patch 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have to agree that music sounds worse after 14.12, retuned truplay on ot off doesn't matter to my ears. Arc with sub and surrounds 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have to agree that music sounds worse after 14.12, retuned truplay on ot off doesn't matter to my ears. Arc with sub and surrounds 

Going to amend my remarks after listening for a couple hours at various volume levels.

Focusing on clarity etc, I perceived (not measured) some of the claimed improvement in speech clarity at lower volume. And I don't note any, much less significant, difference in perceived volume level at my typical listening settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Did the update yesterday. Redid Trueplay, but I found the dialogs on the Arc to be rather worse than improved. I watched the latest episode of Better Call Saul on Netflix and it was like they were all in a box or something. Very muddy and not crisp at all. Maybe a coincidence. Will have to watch more to see if it was incidental.

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

While I get what you’re coming from, and would agree that some rooms will get a better benefit that others, I’d say it adds significant value.  For one thing, Sonos does seem to require a significant amount of testing and develop whenever a new iOS device is on the market.  If trueplay wasn’t that effective, I would expect that enabling on new devices would be rather quick.  I’d also expect that they would give autotrueplay on some non-portable devices, if there was little difference between trueplay and auto trueplay.

As far as not having their own mic device for android users, I think it may just be that the market is too small for that.   If you have one or two Sonos speakers, do you want to pay $50 (or whatever) for the extra tuning?  If you have a whole home system, it makes some sense, but then you have a device you theoretically no longer need.  Do you go ahead and sell it, which then means a smaller market for Sonos to sell these new? And of course, if you are pro installer, you only need one. 

Userlevel 2

In most rooms, I’ve perceived little to no improvement, and in fact often leave TruePlay off. I do pay attention to speaker placement, and it does help when there’s not an ideal placement available. But to say that Android users are getting ¾ the experience seems to be a bit much from my perspective. I truly believe that if Sonos felt is was a “requirement” to get their speakers sounding perfectly, they’d have created a device, as suggested. The fact that they haven’t leads me to the supposition that it’s merely an “add on” without significant enough value to rate that kind of treatment. It’s nifty, when it works, but I also don’t believe that when it’s not there, you’re getting less. 

I do believe there’s mostly value in the other “self” tuning that Sonos does for individual speakers, but the fact that Sonos have not created a way for non-iOS users to achieve TruePlay is indicative to me that it’s not “all that and a bag of chips” . I do think people’s perception of the value there is overblown. 

While I get what you’re coming from, and would agree that some rooms will get a better benefit that others, I’d say it adds significant value.  For one thing, Sonos does seem to require a significant amount of testing and develop whenever a new iOS device is on the market.  If trueplay wasn’t that effective, I would expect that enabling on new devices would be rather quick.  I’d also expect that they would give autotrueplay on some non-portable devices, if there was little difference between trueplay and auto trueplay.

As far as not having their own mic device for android users, I think it may just be that the market is too small for that.   If you have one or two Sonos speakers, do you want to pay $50 (or whatever) for the extra tuning?  If you have a whole home system, it makes some sense, but then you have a device you theoretically no longer need.  Do you go ahead and sell it, which then means a smaller market for Sonos to sell these new? And of course, if you are pro installer, you only need one. 

I agree with aspects of what you are both saying here. However, I am an android phone user, but I have the newest ipad pro 12.9”, so neither of these devices will allow me to run trueplay. 

I had to buy an ipod touch off of ebay earlier this year just to run trueplay. Last night I updated my Arc and fired up the ipod touch that’s only used for trueplay. It can’t be updated to the latest version of IOS and therefore the sonos app, so I can’t run trueplay in my living room any more - even though I have an old IOS device and a new one.

This is really frustrating, and I would gladly pay for a device which allows me to run trueplay and doesn’t end up unsupported due to software updates at some point. Now I have to borrow someone’s iphone, which is a real annoyance and doesn’t allow me to re-run the trueplay routine when needed without hassling someone for a phone.

