Skip to main content
Answered

Music Library Compilations Issue Under 16.3.

Today I successfully updated to the latest 16.3 Firmware and Windows Desktop Controller.
I subsequently performed an “Update Music Library Now” from the 16.3 Windows Desktop Controller.
Now any Sonos Controller (including SonoPhone, SonoPad) show multiple entries for each compilation album when viewing Albums.
Just an example shown below...

Does anyone else have this issue?
Ross.

116 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m just using the data in the app - here shows as release 20240717.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I’m just using the data in the app - here shows as release 20240717.

Ah okay. It was meant to go live on Thurs 18th, hence the old release name, but was in fact held back until Monday 22nd.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Honestly Rhonny - I appreciate your detail, but honestly don’t care
all I care is that Sonos hasn’t worked since the 16.3 broke it - which for me was last week on July 18 when I open my windows desktop app and updated.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

jreddaway:

For IOS I’ve used 8player Pro, fidata, mconnect & Music Life.  For Droid I’ve used Bubble UPnP.  Gapless may not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Honestly Rhonny - I appreciate your detail, but honestly don’t care

I’m not sending you any more Christmas cards, Scoott. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Absolutely have the same issue. And not only that, but each instance of the album is empty - the song(s) on the album do not show anywhere.

And they are absolutely found in the Apple Music library that is linked.

Userlevel 1

Haha, this nonsense is so bad, at this point all you can do is laugh.

Thankfully I had never updated the Windows Desktop app as it was the only thing I could use to set alarms after the May fiasco. I come back from holiday, and now my library is completely messed up - and I didn’t even update anything! Not only are the compilation albums showing as a list of tracks, when I try and play the track I want, it plays a completely different track! If you were trying to create the worst app in the world, you wouldn’t be able to make it this bad.

On my iPhone, with the latest update, my Music Library now appears more reliably than before. That’s it. The alphabet to the right hand side STILL isn’t there, so I can’t jump to an album, every track I’ve tried to play so far doesn’t work, and the alarm feature is STILL nerfed (I can’t edit any alarms in the app, if I try and save a change, nothing happens).

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

jreddaway:

For IOS I’ve used 8player Pro, fidata, mconnect & Music Life.  For Droid I’ve used Bubble UPnP.  Gapless may not work.

Thank you, @MoPac   

I have had a quick try with BubbleUPnP and was most impressed with the way it found and connected with not only my NAS library but also all of my Sonos speakers, making all the info on each of them instantly accessible. 

It would be interesting, using this, to compare how the latest and previous firmware versions structure the various data tables they create and use. I am not, however, prepared to install the firmware update to check it out!

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Another broken thing. It’s exhausting keeping up with this nonsense. I hate Sonos.

Userlevel 1

I am also unable to play my Music Library stored on an external hard drive. It started roughly a week ago. At least that’s when I noticed it. As with the original post here and the screencap, I see multiple entries for the same album under Albums, but when I try to play any of my established (iTunes) playlists, which normally work fine, it spins for about 30 seconds, then says “Unable to browse music.”

This occurs on my PC, my MacBook Air, and my iPhone. All three are running the current apps and the operating systems are all current. I re-indexed my Music Library, and I rebooted my router.

Nothing works. The problem still persists. I get “Unable to browse music” and can’t play any playlist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I am also unable to play my Music Library stored on an external hard drive. It started roughly a week ago. At least that’s when I noticed it. As with the original post here and the screencap, I see multiple entries for the same album under Albums, but when I try to play any of my established (iTunes) playlists, which normally work fine, it spins for about 30 seconds, then says “Unable to browse music.”

This occurs on my PC, my MacBook Air, and my iPhone. All three are running the current apps and the operating systems are all current. I re-indexed my Music Library, and I rebooted my router.

Nothing works. The problem still persists. I get “Unable to browse music” and can’t play any playlist.

There was a system update a week ago that impacted some people’s systems. But the app update on Monday had elements intended to help with that and music library access in general - just checking: have you updated the app?

Edit: just saw the line about you running the current apps...

Userlevel 1

There was a system update a week ago that impacted some people’s systems. But the app update on Monday had elements intended to help with that and music library access in general - just checking: have you updated the app?

Edit: just saw the line about you running the current apps...

Yes, thanks for the feedback, Rhonny, and I can confirm that I am running the most current version of the Sonos app on both computers and my phone.

Userlevel 1

Just to clarify my initial comment, I do see my current/updated “Imported Playlists” under “Music Library,” but attempting to play any of the playlists gives me the spinning (about 30 seconds of it), then the message “Unable to browse music.”

