Mac OS Controller still has major memory leak

• 24 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

The Sonos controller for Mac OS has a major memory leak. I first reported this to Sonos several years ago. Sent them all the data, etc. Others have done the same. This is not something new and not something they’re unaware of. Here’s an old closed thread on the topic.

Meanwhile, here we are, years later, and it still leaks huge amounts of memory. When first loaded, it uses a bit less than 150MB. After running for a long period of time, I’ve seen the memory footprint as high as more than 9GB!  That’s absurd. 

Why doesn’t Sonos address this? Probably because the average consumer doesn’t know (or care) what a memory leak is, as long as it doesn’t crash their machine. They don’t realize that the ever-increasing memory footprint gradually slows their machine down with more and more swapping. 

C’mon, Sonos. Fix this.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I think it’s just always going to be this way. I updated to 15.3 a few days ago (manually, since Sonos’ crack team of developers hasn’t figured out how to do updates on MacOS Ventura yet) and it’s already up to 2.9 GiB of memory utilization. Should be up past 10 GiB in another week or so. 

Badge +1

I started the Sonos app, and initially, the memory footprint was 73.5 MB.

One day later, it had climbed to 459.7 MB.

By the third day, it was already up to 1.57 GB.

After a week, it was up to 2.35 GB.

If I let it keep running, it’ll just keep climbing. I’ve seen it as high as over 8 GB.

The developers should be ashamed of themselves.

On startup
One week later...

Sonos hasn’t done any development on their desktop apps in years. All their focus is on the mobile apps. Not sure what you’re expecting here. 

Badge +1

Sonos hasn’t done any development on their desktop apps in years. All their focus is on the mobile apps. Not sure what you’re expecting here. 

They somehow keep releasing updates. So they’re doing something.