Answered

External Hard Drive of Songs

• 21 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have 1,000s of songs on a stand alone hard drive (no power). I want to play them on my Sonos, utilizing either a music source, an app, or hardware (3mm input jack).  I would like the functionality to search songs/albums/artists (just like an iPod).  Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 November 2022, 22:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

1. Provide the hard drive with power. 
  2. Set up access using the normal process of setting up a local library.

Alternately, copy the data over to an NAS, and use that same setup process to point to the NAS. 

There is no “music” storage in Sonos. It only reads data from elsewhere, based on the playlist. 

Badge

Where would the NAS connect to? 

Your network? That’s the N in NAS. Network Attached Storage.

Badge

I knew what the N stood for, but was asking where on the network. Router? Sonos? Etc…

Typically, the hard drive would be physically wired to the router via a LAN port or a USB port. Which one depends on what the two device are able to support. Once that is done, Sonos, that is wirelessly connected to the router, can also access the music on the hard drive that is wired to the router.

Another option is to use the Plex service.  It’s a good choice if you want to be able to listen to your private music away from home, or if you also have movies, home music and other media you want to be able to stream to TVs or devices away from home.