Userlevel 2
Badge

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/25/24206203/sonos-ceo-apology-redesigned-app-controversy

so, it seems the chaos we are all discussing here, is the fix to May
hahaha

Userlevel 1

This guy just won’t quit with the mealy-mouthed, dishonest updates.

It is by now well established that the app update was so they could meet their deadline for selling the new headphones, and had nothing to do with improved performance, which is what is claimed in the letter.

The employees aren’t pained at our frustration, they’re pained because they got dropped in it by the CEO and engineering colleagues, who engineered one of the greatest foul-ups in product development history. This will be being taught in business school for decades, as a case study in how not to do things.

How this guy has not yet resigned is beyond me - it clearly needs someone else in charge to rebuild brand loyalty.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue here. Multiple classical and box sets showing several times in the library. Just another frustration... From what I can tell they all play the same and are all listed out of order. Does each instance count towards the maximum amount of files???

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

The big problem I’m seeing is with “X feat Y” guest artists on tracks. I did a quick experiment with flipping the Music Library->Group Albums Using setting, from “Album Artists” (which has worked for 15 years) to “iTunes”. My tags usually read artist=“Artist; Guest”, album artist=”Artist”.

When I tried the iTunes setting, tracks with “Artist; Guest” disappear from the library. With the “Album Artist” grouping, you get either multiple copies of the album or a random tracklist order.

Weirdly, the desktop and mobile behaviour is different. Here’s an example - the last Ozzy Osbourne album, which is loaded with guest stars. Inspecting the tags in foobar shows the “Artist; Guest” tags look like this: 

With Album-Artist grouping, the latest Sonos desktop app (and 3rd party SonoPad app) finds all the tracks, just not in the right order

And the iOS app thinks the 13-track album only consists of the three songs with no guest artist!

So it might be a new bug with the player firmware, there are possible bugs with the desktop app, but there’s definitely a bug with the nowhere-near-shippable new mobile app.

I can’t see any pattern for why some albums like this also list multiple copies with the same broken unordered tracklist.

There is drastic workaround, which is to edit tags, and put the featured artist in the track title instead of the artist tag. Which I may have to do.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The tags are fine, however. If I open the same library in music bee, everything looks good and is the way it should be. So obviously it is reading something wrong. I have no idea at all how it works, just thinking out loud. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Update: tried Group Albums Using “do not group”, same as the “iTunes” setting.

I did a quick search to see if the problem is my tags all along. Looks like there might not be a recommended way to separate multiple artists using ID3 tags, and “;” can confuse some players/apps. I think the track ordering bug is due to Sonos now taking only the last artist tag value (the “guest artist”) and ordering tracks alphabetically by this artist (ie. the final “guest” artist listed) then by track number. This also accounts for the multiple copies of the album showing up (one per guest/no-guest artist combination). So maybe the “bug” is actually that Sonos has switched overnight from “accepts many different tagging formats” to “only works with specific tagging format(s)”. With “;” as my dbPoweramp-supplied separator, desktop app now treats the tag as different artists for the same album (but not multiple artists per track), mobile app can’t handle multiple artists in the same tag.

Have multiple album entries for compilation albums, AND no tracks in those albums. Do the Sonos apps recognize the difference between track artist and album artist - like iTunes does?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Alan_6 

We are aware of this issue and are investigating - I recommend that you do not adjust tags on your files just to address this issue.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Still broken over a week later 😭

A.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

A.

It would be. App updates are being rolled out fortnightly, so I wouldn't expect the next update until next Monday. And even then there is no guarantee this issue will be covered by this update as it was only reported/acknowledged relatively, but it will be somewhere on the list and will be in a future update...

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

A.

It would be. App updates are being rolled out fortnightly, so I wouldn't expect the next update until next Monday. And even then there is no guarantee this issue will be covered by this update as it was only reported/acknowledged relatively, but it will be somewhere on the list and will be in a future update...

Will be interesting to see if it is a firmware update or an app update that fixes it. They are different teams who develop and can release independently and firmware broke it.

Digging bit deeper and looking at tags on my files, it could be the firmware update stopped presenting the ‘compilation’ tag in the catalogue server on the devices, so the app no longer correctly groups album artist tags under the same album.

I have Jeff Wayne’s war of the worlds tagged as a compilation due to multiple artists on it, with Jeff Wayne as the Album artist and the artist on multiple tracks with the actual track artists. Disabling the ‘Group Compilations by’ in 16.1 app/firmware so there is no grouping recreates the behaviour even though the compilation tag exists.

It is a while ago but when I moved from SlimServer to Sonos way back when, I had to change some of my tagging to make it Sonos friendly with various artists albums. The range of tags available back then in the standards were far fewer than current versions and it wasn’t uncommon to find different behaviour between systems.