Skip to main content
my Sonos app wont run on the mac - message software is outdated
Then try finding another device to manage your Sonos. Tablets and phones are good replacements, especially as Sonos is reducing the functionality of the desktop software.

I'm assuming, although you didn't say so, that you can't update your Mac's software. You have tried that first, correct?
I think it is very unfair that Mac users are being asked to do a full OS update.

I run Yosemite on my desktop, and I am deliberately slow to update OS' until such times as they have been tested, bug-fixed etc.

Why won't SONOS allow us, the users, to use our systems as we wish.

I am VERY annoyed that my whole SONOS system now will not work until I am pushed towards a full system update.

This is unfair on us, the consumers.

P
I run Yosemite on my desktop, and I am deliberately slow to update OS' until such times as they have been tested, bug-fixed etc.

Right, but you're four full annual releases of OS X / macOS behind the current one. Apple stopped updating Yosemite nearly two years ago, so it's missing plenty of security and defect fixes.
I think it is very unfair that Mac users are being asked to do a full OS update.

Why won't SONOS allow us, the users, to use our systems as we wish.

I am VERY annoyed that my whole SONOS system now will not work until I am pushed towards a full system update.

This is unfair on us, the consumers.

P

Your frustration is at the wrong people. Be upset with Apple for not allowing your computer to update the OS.
The Sonos app still runs on Windows 7, an OS first released almost ten years ago, and about to fall out of support. Apple have a very different attitude to support lifetimes than Microsoft, as they are a hardware company and they want you to buy new hardware, regularly.

I run Yosemite on my desktop, and I am deliberately slow to update OS' until such times as they have been tested, bug-fixed etc.Right, but you're four full annual releases of OS X / macOS behind the current one. Apple stopped updating Yosemite nearly two years ago, so it's missing plenty of security and defect fixes.

I'm responding to this because somehow being vigilant about your systems and security practices is being seen as inferior to upgrading. The fact is that a properly configured system is plenty secure. So there is no need for Sonos to stop supporting older versions of their controllers.

In fact going through this forum, it's amazing how many have stopped thinking for themselves and blindly parrot corporate excuses. Unfortunately, that seems to be the state of the world we are in.

To get back to the original topic, sometimes an OS upgrade is impossible because there are other critical applications that depend on a particular version. And as a consumer my expectation is that once I get something working, any upgrade that is forced on me should keep that thing working. Sonos has been one of the few companies that has consistently and repeatedly broken that faith.
In fact going through this forum, it's amazing how many have stopped thinking for themselves and blindly parrot corporate excuses. Unfortunately, that seems to be the state of the world we are in.

Hopefully, you're not accusing me of that, because you would be very wide of the mark.

To get back to the original topic, sometimes an OS upgrade is impossible because there are other critical applications that depend on a particular version. And as a consumer my expectation is that once I get something working, any upgrade that is forced on me should keep that thing working. Sonos has been one of the few companies that has consistently and repeatedly broken that faith.

I think that's a fair criticism, within limits. Sonos has an unusually rigid 'lock-step' software evolution strategy, which is not the way I'd do things.