Question

Grouping Issue on Mac Controller

• 30 October 2016
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
  • Prodigy III
  • 307 replies
I have found what I believe is a bug in the Sonos controller, at least for macOS. I have notified Sonos, and they've asked me to call which I will try to do on Mon/Tue. But I suspect that others will see this with the Mac controller as I've noticed this on 2 different Macs on the same Sonos system. Further, I have tested this on a Win 10 PC and the same Sonos system, and the Win PC displays properly. I am interested to know if others see this...

I have a number of artists with many albums. I noticed that for artists with enough albums to force the Sonos app to group by letter, that if there is an album with a numeric title, it throws off the grouping. I have 2 screenshots attached:

Rolling Stones (49 albums) - The album 12 x 5 appears 1st in the list. Then, A Bigger Bang is still in the A section, but Aftermath falls down to the B section. This continues for other letters. All the way to the end of my Rolling Stones collection, Undercover falls to V. And the final album, Voodoo Lounge, does not appear on the list at all and I only see 48 of the 29 albums. However, if I go into the All view, I do see the Voodoo Lounge songs.

Rush (19 albums) - Similar to the Rolling Stones, my 1st Rush album has a numeric title, 2112. A Farewell to Kings falls to the next grouping, which in this case is C. You can see the pattern continue with Counterpoints falling to F and Fly by Night to G. All the way to the end of my Rush collection, Test for Echo falls to V. And the final album, Vapor Trails, does not appear on the list at all and I only see 18 of the 19 albums. However, if I go into the All view, I do see the Vapor Trails songs.

I have not included screenshots, but I have 2 other examples that display properly:

Billy Joel (17 albums) - My collection includes 2 numerically titled albums, and they appear 1st in the list. However, I have fewer total albums in this collection, and they do not group by letter. Unlike with Rolling Stones and Rush, all 17 albums do appear.

REO Speedwagon (26 albums) - This collection does not include any numerically titled albums, and all 26 appear properly grouped.

I am sure many of you have huge collections, so may notice the same problem.

Thank you, John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I'm seeing the same thing on our macs. The numbered album names appear above the "A" section on Windows. On Mac they appear in the "A" section, throwing the listing off, with last album(s) not showing at the bottom of the list.
If the list includes album names that begin with symbols, they appear in the "#" section above "A". But then if that list also includes album names that begin with numbers, they still appear in the "A" section, throwing off the grouping and dropping the last album(s).
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Thanks, kdowling. I will update my support ticket with Sonos to indicate that you see the same issue on Mac and not on Windows. Looks like it really is an issue with the Sonos macOS app.
Upon further investigating, this appears to be an "off by one" programming error. The last numbered/symbol album name always appears first in the following section, throwing the listing off by one, and dropping the last album.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Exactly. And further, it only really affects those artists with many albums. For those artists with fewer (looks like the cutoff is about 18), Sonos does not show the letter breakouts.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
To cross-reference a similar post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/music-library-1-entry-off-6761525/index1.html#post16064946
I can't believe this wasn't fixed for version 7.0.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Right. I just checked and mine is still the same even on v7.
Still not fixed in Ver 7.1. I don't understand.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I did get an email from Sonos about 2-3 weeks ago - they did ID the problem and it will be fixed eventually.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Related, when browsing Artist via Genre:
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/bug-with-non-alphabetic-letters-genre-mode-6764921#post16084191

It's my belief it's the added "All" cathegory that triggers the bug. Only when there is an "All"I see this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I actually heard from Sonos yesterday they they've fixed the issue and it in beta, to be in the production version soon.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This issue has been resolved with the latest 7.2 update
I was just about to post that. You beat me to it.