And it’s not as if I don’t have an IOS device. I have 2. It’s kind of BS on top of the sonos tax we’re all already willingly paying. That’s my .02  (:

This is really frustrating, and I would gladly pay for a device which allows me to run trueplay and doesn’t end up unsupported due to software updates at some point. Now I have to borrow someone’s iphone, which is a real annoyance and doesn’t allow me to re-run the trueplay routine when needed without hassling someone for a phone.

How much would you pay for a trueplay only mic device?  $50?  $100?  $200?

Worth noting I think that Trueplay isn’t just about the mic.  After you record the sample audio, your iOS device is processing the data.  Can that same processing be done on an android? Or is part of the processing relying on iOS code that intefaces and manages the iOS mic?  I don’t know, I’m just speculating at the possiblity that a device for trueplay may require some computing power in the hardware and just a mic with known characteristics.

Userlevel 2

I am not happy with this update. They could have fixed the dialog issue with giving us a center volume control. Now we have all been forced to use their dialog enhancement, which first off seems lower volume than it was before the update. I still need to use the dialog enhancement setting, and now it sounds even more tinny than before. I had trueplay calibration done perfectly for my room over much trial and error and now I have ran it 4 times and can't get it to sound as good as it did before. Sonos needs to provide an update to return the Arc to the way it was before,because this update has ruined things. Also I had an error at the end of the update that said the Arc disconnected during the update and to try again. I clicked the try again and it said everything is up to date. The Arc shows the correct firmware. Not sure what to do now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

While I don't have an Arc so have not lost trueplay on anything, I too am on Android and have an old iPod touch that I just used for trueplay. Like the above poster, it now does not support the latest Sonos update so cannot be used anymore. Bit disappointed as it was so useful to have just for trueplay. Not planning on changing my set up so I just hope I don't lose my trueplay settings in the future due to future updates. I get that as updates come online, older devices may not be able to support the Sonos app but still a bit gutted 

Userlevel 7

I updated my system to 14.12. After redoing Trueplay and testing a few different sources, I’m happy to report that I have not experienced the lower volume levels that other users have reported.

I have noticed an improvement in dialog clarity. Dialog sounds a little fuller and more pronounced than it did before. It is enough of an improvement that I don’t think I will need to use Speech Enhancement as much as I have in the past.

Userlevel 1

I am not happy with this update. They could have fixed the dialog issue with giving us a center volume control. Now we have all been forced to use their dialog enhancement, which first off seems lower volume than it was before the update. I still need to use the dialog enhancement setting, and now it sounds even more tinny than before. I had trueplay calibration done perfectly for my room over much trial and error and now I have ran it 4 times and can't get it to sound as good as it did before. Sonos needs to provide an update to return the Arc to the way it was before,because this update has ruined things. Also I had an error at the end of the update that said the Arc disconnected during the update and to try again. I clicked the try again and it said everything is up to date. The Arc shows the correct firmware. Not sure what to do now. 

Exactly the same for me. I got the same error message at the end of the update. I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

There is wide disagreement with respect to ‘enough’ bass. You can adjust the SUB level at Settings → System → [ARC] → Sub Audio.

Only you know what sounds “best”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As for my Moves, which are my favourite speakers, as trueplay is built in i can’t comment what the difference is as there is no before and after to compose as you can’t turn the trueplay on and off like other speakers.

However what i do find is that set up a nice distance from a garden lounger they are easily my favourite speakers. They rate higher than my Play 5s and sub. Also friends visiting can’t get over how good the sound is.

This is why after was soo annoyed when they stopped working after one of the recent updates. 

The Move has always been ok on S1, along with other issues on top that has made me very reluctant to move to S2 (and buy the Arc). 

Seems Sonos can't help but mess around with their systems, luckily S1 has been left alone recently.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

My Trueplay has vanished altogether. Not even greyed out, just completely gone as an option. I have the arc, sub and 2 ones.

Userlevel 1

I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

There is wide disagreement with respect to ‘enough’ bass. You can adjust the SUB level at Settings → System → [arc] → Sub Audio.

Only you know what sounds “best”.

I had the „best“ bass for me before the update. Same settings set under sub audio after the update und it’s not the same. If I must set now instead of +2 before +15 now…. something must going wrong….

