Skip to main content
I have a play 5 and 1, I am able to connect them manually, but everytime I start to use them again the play 1 is disconnected from the 5.. and I have to connect them again manually by grouping them.. Very annoying!

Is there a setting where I just can group them indefinitely without having to do that everyday??

Thanks
Generally speaking, grouped speakers are supposed to stay grouped, unless there's some sort of event that causes them to ungroup. Having said that, the only thing I can think of would be an alarm.

What's the source of the music that you're playing? How do you start the music playing?

As an example, I play a rather large playlist from my NAS every morning in both my bedroom and the bathroom. When I get out of bed, I start playback by saying "Echo, resume in bathroom". Since I had previously grouped the bathroom and bedroom speakers, they both resume playing the playlist from the last place I was when I stopped them.

I don't use alarms on my Sonos, but it's my understanding that they do cause the speaker that the alarm is on to ungroup from any speakers/rooms that it is associated with.

Under the assumption that you're using your controller app, when you open it before starting, do the speakers show up as being in the same group that you had them previously? If not, what's the general length of time from when you stopped playing them as grouped, and then on reopening the app they are not? Not looking for a specific 23.2 minutes, but more of a "it's usually about 6 to 8 hours between".

There's a more remote possibility. It's possible that if the one "room" or the other loses network connection, it might not group back up when it gets back on the wifi. So it may be worth letting us know if you're having any disconnection/skipping/repeating music issues, too.

Hope this rambling post is some help.
I wonder if it might be the router assigning the Sonos different addresses breaking the grouping?

Assigning static / reserved IP addresses from the router's DHCP page might solve that.

I have Groups that have been stable for months now with no problems.
Ah, one room going to a different subnet with the same SSID name? I suppose that would be possible.
How do you "assign a static IP address from the router's DHCP page"?
Depends on which router you own, and the version of the firmware it is running. I'd recommend taking a look at your router's manual.

It's unfortunate that each router company chooses to do this in disparate manners, otherwise it would have been a lot easier for Sonos to write a process of some kind to do this as part of the installation.
OK. I went to the Netgear site and figured it out, but it still didn't work. I switched to the wifi setup and eliminated the bridge and it appeared to work, but that is a bummer because I wanted the bridge set up. It had better range than my wifi. I may not be able to use the speakers upstairs now. If there are other solutions, let me know.
Did you try replacing the power supply on the bridge?

That is a common failure point on the old Bridges and about $20 to replace on Amazon, maybe less elsewhere.

If that doesn't fix it call Sonos and ask about getting a Boost as a replacement for the Bridge.
I tried removing the bridge from the system and re-set it up to just use wifi and it still happened. The only difference is that it played music for several hours yesterday on this set up. When I logged onto the PC this morning, sonos was disconnected from the controller again. Wow. This is getting weird.
I tried removing the bridge from the system and re-set it up to just use wifi and it still happened. The only difference is that it played music for several hours yesterday on this set up. When I logged onto the PC this morning, sonos was disconnected from the controller again. Wow. This is getting weird.the_roscoes,

I have listed a few things here in this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/community-feedback-229090/sonos-years-of-ownership-6809145/index1.html#post16257514

If you have a chance to work through them carefully, they may (hopefully) help your network stability with your Sonos speakers. You may not need to do them all, but it might, at the very least, give you some further things to try.