Skip to main content

I have all of my music on my iPhone and prefer to play it from my iPhone on my Sonos.

From what I have been reading, I can’t play it that way anymore. I have to either play it through my computer, a music streaming service or a NAS device.

i do NOT want my computer on all the time. I don’t want to pay an additional fee for a music streaming service. I bought and own all of my music.

There has to be a way to play the music I purchased from my iPhone to my Sonos speakers without having to pay an additional fee to listen to my iPhone, music and Sonos speakers I already paid for and own.

How can I do this?

Google Play Music allows you to upload your music and stream it back.  This is free.  Your router may have a slot for a USB flash drive on which you could store the music.  You could buy a NAS drive or a £/$50 Amazon Fire tablet.  You could wait a few seconds while your computer booted up, if you don’t want it to keep it permanently powered on.

AirPlay 2. Requires specific speakers to have it work, but the majority of Sonos speakers that are sold these days have it. I frequently use AirPlay 2 to a Sonos One, and then group that “room”with other rooms in my system that can’t be an AirPlay 2 receiver, and listen to the content that way. 

All of this is covered, rather extensively, in the main thread.

1. Free Google Play Music account.  Upload/match up to 50,000 tracks and play them from Sonos.  
  1. For very little expense, most routers have a USB port that allows you to connect a cheap (under $20 for 125 GB) thumb drive for a de facto NAS.  

Google Play Music allows you to upload your music and stream it back.  This is free.  Your router may have a slot for a USB flash drive on which you could store the music.  You could buy a NAS drive or a £/$50 Amazon Fire tablet.  You could wait a few seconds while your computer booted up, if you don’t want it to keep it permanently powered on.

I plugged my USB flash drive into my router and thought I had my music loaded into the Sonos app. (At least I was able to see it all listed there.) But when I go to play it, I get the same error...that it could not find the music.

AirPlay 2. Requires specific speakers to have it work, but the majority of Sonos speakers that are sold these days have it. I frequently use AirPlay 2 to a Sonos One, and then group that “room”with other rooms in my system that can’t be an AirPlay 2 receiver, and listen to the content that way. 

All of this is covered, rather extensively, in the main thread.

I have the pre-AirPlay Sonos speakers. That Sonos refuses to update. I have no intentions on wasting anymore money on adobos products. Since they don’t care about you after you purchase their products and they have your money.

I plugged my USB flash drive into my router and thought I had my music loaded into the Sonos app. (At least I was able to see it all listed there.) But when I go to play it, I get the same error...that it could not find the music.

I don’t know where you get Google Music is free. It gave me two options $9.99 of $14.99 a month.

I don’t know where you get Google Music is free. It gave me two options $9.99 of $14.99 a month.

I got the idea from Google. 

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/4515411?hl=en

Add your personal collection

You can store up to 50,000 of your songs for free.

Upload music to the cloud: To upload music to the cloud, you can use Music Manager or Google Play Music for Chrome. Music Manager is available for Mac, PC, and Linux. If you're using a Chrome browser or Chromebook, we recommend using Google Play Music for Chrome.

Transfer files to a specific device: To transfer files to a specific device, follow the instructions for transferring music from a computer to a device.

After the free trial, just cancel premium and you are on the free account.

Google Play music file storage is 100 percent free for up to 50,000 tracks. I have been storing and playing all of my personal music from the service for over a year now.  

just like Apple Music, you must sign up for an account, and provide a credit card.  You also will be asked to sign up for a free trial of their streaming service.  I signed up for the free trial to activate my account, and immediately cancelled the premium service.