Answered

Playing a short .wav file crashes speaker

• 13 April 2023
  • 8 replies

If I try to play a short .wav file, ie less than 45 KB, the speaker crashes and disconnects from the network.

Anything above 50 KB or so seems to work.

This is happening with all types of speakers including Play:5, Five, Play:1 and Amp.

This is something new but I’m not sure exactly when the trouble started.  I am currently on 15.2.1

Has anyone else noticed this?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 18 April 2023, 13:35

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thanks for reporting this - we don’t want our speakers crashing!

We were unable to reproduce this issue with a 12KB .wav file added to the Music Library, however, so we’ll need a little more information. Can you please let me know the following:

• As many details about the .wav file as you can gather - the sample rate, the bitrate, the compression method (if present - wavs are usually uncompressed), number of channels (mono or stereo), etc.
  • The method by which you are initiating playback - as I mentioned, we tested with Media Library, but I’m guessing you are playing notification sounds and may therefore be using IFTTT and/or UPnP in a home automation setup, for example
  • The light behaviour of the affected unit when it crashes - colour and flashing or steady.

If possible, rather than listing the file details, it would be better if you can actually supply us with one of these files - if you can share it via Dropbox or Google Drive, for example, please post a link to the file here (I don’t think you’ll be able to post the actual audio file here on the thread, but you are welcome to try).

Finally, please perform the following steps on your Five or Amp:

1. With the unit on and operational, hold the Connect button at the back of the unit (usually only used for setup) on your Five or Amp for 10 seconds until the light changes to red. Be sure to let go before you reach 15 seconds (no danger - you’ll just need to try again).
  2. The light will cycle from red through various colours - once it has returned to red, press and release the Connect button to exit this mode.
  3. Recreate the issue.
  4. Once you have recovered the speaker from it’s apparent crash and it appears in the Sonos app once more, please immediately submit a support diagnostic and include the given number in your reply here (the forum’s spam filter may remove your post, mistaking the diagnostic number for a telephone number, but don’t worry if this happens - I’ll see the post and restore it).

I look forward to hearing back from you, and thank you for your assistance.

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the response.

The offending .wav files were originally created by a home automation system (HomeSeer), but I copied one of the files over to my Music Library and played it from there.  The same error occurs when I play it from Music Library or through HomeSeer.

Here is a link to the .wav file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kGUbgX-XulcTfYKxBKxNRjRX-omi6rT-/view?usp=sharing

I submitted a diagnostic (1872110424)

When I play the file, the light on the Amp stayed steady white.  In the app, the speaker loses network connection with a red dot for about 15 seconds then comes back on line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

Thank you! I’ll pass this on to an engineer for testing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

I too was able to get some strange behaviour from my Amp when trying to play that file, so you are not alone. Not from my stereo pair of Sonos Ones, however - they played it without issue.

Can you please confirm which speakers it seems to be affecting? You mentioned Play:1, Play:5, Five and Amp - does it affect your Play:3, Connect:Amp, Roam or Port?

I tested all my speakers and this is what I come up with (sorry for the initial innaccuracies)

Errors on Play:5, Five, Amp, Port

No Errors with Play:1, Play:3, Connect:Amp, Roam

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

No problem at all - thanks for the information, and for the time you spent getting it for me.

Once I learn more, I will keep you informed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

This is just to let you know that we have verified that there is indeed an issue and we’ve created a ticket for it. There’s no estimation as to how long it will take to action a resolution, however.

Thank you again for reporting this behaviour!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @prsmith777 

We believe this issue has now been resolved. Please test, and if you find out otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks again!