Password to avoid guests changing music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

186 replies

For the paranoid a simple workaround is to have a single component from a different Household -- a BRIDGE will do -- on the same subnet. You'll then be asked to press buttons as before.

Hmm thanks for the tip, not perfect but might be good enough for my purposes.
Badge
People know the button-pressing trick, too, so unless the equipment is all stashed, that doesn't work.

jgatie -- for all of those applications, PIN would only be required once. If you install the app and type in the PIN once, then your phone always can access and change any of the permissions for any of the zones. It would authorize the app on your phone as a superuser, and that could be only once! (Or if you *want* to authorize every time, you could set it to prompt you every time the app started).
And what about the complaints that if one gives their phone to a child, or to a guest, or you have a community tablet like in many homes? What if you wish to give some functions to some people, like older children and guests, but don't want them to be super users? And in the case of room passwords, what keeps a non-super user from having to enter a passcode every time they need to play something in a room where they are actually authorized? Do you have multiple passcodes for these people that varies with the amount of power given? Maybe a passcode for each room? Gets complicated, doesn't it?

We could go on for pages and pages over minutia that isn't even in your personal wish, and that have use cases that vary to infinity.

Brass tacks? Just setup a Guest network. Problem (at least your problem) is then solved.
Badge
If you create a community tablet or if you hand your unlocked phone to someone else, well haven't you then ceded permission to any user to operate the system? You are right that in the ideal world you could turn on a PIN for certain zones so that really only you could use that zone if holding that unlocked device. And that person would choose to turn that PIN on. And so it would only be a nuisance for the users who opt to do that.

It doesn't get complicated at all. What you are describing would be great and not all that hard. And yes it would generate cases that might require people who set up elaborate padlocks to undo those padlocks every time. But those folks would have to choose to set up all the padlocks in the first place! No one is claiming these should be mandatory. A single PIN on the app would cover a large percentage of use cases, and if Sonos were to add more PINs for more use cases, great. Windows has this stuff when you log in, and you can set different permissions for each file in your whole OS depending on login. Permissioning is very widespread, very accepted practice, and somewhat expected these days.
Have you set up your guest network yet, or are you going to continue to harangue Sonos for something the CEO himself has said is not coming?
Badge
I wouldn't call it haranguing, but as you wish. Perhaps I'll stop "haranguing" a corporation that has no problem seeing feedback on its forums and assessing it dispassionately when you stop haranguing individual users on a forum. You may be a "Rock Star" with almost 10,000 replies, but that is clearly no measure of your respectful treatment of those with different opinions from yours.
People know the button-pressing trick, too, so unless the equipment is all stashed, that doesn't work.

Sorry, man... but if you have to lock up your equipment to keep friends and family from abusing it, you have bigger problems than Sonos applying a password. Again, set up a guest network and be done with it.
Isn't this just a music system we are talking about?!

Are there any concerns that private/sensitive data can be hacked via a Sonos system back door entry to the Wifi network? And is a Sonos password still needed if the Home Wifi network is password protected from guest access, from guests that are the out of control types? If that protection is in place, does that meet the needs?

Or am I missing something obvious?
Thats the crux of it... People are giving out their WIFI passwords and expecting Sonos to solve that problem by keeping people from starting players or changing music selections... because they were given the WIFI passwords.
I see. I for one am glad there isn't one more password to be used, life is complicated enough already. Do TVs of the the day have passwords to prevent channel changing? If no, I hope they never do in future as well!

I see the Wifi password as quite enough to keep Sonos restricted to people I know and trust and don't see any need for another password to remember. I use a hidden network name as well.

I can see the case for this to be optional; I suppose Sonos will do this based on its resource allocation decisions to what it believes are different customer needs and their rankings in terms of importance to them. Does a thread like this affect that process?
@Kumar in my house TV have passwords- Content other than g rated is pin protected. This is of course optional , something I explicitly set up.

I think Sonos is the only connected device I own with out some kind of optional access control. So yes imo I see this as a problem for Sonos to solve.

I m guessing the posters offering parental advice are not millennials.
Digressing a little - I didn't get the millennial reference in the context of parental advice. How has parenting changed - which is presumably what you are referring to.
I m guessing the posters offering parental advice are not millennials.

I'm not, but my kids are... And they respect my toys, as I do theirs. I've never had a problem with them as far as Sonos goes.
I wouldn't call it haranguing, but as you wish. Perhaps I'll stop "haranguing" a corporation that has no problem seeing feedback on its forums and assessing it dispassionately when you stop haranguing individual users on a forum. You may be a "Rock Star" with almost 10,000 replies, but that is clearly no measure of your respectful treatment of those with different opinions from yours.

