

Badge +2

An update: My entire logic board has to be replaced in my iMac. Sorry to drag this out. I have to wonder why they didn’t discover that problem the first time they had it in their shop. 
Anyway, I shall return!

Badge +2

At last I have a functioning iMac. As you can see from this Sonos page, there is no choice to play in order. Both symbols are ticked, and that’s how they remain. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In that screenshot you are not playing anything, and the queue is empty. Shuffle is only available when the queue has something loaded into it.

For a Spotify playlist, the buttons are at the top of the list. I don’t have a Mac, but this is what it looks like on my app on Windows once I have selected a Playlist:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And here is the Sonos PC app which likely looks identical on a Mac:

Badge +2

I have the app on my iPad Pro, not on my computer. I see no way to make a playlist on my iPad. That’s why I use my computer. Plus, I am using Sonos One.

I didn't move the playlist to the side where you actually play it because it would’ve further re-shuffled it. I can do that and take another photo if you wish.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I have the app on my iPad Pro, not on my computer. I see no way to make a playlist on my iPad. That’s why I use my computer. Plus, I am using Sonos One.

I didn't move the playlist to the side where you actually play it because it would’ve further re-shuffled it. I can do that and take another photo if you wish.

The iPad has the same features and my app was designed to look more like the iPad than the lame Desktop app.

You can create Sonos playlists on all devices, not sure why you can’t on an iPad.

And yes, a screenshot or three would really help in figuring out why you can’t find these features in the app.

Badge +2

These are from my iPad Pro Sonos app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This guide (for S1) should help: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/guides/s1

Badge +2

Thank you, 106rallye. Still no information about playing songs in order as opposed to being shuffled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thank you, 106rallye. Still no information about playing songs in order as opposed to being shuffled.

Based on the middle screenshot:

• Tap Spotify
  • scroll down to “Your playlists” and tap on one of them
  • at the top of the screen under the name of the playlist you will see Play and Shuffle buttons, that look similar to the first screenshot I posted
  • Tap whichever of those you desire

I tried this on both S1 and S2 iPad apps. Different colors, but same sequence.

Badge +2

So it’s Spotify,  it Sonos which is the culprit! Now I see light…

I have never been successful in making my Spotify playlists public, but that’s not your problem. I will try to contact them to figure that out. This particular playlist doesn’t show up there, so I still have a ways to go before I achieve my goal.

With gratiitude, narrowsparrow (retired 77 year-old teacher)

Just want to say I having exact same problem/question using Apple Music on my Mac. 

John

Seems like a new bug - I think there was a recent Mac update if I recall correctly.  On IOS, the Play goes in order, shuffle shuffles playlist and puts in Q. on Mac, it always shuffles.

Also, since it’s not at all clear on Mac UI, the behavior should be (based on IOS behavior, which makes sense), click on shuffle (second row) and it should indicate the shuffle setting is turned on by highlighting the icon in some way but that action does not actually do anything.  So then when clicking play icon/row which takes you to a play now option, the playlist should play in order if Shuffle is off, otherwise, it should shuffle and play.  Right now, Play Now shuffles and plays and Shuffle shuffles and plays.  That’s what I am seeing and my take on how it should behave.  I’ll see if I can find a way to report this.

Could not find a place to report bugs…