Skip to main content
We have supported Sonos for many years now in our our CQC automation platform (www.charmedquark.com) using the UPnP interface (a lot of work on our part because it wasn't documented per se.) There keep being looming rumors that it's going to be whacked at some point.

How do we go about getting access to the new API? I'm sure there's a better place for this, so I'm mainly looking to get pointed in the right direction.
You can signup here http://musicpartners.sonos.com/
We have supported Sonos for many years now in our our CQC automation platform (www.charmedquark.com) using the UPnP interface (a lot of work on our part because it wasn't documented per se.) There keep being looming rumors that it's going to be whacked at some point.

How do we go about getting access to the new API? I'm sure there's a better place for this, so I'm mainly looking to get pointed in the right direction.

Dean-

Be careful about switching from UPnP to the new API. I know things went very badly for Control4 when they did it so be sure you know what you are getting into before you go down that road. Your customers will not be happy if the end result is less Sonos functionality than they are currently enjoying through your product.
You can signup here http://musicpartners.sonos.com/

Wrong API... he's looking for a control API, not the one for music services. I think they're two different things... not sure that the Music Partners site gives access to the control one though.
We wouldn't throw out the UPnP driver just because we implemented the new API. Both can be kept around indefinitely as required.

And yeh, we are looking for the control API. I assume that the new API replaces the control aspects of the UPnP interface and the access to the user's local music repository? Or does it just provide a separate music services interface and the rest of the UPnP interface remain in force?
Sorry I thought that would get you access to all the resources or at least the right people.
That link is close, you'll want to sign up to be notified of platform details here: http://developer.sonos.com
Saved by the Cavalry!
So, as best I can tell from that other page, it's only open to companies that Sonos wants to let in, and there's no way to even request to be added to that list. Therefore there's no way for our company, which has an enormous amount of experience in control protocol development, to even contribute to the conversation, much less get approved.

Given how long it's been in development, the fact that it's still not even open to evaluation by qualified participants is pretty sub-optimal.
I would think signing up as developer they would open a dialog with you.
I'd expect that if you follow the instructions where it says to "Introduce yourself and we’ll notify you when you can start building.", it would be a good start, and you would subsequently be contacted by someone who could help you much more than those of us here in the public community support forum.
I would talk to them before complaining about what it says on the website.
I'll do it but I doubt anyone will contact us. It says right there in the same paragraph that it's to sign up to be notified when the API is opened up. Anyway, I'll try it. It can't hurt.
Ryan can you help on this?
Now that I think about it, I think that page has been there a long time, and that I already did it once quite some time ago. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I did. I don't want them thinking I'm psycho boy, doing it repeatedly or something.
Now that I think about it, I think that page has been there a long time, and that I already did it once quite some time ago. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I did. I don't want them thinking I'm psycho boy, doing it repeatedly or something.

It's been around, but there's some new stuff in there. I'd sign up again anyway. The team looks at all those messages.