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Yep, can confirm after 14.12 update everything is at least 10 volume levels less. Clarity wasn't an issue in the first place. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm not happy with this update whatsoever

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Exactly the same for me. I got the same error message at the end of the update. I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

Couldnt agree more. Everything is at least 10 volume levels less and just sounds treble biased now, almost tinny. What a shame my £1500 has been ruined by a pathetic update. If it sounded like this in store I simply wouldn't have purchased it. Very angered.

Userlevel 7

For those who are experiencing the significantly lower volume levels, I’m curious to know what your setup is. What model TV is the Arc connected to? What media devices are you using? Is the lower volume with both TV and music audio?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

For those who are experiencing the significantly lower volume levels, I’m curious to know what your setup is. What model TV is the Arc connected to? What media devices are you using? Is the lower volume with both TV and music audio?

I have an lgb8 tv and panasonic 820 bluray plus apple tv 4k the issue is on all sources connected even my xbox series x when gaming 

Edit:

Just tried my fire tv cube as well it's the same

Cannot comment on music as i rarely use my arc but I tried music with the same settings as i watch movies and TV and it's the same level 

for music playback I use 2 5's and sub for that which are unaffected 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Update made the system sound horrible. Before my sub was on 2 now on 8 and still does not sound the same. This is with music and movies. 
sound cheap!!!
Sonos please revert back or fix it.  

Userlevel 3

Not a fan of this update. I just brought my setup arc and sub 3 and was loving it! But these settings have made my sub not sound as good. I can feel the difference and it's not as loud from a far. The settings don't fix it either. I can tell they lowered 30-40hz in the sub and made the arc sound too midrange like. I wish they would rollback the update so I can enjoy the system like I was. I don't have a iPhone to do trueplay. A lot of other people are complaining on the Sonos Facebook page as well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Arc, Sub and Surrounds here. Everything is at least 10 volume levels lower than before. Sounds a lot more tinny now and treble biased. Sonos need to remember the Arc won awards for how it sounded originally. It would not even come runner up with how it sounds now. A 3 minute software update has turned the whole lot into an utter shambles and a pain to the ears. If I heard it like this in a store I simply wouldn't have bought it. I was proud to have Sonos in my lounge, heaven forbid I get visitors wanting a demo because it's now shameful and an embarrassment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Not a fan of this update. I just brought my setup arc and sub 3 and was loving it! But these settings have made my sub not sound as good. I can feel the difference and it's not as loud from a far. The settings don't fix it either. I can tell they lowered 30-40hz in the sub and made the arc sound too midrange like. I wish they would rollback the update so I can enjoy the system like I was. I don't have a iPhone to do trueplay. A lot of other people are complaining on the Sonos Facebook page as well. 

Arc, Sub and Surrounds here. Everything is at least 10 volume levels lower than before. Sounds a lot more tinny now and treble biased. Sonos need to remember the Arc won awards for how it sounded originally. It would not even come runner up with how it sounds now. A 3 minute software update has turned the whole lot into an utter shambles and a pain to the ears. If I heard it like this in a store I simply wouldn't have bought it. I was proud to have Sonos in my lounge, heaven forbid I get visitors wanting a demo because it's now shameful and an embarrassment.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I just updated my sonos setup to 14.12 and all I can say is that I’m very dissappointed with Sonos.  I have an Arc, sub x 2 (Gen 2 and Gen 3) and 2 play One’s.  Since the update, I’ve redone the trueplay and I can feel the subs moving but there is no bass.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I’ve turned the sub level to max and there was barely any difference.  I also reboot the entire system and no change.

Arc, Sub and Surrounds here too. Everything is at least 10 volume levels lower than before. Sounds a lot more tinny now and mid-treble biased. Sonos need to remember the Arc won awards for how it sounded originally. It would not even come runner up with how it sounds now. A 3 minute software update has turned the whole lot into an utter shambles and a pain to the ears. If I heard it like this in a store I simply wouldn't have bought it. I was proud to have Sonos in my lounge, heaven forbid I get visitors wanting a demo because it's now shameful and an embarrassment.

Userlevel 3

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Other than having to increase the volume, do you notice any improvement with the audio quality especially with dialog?

Just a lot of midrange. It's offensive 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This update ruined my sub. Now it sounds like a 100 dollar Chinese plastic speaker ☹️