Answered

Play whole catalog of one artist on Apple Music via Sonos Controller (Mac/ios)

• 24 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I would like to play all the albums of one artist from Apple Music.  I can’t figure out any way to do this in the Sonos Controller on either the Mac or the iPhone.  I can do this via Alexa.  I can do this via the Apple Music app/iTunes via AIrplay.  Why can’t this be done via the Sonos Controller?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 2 January 2024, 15:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aholmes5 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Yes - when you have a specific artist playing, on the Now Playing screen, you should be able to tap the ellipsis (...) and choose Start Radio or Browse the Artist.

Alternatively, in New Search, after tapping on the Artist, you can tap on the ellipsis there (top right) and choose More… and then Start Station.

I hope this helps.

That doesn’t play only the artist.  That makes a “radio station” that will play one song by the artist then play similar songs.  When you say “Alexa, play Taylor Swift” or “Hey Sonos, play Taylor Swift”, you only get Taylor Swift from all of her available albums.  This doesn’t seem to be an Apple Music API issue as Hey Sonos and Alexa work perfectly.  This is missing functionality in the Sonos App.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aholmes5 

Apologies - you are correct. I didn’t realise that the queue is not in use when the above steps are followed, so I didn’t realise something else was going to play when I was testing.

You may want to look into using another service if this is important to you. Apple are responsible for what options are available when browsing the Apple Music container within the Sonos app - although there is no option to play all tracks by a particular artist in the Apple Music container, there is in the containers for some other services, as is evidenced by this screenshot of the YouTube Music container, where “Artist Shuffle” will do what you require:

Of course, you could always request of Apple that they add the option to their Sonos integration.

I hope this helps.

But it works with the Hey Sonos voice assistant and the Alexa voice assistant.  That means that the functionality is exposed in the Apple Music API and just the Sonos app isn’t using it.   This needs to be added to the Sonos app.  The Sonos team already added it to the Hey Sonos voice assistant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @aholmes5 

Sonos does not utilise the APIs of any music services - they utilise our SMAPI (Sonos Music Application Programming Interface) instead, and Apple crafted the implementation of it that you see in the Sonos app once you tap on Apple Music in the Browse section.

Playback resulting from voice command is handled completely differently - that’s why I made the mistake I made before when the queue was not in use:

Apologies - you are correct. I didn’t realise that the queue is not in use when the above steps are followed, so I didn’t realise something else was going to play when I was testing.

I hope this clears things up.