Password to avoid guests changing music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

186 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Legnum - I'm with you on the guests in house showing some respect thing. I mean if I am willing to give someone my wifi password. Then they open up sonos and it asks for password for Sonos - what would I say then "No I trust you with my computer network and files but I don't trust your music taste sorry". I mean the average person is going to give them the Sonos password then too.

It isn't a password for the entire app that I would want. What I want is a basic mode and power user mode that the power user can unlock with a pin code in setup. Basic users can only add songs to the end of a queue and not much more. No volume control, no grouping control etc. And this really is just for the fact that inexperienced users (and even myself sometimes) can accidentally play next or replace queue in a hurry.

So in this case everyone has access to the Sonos app. However, me as the power user can control volume and review songs being added to the queue (and move them up or down, delete to my liking). Collaboration with some monitoring.

Troll bait? Physician, heal thyself.

You are the one who continuously derails threads by making it about the posters and not the posts. Not once have I veered off-topic until I was attacked for my post count or my posting style (which, as we all know, is difficult to judge over the internet, and is more often a reflection on the reader, not the poster). So why don't YOU take it to PM the next time you have a personal problem with my posting style. Or better yet, if you feel I'm abusing anyone, report the post and let the mods do their job instead of you. That way, we can all ignore you and get back on topic? Deal?

Again let's get back on topic I'm not taking the bait. Typical Tuesday. If you would like to discuss further feel free to pm.

Edited Post: Stay courteous Max. P.
As I stated earlier on in the thread, I agree with Chris. "Party" mode where the host controls the settings, groupings, queue editing, etc. and the guests get to add to the end of the queue is a use case that cannot be covered by other (more effective) means.
Guess I'll never understand folks who ask continuously for an obscure feature that might be of interest to 100 customers. If the cost to implement outweighs the benefits, it simply won't happen. Move on, end of discussion. But they just don't get it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I fail to see how party mode would be in any way an obscure feature. It would allow sonos to work much like any jukebox since the 1940s. People can queue up songs, but thats it.

The guest wifi offers a part solution in keeping guests off your private home network, but it doesn't allow them to contribute to the party by adding music.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I like the idea of being able to interfere with my neighbours / friends system, but then I have a bizarre sense of humour.....

This is a slightly bizarre request - after all how many people have friends that would simply start helping themselves to the contents of your fridge without asking, would you need a lock on all of your cupboard doors? Only my close family would do that, no one else would, any more than they would download the sonos app and start operating my system. I can understand kids friends doing it, but that's just down to parental discipline and control surely - if you're there then it's easy enough to stop them, if you're not there, hide the gear somewhere, or disable it.
How about a real scenario: I want to buy my daughter a Sonos for her dorm room, but on the school's network, the player would be open to anyone else in the building. How can she lock it down to just herself?
Get her a NetGear Trek so she can tap into the school's wifi but yet have Sonos connected to it securely.
I thought about that but it just adds a level of complexity a 19 y/o nursing student doesn't need. I don't want to be tech support just so she can get her jam on.
It would really be quite simple in her dorm. I take it on the road in my RV and most of the time it works well, but when WIFI is wonky, that is when I struggle with it. With a solid constant signal, once she is set up, she will be fine. You can even get her a regular wireless router to plug into the school's network if it is a wired type.
I thought about that but it just adds a level of complexity a 19 y/o nursing student doesn't need. I don't want to be tech support just so she can get her jam on.
It's surely better that than a Sonos player bursting into life at 4 a.m. because someone thought it might be 'fun'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Buy her a radio
My friend also has a sonos system and every time he comes around and gets drunk he starts changing the music on my sonos which is really annoying. Another thing he does as a practical joke is sets my alarm on the sonos for 3 in the morning at full blast cmon sonos just put a four digit pin to access each system so I can keep the serial pest from messing with my toons and sleep.
Thanks in advance
My friend also has a sonos system and every time he comes around and gets drunk he starts changing the music on my sonos which is really annoying. Another thing he does as a practical joke is sets my alarm on the sonos for 3 in the morning at full blast cmon sonos just put a four digit pin to access each system so I can keep the serial pest from messing with my toons and sleep.
Thanks in advance

