Skip to main content
Question

how do I delete old Sonos Playlists in the new trainwreck app?

How do I delete old Sonos Playlists? They show and when using the edit option the delete icon is disabled. And when viewing the playlist itself there also is no option to delete.

is this yet another broken not working issue of the new app or is it a usability issue that the new app is not made for actual human interaction without having psychic powers and I just cannot find it? And if so can someone who has either psychic powers or who developed it and forgot to tel us users not involved in writing our the flow diagrams where which feature is hidden to help? ;)

Guessing nobody knows?

Moderator edit: combined posts

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Asgorath 

Thanks for your post! And, apologies for the delay.

Sorry to hear of the issue you’re having trying to delete Sonos playlists. It sounds like you are in the right place - Favourites » View All » Playlists » View All » Edit.

I looked at my own playlists and handily had a couple of test playlists that I could try deleting, and I could do so without issue. I saw only one playlist that had the delete button greyed-out - it was an imported playlist from my Music Library (a .m3u file). Despite the delete button being greyed-out, I was still able to tap on delete, and it was removed from this section (the file would not have been deleted).

In short, I could not replicate the issue you describe. Please ensure your Sonos app is fully updated by going to the App Store or Play Store to check. It may also help to force-close the Sonos app, and reopen it:

iOS: Double-click the Home button to show your most recently used apps. Swipe right or left to find the app that you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close the app.

Android: Tap Apps button to left of Home button on device, swipe app up and off screen to close.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app may also help.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Sadly it’s always up to date. Thats not the issue..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Asgorath 

Sorry to hear that was not the answer.

Is there any pattern you can discern? Perhaps the playlists point to tracks on services that you no longer have on your Sonos system? Do they pre-date the new app? If you create a new playlist now, are you able to delete it?

Are you able to delete the playlists from the Web App at https://play.sonos.com?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Yea it’s all the old playlists and specifically Sonos ones. New ones from a saved say Spotify list all work. So guessing the APP is just bugging with its launch being a trainwrek. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Asgorath 

Well, I was able to remove playlists that pre-dated the new Sonos app, so I don’t know why you see different results, but that is at least something to go on - thanks!

Just to confirm, are you able to remove the playlists that pre-date the new app from the Web App?

Finally, could you please submit a support diagnostic after trying to delete playlists, and let me know here when you have done so? Please don’t share the given number here, however - I will find the report without. Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

You have sonos playlists displayed in the new app? I sure don’t. They do display in the web (desktop) app on safari/iOS, but seem to be disabled.

Oddly enough, my playlists did appear in the ‘new’ S2 about a week ago. An hour later, they were gone again. CorryP could not explain. Nor can anyone.

If you’ve ever seen the old Twilight Zone episode where William Shatner as passenger kept looking out the window and seeing gremlins out on the wing of the plane — which hid out of sight whenever he implored others to look — that’s the new Sonos music experience.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

This is what appears when I click to view sonos favorites (after the screen goes from ‘not connected’ to ‘products not found’ to wobbling blank icons’ to the home page) No sonos playlists, unless they’re off in another dimension. And yes, everything is updated. No, there’s nothing wrong with my home network.

You have sonos playlists displayed in the new app? I sure don’t. They do display in the web (desktop) app on safari/iOS, but seem to be disabled.

Download Phonos plus, free  

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/phonos-plus/id1511326524

Open the app, tap three dots in top left, then playlists, tap the playlist you want to play, then tap the speaker you want to hear it on. Listen to your playlist. Works well for me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Bumper: I’ll give that a try. Sure would be nice to get my music back. But query… if there’s already an app that does what the Sonos app did before they dropped it in a blender, why the heck can’t Sonos fix it? What’s with that?

Minutes later: Sure enough… there is a list of all of my playlists. It’s not a pretty user interface, but don’t sweat the small stuff! I’ve not tried to play music from them yet, but a free app can do what Sonos has failed (or refused) to do for months? What’s up with that?

My displeasure with Sonos management grows by leaps and bounds. I cannot conjure up a rational explanation for Sonos’ failure to restore basic music playback functions for months while users have been imploring management and staff to do so.

So I can use the 99 cent app to pull up a list of all of my saved Sonos playlists. The 3rd party app doesn’t seem to allow me to connect and disconnect rooms, control EQ and volume or list contents of a playlist; but I just go to the Sonos app and do that. 

Thank you a million times over Bumper! And you, Sonos: SHAME ON YOU! 

Glad it’s working for you. Sonos will probably fix this issue eventually.