Skip to main content

In the new 2024 Sonos App :

Where are the alarms settings? 

Where is the Last.fm service?

Where is the Android widget?

This is a real nightmare. I hope Sonos will fix all that asap because what they did releasing this not finished app is scandalous.

Interesting. I wonder if that’s my apps sometimes still spin their wheels for a time, it’s pulling stuff from the internet.

Likely 

My Android app tends to not find the system. I use to restart but testing it now if I leave it long enough it finally loads everything. I was thinking it was just a bug but perhaps that won't ever be fixed then. My iPad up spins it's wheels a bit the first time and then settles down for subsequent starts.

Since the last update, I can resume by saying that everything is * up. The app constantly:

Does not see my systembat all

Does not see the Deezer service that I pay for

Totally unresponsive for selecting a song, it turn and turn…

Volume is not adjustable 

Please do something. The older version was just fine. I will never never buy a Sonos speaker. The speakers are fine but your software is a mess.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Sonos staff see my recent post: 

Sonso your new app is absolutely garbage. Embarrassing how it just stops playing in the middle of parties. Complete waste of time and money. I can see by the comments that you do nothing about it so I have posted on every a\v store site, big box and social media pages with warnings not to buy your products. I go so far as to tell people in the store not to buy them.  Fire your entire software development team and start over!!!

Sonso your new app is absolutely garbage. Embarrassing how it just stops playing in the middle of parties. Complete waste of time and money. I can see by the comments that you do nothing about it so I have posted on every a\v store site, big box and social media pages with warnings not to buy your products. I go so far as to tell people in the store not to buy them.  Fire your entire software development team and start over!!!

You say the App stops playing in the middle of parties, but that’s not the case. The App is not a player, it’s a remote control for your speakers. If the music stops playing it’s more likely a network connection issue between the source itself and the Sonos hardware. In a good many cases it’s a network issue - so you might need to explore that a little more. It will not be the App’s fault that the music stopped. In fact you could have closed the App and powered off the controller device and the music should still play.

So what you have posted in the various places online is factually incorrect. You might want to go back and make some amendments.

It’s time to look for another music system. Sonos is not usable since the new App. Was looking at the the new headphones but gid knows what glitches are on it. We use mainly Amazon music on our Sonos and nothing works. Volume changes? good look. Play an album? good luck! It’s not believable a company like Sonos does not react and moves back to the old app until most problems are solved. Causing too much stress for just wanting to listen to music. And our library we built up over the years in my Sonos - don’t ask, you’ll know the answer, too… 😭

You say the App stops playing in the middle of parties, but that’s not the case. The App is not a player, it’s a remote control for your speakers. If the music stops playing it’s more likely a network connection issue between the source itself and the Sonos hardware. In a good many cases it’s a network issue - so you might need to explore that a little more. It will not be the App’s fault that the music stopped. In fact you could have closed the App and powered off the controller device and the music should still play.

So what you have posted in the various places online is factually incorrect. You might want to go back and make some amendments.

well at that state of the new App, I’d be very carefully to suggest it is a network issue! We also experience e.g. starting a play list and songs are either not starting at all or skipping and many other issues in that direction! 

well at that state of the new App, I’d be very carefully to suggest it is a network issue! We also experience e.g. starting a play list and songs are either not starting at all or skipping and many other issues in that direction! 

to add, I just wanted to start an Album which took ages to get to and it took a while starting to play. The player shows a song and cover I even don’t know! This is absolutely disgusting! If Sonos makes a good decision for a while, they should revert back to the old apl until the new is sound. Even if reverting means some extra work but will keep users happy and not look for other multiroom solutions. The speakers are hardly usable for now and very disappointing and annoying!

Sorry, the start of playback that you refer to in your post is a completely different issue. If you read @Seamur88’s post they are referring to a playing Sonos product that stops playing. That has nothing to do with the Sonos App… as stated the App could be closed and the controller powered off. It’s irrelevant in the case where a speaker suddenly stops playing mid-song.