Lol +1
cmon sonos do it for the drunk people!
yeah sonos at least having the option to lock people out would be nice for us drunk people the sober somber people can do what they like
I am surprised if there is such a demand for this that nobody has developed an app to control Sonos that only includes the jukrbox features you want a guest to use and simply doesn't have the controls to cause problems. If guests are restricted to a guest network or just not given Wi-Fi access at all then they are prevented from using their own copy of the regular Sonos app. The host can pass around a tablet that only has the special "guest app" on it so folks can participate in adding songs without causing mischief. There is no reason this needs to come from Sonos.
Thanks in advance

Just change your wireless password, or put the Sonos on one network and set up a guest network for anyone that you can't trust... It's entirely under your own control... Simples....
This is ridiculous. No one asked for workarounds, this man is asking for a feature that is now 4 years in request at least. Just implement it, it is clearly a feature that users want. Whether or not there are workarounds is not the point, there are many reasons why one would want to lock a playlist. I, for example, have a sonos in my restaurant, and this means employees have access from the main device. They are adding spotify, and I've already fired 3 employees for changing the music without permission. If I can lock everyone out, so that they can only play from the playlist but still have the ability to change the songs, it would fool proof this. I'm not asking anyone for suggestions, this is the only way and its a simple feature to implement.

Your workarounds don't solve my problem, and even if they did there is a better way, just add a security feature to lock a specific playlist.
This is ridiculous. No one asked for workarounds, this man is asking for a feature that is now 4 years in request at least. Just implement it, it is clearly a feature that users want.

The fact that it hasn't been implemented in over 4 years is a pretty good indication that it's not going to be done, I'd have thought. You speak as if there's a huge groundswell of people asking for this, but there's actually very few, judging from the numbers here... Why would Sonos waste time and money implementing something that so few people want, and most people don't want at all? Particularly when their development focus is elsewhere at the moment.
This is ridiculous. No one asked for workarounds, this man is asking for a feature that is now 4 years in request at least. Just implement it, it is clearly a feature that users want.

The fact that it hasn't been implemented in over 4 years is a pretty good indication that it's not going to be done, I'd have thought. You speak as if there's a huge groundswell of people asking for this, but there's actually very few, judging from the numbers here... Why would Sonos waste time and money implementing something that so few people want, and most people don't want at all? Particularly when their development focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Why? Because there are a handful, 144 replies to this thread. Its a simple implementation, and doesn't require a lot of attention. Sonos can listen to their users, or we can switch to a company that has this. It has its uses, and there have been a few scenarios mentioned here. It doesn't have to be invasive, no one needs to even know this feature exists except people who want to use it. There are cases where you want to limit access to the main device that uses the Sonos controller, in my example, no one has access to my network so I don't even need a guest networks, however, I need to lock out people from using playlists, services, and radio stations that are not approved by the manager. I understand that since its been 4 years there seems to be no rush, which is why I also posted here (to hopefully get sonos engineers to think about this again).
Why? Because there are a handful, 144 replies to this thread.

And probably half of them explaining why it's very unlikely to happen, and how people can get round it.
Why? Because there are a handful, 144 replies to this thread.

And probably half of them explaining why it's very unlikely to happen, and how people can get round it.

And the workarounds don't address the problem for me at all. For others, it doesn't directly address the problem. Thanks for your input, but my message was meant for Sonos engineers only as its a recommendation to implement the feature. As a user, advanced or not, you are not providing any useful information, just playing devils advocate.
Got my Sonos bass and play bar for the house and really love the product. Had a party recently and one of my drunken friends kept wacking the volume up to full blast and thought that this was funny when he was standing out in the garden at 2 am. Ended up unplugging the play bar. Got really pissed off. After spending 1800 euros a fantastic piece of kit, I would love to be able to block anyone that would otherwise gain access to the sonos and act the mick with it, easily through the app.
Why did you give him your wifi password?
Got my Sonos bass and play bar for the house and really love the product. Had a party recently and one of my drunken friends kept wacking the volume up to full blast and thought that this was funny when he was standing out in the garden at 2 am. Ended up unplugging the play bar. Got really pissed off. After spending 1800 euros a fantastic piece of kit, I would love to be able to block anyone that would otherwise gain access to the sonos and act the mick with it, easily through the app.

Sonos requires access to your entire LAN. If you don't trust somebody to not clown around with your music, you certainly don't want them with access to your personal data. Modern routers almost all have a Guest WiFi for these situations. Keep your private WiFi secret and give the Guest SSID and password to your guests.