Question

iPhone can no longer control Spotify volume

• 17 May 2024
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I’ve read a lot of threads about the Sonos app not being able to control Spotify volume.  This issue is different.

My iPhone volume controls can no longer control Spotify volume through Spotify. 

• It doesn’t work using the physical volume keys. 
  • It doesn’t work using digital controls in AirPlay.
  • It does work if I dive deep into Spotify controls and change in Spotify digital controls

Any way to enable Sonos volume control when using AirPlay and Spotify app?  Ideally using physical keys but at a minimum using a more accessible volume controller somewhere else.

I have latest iOS, latest Sonos app, and latest Sonos firmware update.

9 replies

Having the same issue. 

connecting to sonos via airplay/connect in the Spotify app the volume doesn’t change from the physical iPhone buttons. Used to work fine until yesterday. Have to use the sonos app to adjust volume

same here with my iPhone 15 pro. Restarting my phone temporarily fixes the issue but I’ve resorted to using airplay instead of the direct to Sonos connection.

I also have this issue. Only way to control the volume now is by opening the Sonos app or by using the physical volume buttons on the Sonos device. 

Userlevel 2

Same issue here. It used to work fine, but after I recently transferred to a new phone, it stopped working. Possibly because I got a new version of Spotify?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This topic has been frustrating for me because even Sonos support says it now cannot be solved. 

But they are wrong and here’s the way to make it work. Explicitly select Air Play before selecting the speaker. The the physical volume controls on iPhone and iPad work. 

Step 1:  Select Air Play

Step 2:  Now select speaker

Now enjoy controlling Sonos speakers with the physical iPhone and iPad buttons. 

@Ready AF Thank you! It’s still super irritating that this doesn’t work directly anymore and only through AirPlay, but this workaround is great!

@Ready AF Thanks for this solution, but the sound quality isn't the same, no?

And another strange thing... I can control the sound from my iPad! The Sonos app is not up to date. Is it related?

Same here. Missing this feature. 

This topic has been frustrating for me because even Sonos support says it now cannot be solved. 

But they are wrong and here’s the way to make it work. Explicitly select Air Play before selecting the speaker. The the physical volume controls on iPhone and iPad work. 

Step 1:  Select Air Play

Step 2:  Now select speaker

Now enjoy controlling Sonos speakers with the physical iPhone and iPad buttons. 

This unfortunately doesn’t work for me, my Connect and Connect:Amp speakers are not visible after selecting AirPlay. 

Why would anyone break the most important function of a sound system, to control the volume.  Is beyond belief.  Sonos, Spotify and iOS no doubt all blame each other!!!