You say the App stops playing in the middle of parties, but that’s not the case. The App is not a player, it’s a remote control for your speakers. If the music stops playing it’s more likely a network connection issue between the source itself and the Sonos hardware.

Well, hypothetically, the app could spontaneously send stop signals to the player, because of some bug. Somewhat more likely, you pressed Stop nothing happened, you forgot about it, and then the app reacts many minutes later. One thing I have noticed is that the app does not react on taps. But if I press the Android circle to minimise it, and then activate the app again, the app has now moved to the screen I wanted.

But, yes, many of the playing issues that people report are likely to be network issues, which exhibits other flaws in the Sonos system, and people are more prone to notice these now and blame on the new app.

Sonos can say whatever they want about their decision but thousands of comments should signal to them there’s an issue. Never have we disliked this company till now. And if they think this app is great then I hope a reduction in sales happens because of it. Trying too hard to rebaseline something that didn’t need it and screw up controls in favor of pushing services. Garbage. 

They are destroying a brand we loved for so many years!

I’m software developer myself and can’t believe that this is happening to such a big brand. It’s not the decision of a single person to deploy such an garbage…

You say the App stops playing in the middle of parties, but that’s not the case. The App is not a player, it’s a remote control for your speakers. If the music stops playing it’s more likely a network connection issue between the source itself and the Sonos hardware.

Well, hypothetically, the app could spontaneously send stop signals to the player, because of some bug. Somewhat more likely, you pressed Stop nothing happened, you forgot about it, and then the app reacts many minutes later. One thing I have noticed is that the app does not react on taps. But if I press the Android circle to minimise it, and then activate the app again, the app has now moved to the screen I wanted.

But, yes, many of the playing issues that people report are likely to be network issues, which exhibits other flaws in the Sonos system, and people are more prone to notice these now and blame on the new app.

Well if someone did press stop on the controller and the music stolped, then the App is just doing its job. I’m just pointing out to @Seamur88 who is posting online blaming the App for the party music stopping, perhaps needs to go back and amend their post - it’s highly likely not the Apps fault  at all. At the very least there are ‘clearly’ other matters that maybe the root cause for the music stopping. The posts are probably factually incorrect.

Unlike the old app, the new one is sending these commands to the Sonos cloud   It’s not all on the local network anymore. It might be a local network issues but we’ve  already seen that the Sonos cloud is not very reliable. 

Unlike the old app, the new one is sending these commands to the Sonos cloud   It’s not all on the local network anymore. It might be a local network issues but we’ve  already seen that the Sonos cloud is not very reliable. 

That still likely has nothing to do with a speaker that stops playing its music, mid-party. The controller could be closed and the mobile device itself powered off. There are certainly a lot more things than the App, that might have caused the issue in @Seamur88’s case - and to go posting something online that blames the App, before exploring the various other possibilities, seems to me like he has jumped the gun. I’m just saying his posts online might need to be amended.

No, this is not the case. Start some music from your local library. Now test unplugging your network cable to the outside world, and then try to control your players. You will find that it works just fine. At least if the app is up and running. I have had different outcomes when I tried to start the app, with the network connection down.

Honteux,

utilisateur depuis 9 ans, je met à jour régulièrement le hard car j’adore vos produits, j’ai + de 10 enceintes Sonos.

l’application était un gros points forts, j’aimais moins depuis la bascule à S2 mais ça passait encore, mais là franchement c’est catastrophique.

vous me donner envie de vendre tout mon système et de passer à la concurrence.

j’hesite vraiment 

Moderator Edit: Google Translate-

Ashamed,

user for 9 years, I regularly update the hardware because I love your products, I have more than 10 Sonos speakers.

the application was a big strong point, I liked it less since the switch to S2 but it was still ok, but frankly it's catastrophic.

you make me want to sell my entire system and move on to the competition.

