Question

New Sonos App - ALL My Album Artwork Is Gone

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’ve generally been very complimentary of Sonos and the Eco System.   Have been responsible for dozen of sales to people who have see the system operating in my home  But I gotta ask:
“Am I the only one who thinks the new app absolutely sucks”  There’s nothhing intuitive about it.  All my album artwork has disappeared, none of my custom radio URLs work - I could go on an on but this is no upgrade.  

Could someone please advise:

1. how to restore all my album artwork (which is still fine on the desktop controller)
  2. how to remove all my tune in radio stations (which are all now greyed out) so I can try to re-establish them.    They all still work on the desktop controller.

From where I sit, this new app sucks.   If I bought the system like this I would have returned it.

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I couldn’t agree more. I mostly use my Sonos system to listen to my own music on my local server. All album art is missing. I also can’t find alarm settings!

I agree! No album art. Where is it?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Sonos Any Info or update you can provide?

Userlevel 1

I’ll be extremely disappointed if the only fix for missing album art is to re-add. I can't test because I can’t find the sync settings for local library. If software like Plex can build in the capability to match art work to albums Sonos could. Question is, do they want to?

And it is disappointing that no one from Sonos has bothered to answer this thread. Bad PR given all the noise over dumb release of latest app.

Is sonos even trying to fix any of this or are we just being completely ignored?

After figuring out how to get my music library on my windows 11 pc accessible by sonos on my album art is still unavailable in the new sonos app but it does show on my pc when I use the installed pc app as opposed to the new web based app.

I can search my music library too now.

So things are better but after this debacle and reading all that doo doo about being courageous to release the app, I think the marketing manager that pushed for the release of this app prematurely should be replaced!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

After figuring out how to get my music library on my windows 11 pc accessible by sonos on my album art is still unavailable in the new sonos app but it does show on my pc when I use the installed pc app as opposed to the new web based app.

I can search my music library too now.

So things are better but after this debacle and reading all that doo doo about being courageous to release the app, I think the marketing manager that pushed for the release of this app prematurely should be replaced!

Hi @dale_ander, are you using the new iOS app or the new Android app? For me the iOS app displays local library album art okay, but the Android app does a poor job. And the new web app does not display any local library album art (it does display streaming album art).

I'm using the android app.  No album art appears.  It used to, before the "upgrade", but not anymore. So disappointing.

I've been in the software business for over 40 years and understand the pressure to release software on schedule, but when it's done before it's ready, just to meet a date, it's always WRONG! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I'm using the android app.  No album art appears.  It used to, before the "upgrade", but not anymore. So disappointing.

I've been in the software business for over 40 years and understand the pressure to release software on schedule, but when it's done before it's ready, just to meet a date, it's always WRONG! 

The new Android app has far more issues than the new iOS app and that is saying something.

Have you considered re-installing the v16.1 Android app? The process is straightforward:

• Delete the new app (this step is required)
  • Go to APKMirror ... search for “Sonos S2” … download v16.1 … install the ‘old’ app
  • Turn off automatic updates in Google Play

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not know how to revert to the previous version of the app before. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not know how to revert to the previous version of the app before. 

Go for it, Dale.  @press250 ‘s instructions are spot on - I have several copies of the downloaded .apk stashed away and have used it safely a number of times.  The only thing I would add is that you should also disable the “Update Automatically” option to stop Sonos pushing firmware updates to your players, which can’t be rolled back as far as I know and could do things you don’t want.  

In the Black App go to System Settings--->Manage--->System Updates and you’ll see the toggle.

In V16 go to Manage--->System--->System Upgrades to see it.

All the best.

The new Android app has far more issues than the new iOS app and that is saying something.

Have you considered re-installing the v16.1 Android app? The process is straightforward:

• Delete the new app (this step is required)
  • Go to APKMirror ... search for “Sonos S2” … download v16.1 … install the ‘old’ app
  • Turn off automatic updates in Google Play

unfortunately this doesn’t work for me. in 16.1 the toggle for media server accessibility is greyed out…

so no use of local libraryies :-(

SONOS does not modify the local library files, existing artwork is intact. Certain versions of the SONOS controller are not displaying artwork. When SONOS works out the issue(s), artwork will reappear. In my opinion there is no point in users wasting time attempting to discover a magic bullet to modify their library. 

Userlevel 1

I did find a work-around for the new updates problem with missing album artwork.   I just use Google “Search a Song” which brings up the album artwork and identifies the music track that’s playing….

Userlevel 3
Badge

SONOS does not modify the local library files, existing artwork is intact. Certain versions of the SONOS controller are not displaying artwork. When SONOS works out the issue(s), artwork will reappear. In my opinion there is no point in users wasting time attempting to discover a magic bullet to modify their library. 

Agreed, but its been missing from the get go on the new app even though its still there on the PC app (funny, it just disappeared on me for while there too) -- it would be nice if we could get some planned schedule of fixes to these obvious problems - I get it they will probably slip, but at least we’d have some idea that the problem is acknowledged and where it sits on the fix schedule - this is just basic product support stuff