Skip to main content

With S2 coming and the updated groups feature, will you be able to easily have a speaker not only just be in multiple groups, but also move rooms with ease?

Here is an example scenario to make sense of the question. You have a Sub and it’s paired with playbar for a TV set up. In the same room you have two Play Ones set up for stereo music. Could you have the Sub easily join with the two Play Ones for a better experience with the stereo sound when the TV playbar is not in use. This way you can utilize the benefits of the sub in both the stereo set up as well as the TV set up without cluttering the small space with a second sub. 

This comes into play in many open spaces like condos where kitchens and living spaces are side by side. We don’t want to use the playbar for music as the stereo sound and separation is better with Ones or play 5’s but the One’s lack the bass. Since they are in close proximity to the TV set up it would be ideal to have a preset where the sub could join the other room. But not have to go through the entire room set up of moving the Sub back and forth within the Sonos app.

The ‘room groups’ feature has been widely trailed in the media, but i couldn’t find any mention of it in Sonos announcements when i looked a few days ago.  We’ll all find out more details if/when it happens.

That’s exactly what I’d like to know. I have a Sub paired with my Play 5s for audio and a Beam for my TV in the same room. It’d be great to an Audio group of Play 5 x 2 + Sub and a TV group of Beam + Sub, that I could switched between. Anyone find anything on this? 

In addition to what @John B already said, please also consider that grouping and bonding are two different things. Stereo pairs, Subs and 5.1 setups are bonded, which is a semi-permanent construct that works different to grouping technically. None of the articles in the media that mentioned the new grouping method ever touched on bonded units, and at least to me it is less likely that something will change on that front.

June is not that far away, patience is the word. New products with S2 will ship as of June 10th, so it stands to reason they will release S2 a bit earlier, to give people the chance to update their systems before new products start arriving. Or they might not. There really is no telling. Patience.

That’s exactly what I’d like to know. I have a Sub paired with my Play 5s for audio and a Beam for my TV in the same room. It’d be great to an Audio group of Play 5 x 2 + Sub and a TV group of Beam + Sub, that I could switched between. Anyone find anything on this? 

@Sjoop1985 is correct - neither of the ‘groups’ you mention is a group at all.  I think it would be very surprising if what you are requesting is implemented.  I suspect the Sub will still need to be removed and added to change which ‘room’ it is bonded to.  But I could be wrong.  We’ll see in June. 

Yeah, you’re probably right. I could handle the removing and adding generally, but the problem is I’d need to run Trueplay in both directions too. Too much hassle to do routinely.

I guess the other option would be to be able to save Trueplay settings do that when I move the sub back and forward between the Play 5s and the Beam, I don’t need to go through the whole Trueplay routine....

Yeah, you’re probably right. I could handle the removing and adding generally, but the problem is I’d need to run Trueplay in both directions too. Too much hassle to do routinely.

I guess the other option would be to be able to save Trueplay settings do that when I move the sub back and forward between the Play 5s and the Beam, I don’t need to go through the whole Trueplay routine....

Yes that would certainly be helpful. 

I would still think it should be possible and valuable to accomplish this considering all settings are done in software.  Either through remembering the settings (trueplay or manual) and making it easy to switch the “bonded” speakers manually or allowing groups to remember and switch them. 

Hopefully Sonos has thought of this. It would improve many setups, increasing their quality of sound and impressing more potential customers. Those that come to our homes and get the best commercial by listening to our setups. 

Nobody knows what’s possible via software, other than the engineers who write the software.  However, I find it telling that the Sonoseqncer app does all sorts of things the Sonos app doesn’t - pair unlike models, set levels across groups, set levels across all speakers, etc.  The only thing it does not do is quickly and easily switch a Sub or surrounds from one configuration to another.   If it is “easily done in software” the rule breaking people behind the Sonoseqncer app probably would have done it by now. 

Take of that what you will.