new upgrade Era incompatible woth S1. i dont want 2 systems

• 26 December 2023
  • 12 replies

Just been helped by Sonos to upgrade to a new Era 300. Received today and tried to add to existing system which is all fairly old products (2x Connect Amps Nd 2x Play 1s). Existing system operates with S1 app but new Era set up says it only works with S2 app. Supposed solution is to have two systems and two apps. Ridiculous - Sonos knew what I had in my system as they helped with the upgrade.  Very disappointed. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Your Play 1s are S2 compatible  and your Connect:amps may as well. depending on when they were made.  You may be able to upgrade everything to S2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If your Connect:Amps are Gen 2, they are S2 compatible. The Play:1’s are also compatible. 

Edited to add: beaten at the keyboard by @melvimbe 

sadly the connect amps are older so are not S2 compatible. Also have a Bridge which is only S1. I just poor form that Sonos doesn't support those who bought products 11 years ago when upgrading their system.  BTW the only reason I was upgrading was because a Connect unit stopped working. Over-all feeling quite disgruntled with Sonos at the moment. 

sadly the connect amps are older so are not S2 compatible. Also have a Bridge which is only S1. I just poor form that Sonos doesn't support those who bought products 11 years ago when upgrading their system.  BTW the only reason I was upgrading was because a Connect unit stopped working. Over-all feeling quite disgruntled with Sonos at the moment. 

Sonos can't mix old devices with new anymore than you can use a 20 year old phone to view Facebook or Tik Tok videos.  It's actually a miracle Sonos kept them running as long as they have, long after any other electronics manufacturer or computer OS would have abandoned support.

Sorry I disagree - I have invested significantly more in my Sonos system than in a phone. It is supposed to be an “ecosystem”. To replace the 2x Connect Amps and the bridge would cost me nearly €2,000 which is just not right when the units are absolutely fine and working well despite their age. 

Sorry I disagree - I have invested significantly more in my Sonos system than in a phone. It is supposed to be an “ecosystem”. To replace the 2x Connect Amps and the bridge would cost me nearly €2,000 which is just not right when the units are absolutely fine and working well despite their age. 

Disagree all you wish, it doesn’t change the facts, and neither does the amount of money you spent (and by the way, modern phones all cost significantly more than any current Sonos device).  The old devices had a mere 32 MB of memory and storage.  The new devices have as much as 62 times that amount.  There is simply no way to load the modern software onto the tapped out resources of the old units, and without the modern software, the old units can no longer interact with the new units.  Which is why they can still work with any new units designed before the split.  Not what you wish to hear, but those are the unvarnished facts.

Sonos still supports the S1 system, they just do not make any new products designed to work in the old system.  You can buy older used products, or one of the few products Sonos still sells that will work in S1.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-s2-compatibility

Since you are replacing a Connect, Port seems like a good choice.

Please be aware that Sonos made the switch over to S2 because the older devices simply did not have the hardware necessary to keep up with the features consumers currently want from their wireless home audio.  As you pointed out, it’s an ecosystem, and some features can only be as good as the weakest link allows.

Clearly people on here have got sooo much money they can simasply upgrade relatively expensive audio products when they like. I simply want my system to play and stream my music and don't need the latest voice control or whatever gimmick has been included. Call me a dinosaur but that's what the appeal of sonos was. This whole process has ruined the enjoyment of buying a new component and, having returned it, now have no idea whether to upgrade now or not. 

Clearly people on here have got sooo much money they can simasply upgrade relatively expensive audio products when they like. I simply want my system to play and stream my music and don't need the latest voice control or whatever gimmick has been included. Call me a dinosaur but that's what the appeal of sonos was. This whole process has ruined the enjoyment of buying a new component and, having returned it, now have no idea whether to upgrade now or not. 

Whether we have the money to upgrade or not also has nothing to do with the facts which state why the S1/S2 split was unavoidable.  Also, if all you need is the original Sonos features, there are plenty of S1 compatible devices on the used market.  I suggest you invest in those. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos still supports stuff that was manufactured 15 years ago. Among manufacturers of connected devices this is exceptional. The only way they have been able to do this is theS1/S2 split. For comparison: I used own a couple Squeezebox devices, that 
Logitech has long ago turned turned its back on.

Anything connected will age faster than devices that are not. Do you still use the same computer you used eleven years ago? And indeed, phone? If you do not want this, you go the separates route and just replace the connected device.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Just buy a second hand Gen 1 Connect. Will be cheap as 

You came here saying you just received a $450 Era 300, loaded with the latest voice control and gimmicks.  I suggested you get a Port ($450) to replace your Connect or a used speaker.    How is that suggesting that you spend more money then you were already planning to?

I get your frustration that Sonos support didn’t understand you were on S1, or failed to inform you about the differences between S1, S2, and what devices are supported on each.  I don’t get why you are frustrated with the people volunteering their time to explain things a bit more and offer you some alternatives.