Skip to main content
The app on Android is much harder to use. Voice control is nice, but the design is not intuitive. This is just my opinion and I'm giving it time but it is just not easy to use.
I find the updated app more difficult to select my playlist for a room than it used to be.
One tip that may help a bit. Don't use the rooms dropdown on the Now Playing screen for anything. Instead, from the Now Playing screen, swipe down the screen and tap the Rooms button. Then use the the Rooms screen for anything to do with grouping, ungrouping and selecting rooms. For example, to switch control to a particular room, tap it once in the Rooms screen to highlight it, again to return to the Now Playing screen with control of that room.

Or, having highlighted the room in which you want to play music, touch Browse, Search or My Sonos to make your choice of music to play in that room.

It's a bit unfamiliar at first, but it didn't take me too long to feel comfortable with it. I know there are those who fiercely disagree with that statement, but I can only say as I find.
Underlying all of this discussion (and that when the queue functionality changed) is the fact that the software in our Sonos bits and pieces probably does not belong to us. It's most likely licensed to us for as long as we agree to use our Sonos iaw the Ts&Cs - is that so? There was a recent Economist editorial on this very matter which highlighted the implications of others having ultimate control over our stuff.

Having held back from updating my Sonos (or is it partially their Sonos?), I'd quite like to keep my system just as it is: it's brilliant (especially ZP80 through Chord Mojo / Quad to my big KEFs). I have no need of voice control - just as I have no need to 'share this song'. I suspect that t I'll be forced to update when a spare ZP80 gets pulled back into service when we go away for the Yule. What would be good would be to able to decide to keep a particular software drop and allow devices behind that drop to catch up, not insist on everything being pulled up to the latest (good or bad). I realise this could present Sonos with perceived configuration control issues but it would be good for the user to be given the choice to keep everything 'as is' if there are no changes (like the purchase of a new item such as a Sonos One). Otherwise, over time, we no longer have what we originally bought whether we like it or not. And I just don't think that's cricket...
All software is licensed. Nobody owns any software unless its given away as freeware or is opensource. Sonos is neither.

I agree entirely with your latter comments.

I've been harping on about the forced drop of devices. I was once advised by Sonos to buy iPod Touches (remember them) to use because I didn't want to have to pass my phone or ipad around at parties, for friends and family to select music. Wanting the CR100 to remain in production . But alas they went and I bought a Touch and ..... yep.. they went ..

As it happens, MY original CR100 controllers are still running from 2005. They lose a few features with every update that comes out and its definitely a stealth retirement going on and Sonos will no longer replace the batteries, as they used to.

So we are stuck with apps.

My base contention has long been, how can you produce a series of devices and expensive components that are completely useless unless you by someone elses tablet/phone/PC/device is also bought and you sign up to their terms (nothing to do with Sonos) to download an App (Sonos terms) to control what you've bought.

I invested in Sonos LONG before "Apps" and you DID NOT need anyone elses devices.

But we're the forgotten users. Those who put them up there but now its all about 'services' rather than both old and new users. Rant over 🙂 Ranted this many times before 🙂 Ho hum....