Skip to main content

Hi,

As you all know, Sonos removed the ability to added new devices through the S1 PC app last year. What a nightmare this has been for Sonos installers as now when a device magically removes itself we have to call the home owner and talk them through adding the device on their mobile app. Before the S1 app days we would simply remote into the PC in the comms cabinet rack and add the device for them.

At least we can still re-authorise music services from the S1 app when the spotiy password changes.

Does the S2 app this bring back the ability to add devices through the PC app?

Does the S2 app this bring back the ability to add devices through the PC app?

No. The features/abilities of the PC/Mac controller are the same in S1 and S2.

Very interesting, I assumed they would be in the S2 app to force you to replace your kit with s2 compatible kit.

Does anyone know why on earth they crippled the PC app last year? It makes it impossible to manage them remotely for end users.

Does anyone know why on earth they crippled the PC app last year? It makes it impossible to manage them remotely for end users.

Because PC usage was too low, they said. I’m not sure how much I buy that, especially as Desktop was the only way to get a wired diagnostic from the system. More likely that their new Wizard framework relied on Flutter, and Flutter was not available on desktop (though its in alpha now).

What kind of actions do you miss from the PC app? I could add them to my PC app if there is enough of a need, though I’m never going to add Setup or Add Device. I already put Rename Player into it as that was a no brainer.