Name one way I have not been respectful.of you? Disagreement is not disrespect. And as soon as people start mentioning post count, I know the debate has turned into personal attacks, per usual. "Respect" is a two way street, sir.
Badge

Name one way I have not been respectful.of you? Disagreement is not disrespect. And as soon as people start mentioning post count, I know the debate has turned into personal attacks, per usual. "Respect" is a two way street, sir.

Let's see: most recently referring to legitimate raising of issues on a technical board as "haranguing". Previously referring to posters as "pissing and moaning" or "continued bleating" or having "parenting issues". Those are all insulting terms and really not necessary. Perhaps you don't see those as signs of disrespect, but I do.

And by the way, they are working on it. Guest mode for the Sonos and, if needed, direct control of Sonos without joining wifi.
If that is what you call disrespect, then you need to get a thicker skin.

And by the way, you are welcome for the suggestion on how to solve your problem. Next time maybe I and others will try to keep our outrageous post counts down by not bothering to help.
@juanb +1 when users call your posts haranguing pissing and moaning etc the debate has turned from the idea to personal attacks. Just a typical Monday here.
When a suggestion for resolution is offered for years in several flavors and they are ignored because of continuing feature demands, which continue to get more and more belligerent because the feature isn't delivered yesterday, then yes... that is the definition of haranguing. Not so much on juan's part, but there are numerous instances throughout this thread.
@juanb +1 when users call your posts haranguing pissing and moaning etc the debate has turned from the idea to personal attacks. Just a typical Monday here.

Yes, with the self-appointed forum devil's advocate making his usual sarcastic remarks against forum regulars, it is just another day here in the forum. Next you'll post about how awesome Squeezebox is, and the day will be complete, right? Get some new shtick, dude. :rolleyes
When a suggestion for resolution is offered for years in several flavors and they are ignored because of continuing feature demands, which continue to get more and more belligerent because the feature isn't delivered yesterday, then yes... that is the definition of haranguing. Not so much on juan's part, but there are numerous instances throughout this thread.

IMO effectively telling posters to learn how to parent is haranguing yes. Telling posters to stop whining, "pissing and moaning" and accept the half measure work around here is haranguing yes. Asking a corporation to implement a missing feature is not. Even if the CEO said five years ago that they wouldn't do it and even if it has been debated for years and even if they post about it 50 times and the idea is a terrible idea that you don't understand. JuanB is asking Sonos for a feature, not you.

Yes, with the self-appointed forum devil's advocate making his usual sarcastic remarks against forum regulars, it is just another day here in the forum. Next you'll post about how awesome Squeezebox is, and the day will be complete, right? Get some new shtick, dude. :rolleyes

Ooh forum regulars sorry you don't like my posts forum regulars. Resisting the urge to bring my self down to the your level in the gutter. Ignore feature needed.

IMO effectively telling posters to learn how to parent is haranguing yes. Telling posters to stop whining, "pissing and moaning" and accept the half measure work around here is haranguing yes. Asking a corporation to implement a missing feature is not. Even if the CEO said five years ago that they wouldn't do it and even if it has been debated for years and even if they post about it 50 times and the idea is a terrible idea that you don't understand. JuanB is asking Sonos for a feature, not you.

You should check before you quote someone. I specifically detailed what I feel is pissing and moaning, even going so far as to delineate between those simply asking for a feature and those who are (IMHO) "pissing and moaning". But don't let the facts get in the way of you (once again) making this thread all about your personal peeve over a few posters who have made you look the fool in the past. Shtickers gotta shtick.
OK I'm not going to take the troll bait. You have issues that's your problem. Instead of derailing this thread use the pm to send your personal attacks. Otherwise let's get back on topic about this missing feature.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm not sure I understand this feature request myself either.

Before Sonos, if I had a party any guest could change the CD, change the record, swap the cassette, re-tune the radio. Other than some tracks having some nasty language, I can;t see any content issues at the moment where I would want to protect my kids. It seems that the most disrespect mentioned on this thread is the people who think it is okay to abuse the stereo that they have access to.

Each to their own, lets all embrace the differences between people round the world etc!
OK I'm not going to take the troll bait. You have issues that's your problem. Instead of derailing this thread use the pm to send your personal attacks. Otherwise let's get back on topic about this missing feature.

Troll bait? Physician, heal thyself.

You are the one who continuously derails threads by making it about the posters and not the posts. Not once have I veered off-topic until I was attacked for my post count or my posting style (which, as we all know, is difficult to judge over the internet, and is more often a reflection on the reader, not the poster). So why don't YOU take it to PM the next time you have a personal problem with my posting style. Or better yet, if you feel I'm abusing anyone, report the post and let the mods do their job instead of you. That way, we can all ignore you and get back on topic? Deal?