I'm really hesitant

No, this is not the case. Start some music from your local library. Now test unplugging your network cable to the outside world, and then try to control your players. You will find that it works just fine. At least if the app is up and running. I have had different outcomes when I tried to start the app, with the network connection down.

Yes, I’ve tested this and it works for my setup too. I have a separate router and modem and simply powered off the modem and my local library happily plays to my Sonos products aswell.👍

What is the behaviour if the App is fully/force closed and then opened with no Internet access?

What is the behaviour if the App is fully/force closed and then opened with no Internet access?

A user can either wait for the services to time out as ‘unable to connect’  (although it’s not necessary to wait) … Just goto the "music library’ under the ‘Your Sources’ section on the Home Screen and the library shows and can be navigated for albums/tracks/playlists to be played in the chosen speaker/group. It just needs the local WiFi/LAN connection to be maintained (obviously). The library index is clearly stored on the associated product. I’m just wondering if that may change when the new library search is introduced - probably not, but we’ll have to wait and see.

New app is total garbage. Mobile app cannot find my system. Waste of hours trying to find a solution.

New app is total garbage. Mobile app cannot find my system. Waste of hours trying to find a solution.

Could it perhaps be a local network issue, or even something on your mobile controller device blocking the mDNS device discovery, only the new App is certainly working here and finding all my Sonos players. See attached.

The first comment is likely correct, that app is absolute cr4p. I have multiple systems at different homes and have to constantly get the app to connect to a new system when I switch between them. The app is a total disaster and there’s zero sign of Sonos giving two sh1ts that it is, so long as they can flog some headphones that basically replicate what others have already done. When I get around to it I’ll bin the kit and go somewhere else.

The first comment is likely correct, that app is absolute cr4p. I have multiple systems at different homes and have to constantly get the app to connect to a new system when I switch between them. The app is a total disaster and there’s zero sign of Sonos giving two sh1ts that it is, so long as they can flog some headphones that basically replicate what others have already done. When I get around to it I’ll bin the kit and go somewhere else.

I would not be too hasty to judge the Sonos Ace headphones if you haven’t heard them. Their noise cancelling is excellent and with a DAC they sound great when playing 24/192 quality audio - also the Bluetooth 5.4 Qualcast snapdragon chip is capable of Apt-X lossless audio. The features I tend to shout about though, are the spatial surround head-tracking TV audio using the Arc SoundSwap feature - it’s a no-brainier to get the Headphones if you already own that soundbar. Sonos plan to release that feature aswell for use with other Sonos soundbar models (Beam 2 etc.).

I am utterly baffled by how frustrating using the new Sonos app is. I mean should you not wait until beta testing is finished and all looks good before putting something in production. This is not going to have a positive effect on your share price, to say the least.

We already went through a huge de-bugging phase when we first bought our Sonos products, and for some issues, it took a long time and was painful. Now we have to go through it all again.

Why did you not at least warn us in advance, were you guys even aware of the state of the new controller before you inflicted it on us???

The new controller takes a long time to load on my older cell phones, does this mean that I’ll have to buy a new expensive cell phone just for Sonos. You guys really need to think about making this software more efficient.

Common sense is, alas, not common at all anymore.

You guys really need to smarten up big time. I know that you’re sitting on a whole bunch of patents that most of you working at Sonos now did not create, but this level of ineptitude will not be rewarded forever by the world. Heed my words: No company is immune from disappearing into the abyss of time, something I would not like to see happen to Sonos.

So guys, come on, be reasonable, put yourselves into our frustrated shoes. The old saying was: “The customer is always right”.

It always felt like the right decision to buy your speakers and to get on board with Sonos. It always felt like I was dealing with a superior product. Please make sure, make the hell sure, that that remains true…..

Frustrated but still a loyal customer,

Moderator edit: removed identifying information

Then 

If music is already playing and I don’t kill the app it will continue and eventually the controls will work. But the library link may not be displayed so you can’t change what’s playing.