Skip to main content

Does anybody know how exactly the Sonos Music Library update process works ?

I get intermittent update failures when initiating the update from my PC Sonos Controller app, but the proverbial “//nas/music_share folder is no longer available” message will always appear within the first few seconds of the update. If it gets beyond this then the update proceeds for sometimes hours, but will work.

I just wonder what exactly is happening in those first few seconds that causes the error and then when you get past this point what is then happening.

My understanding from Sonos is that once the update is underway all communication is between the Sonos speakers and the NAS drive (in my case) and the index is then replicated around each of the speakers or Amps. Apart from initiating the update, the Controller (PC) plays no part.

It seems there’s some initiation process right at the start that frequently fails, throws the error message to the Controller and doesn’t move on to the main update.

Out of interest when I was persistently getting the error yesterday, I disabled my usual ethernet port on the PC and enabled the WiFi port and the update then worked first time. However, after repeating a couple of times later, this too failed. When I then switched back to the ethernet port (disabled wifi), this then worked first time.

I don’t have clarity on how exactly the update works, the different steps etc and so can’t really explain why switching ports would cause it to succeed for a time at least.

I don’t think it’s pure coincidence because I get the error on multiple attempts on one port before switching and working first time!

If anyone has any insights to the inner workings of the Music Library index update I’d be interested and might then be able to explain the sporadic errors.

In the mean time I’m looking for clues in the NAS server SMB logs etc.

Your understanding of the library indexing process is correct. In my own case any attempt to use the drive will initially fail if the drive is currently sleeping. The SONOS timeout is too shot for my drive — which is pokey starting up.