Exporting Sonos playlists

• 22 January 2020
  • 53 replies

Userlevel 3

I am a little shocked that Sonos still hasn’t provided a way to export a playlist yet. I have invested a lot into the speaker system because of the quality however being restricted like this is discerning to say the least. I am not sure what the point is now in creating a Sono playlist ever and I’ll keep to only using Spotify or Apple musics playlist features. Sonos I would highly recommend you invest in this feature moving forward. 

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Why would Sonos be interested in doing that?

Userlevel 3

...so I can export my playlist to any other music service. So I can create playlists based on my home computer music files but also listen to the same playlist with other music sources. Does that answer your question? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Nope, that is why you want it, not Sonos.

Userlevel 3

Gee, Stanley, thanks for confirming I should have invested into a Bose sound system instead of being restricted by Sonos software. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Maybe you can help me here, I can’t find a way to export playlists from Bose, do you have anything that tells me how to do it? I can find import instructions but not export.

Userlevel 2

@Stanley_4 why are you being so obtuse and unhelpful?

Wanting to export a Sonos queue or playlist is a perfectly reasonable request. 

My scenario would be when we have added tracks to a Sonos queue and want to save it to Tidal or Deezer or wherever for playing in the car or elsewhere at a later date. At the moment we are stuck with it existing in Sonos only. 

There are plenty of tools to transfer playlists between music services, so why not Sonos? Duh! 

Userlevel 1

Completely forgot about this problem - just spent an hour making up a playlist for a party tonight and now I cannot export it to a usb or itunes to take to my friend. Ugh!!

Having to start again.  With itunes. Same music library on same PC.

I love my Sonos and my last speaker from 2017 is not going to be supported so I am afraid I will have to use i tunes and bluetooth in future.

Really feel let down by Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Exporting a Sonos playlist as xml can be done with a simple UPnP tool and is documented on here somewhere. The hard part is importing. Each music service uses its own unique playlist format, but you can use a third party service (soundiiz) to convert it (so others have said, I have no personal experience).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Does not sound easy to me, but I’ve found a mention here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-playlist-export-or-back-up-17314/index10.html

Userlevel 1

Thanks guys.

In the end, as I was in a hurry, I left the Sonos window open, opened itunes in same screen and looked up each track from the Sonos playlist and made an itunes playlist. Highlighted that, copied to usb. Job done - the old fashioned way!!

Sonos could have made it so much easier.

I reckon I will be using Sonos less and less now and bluetoothing to my Bose soundbar.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So I ended up writing an app to do this, based on this thread: to export Sonos playlists, Favorites, Radio stations, and Alarms. It exports as human-readable (so you can manually do whatever you want with it) and machine-readable (for more advanced usage). Go to the iOS App Store and search for “sonos export playlist” and you’ll find it. Its free.

So I ended up writing an app to do this, based on this thread: to export Sonos playlists, Favorites, Radio stations, and Alarms. It exports as human-readable (so you can manually do whatever you want with it) and machine-readable (for more advanced usage). Go to the iOS App Store and search for “sonos export playlist” and you’ll find it. Its free.

So I went to the iOS App Store and it wasn’t there! And I thought that my problem was gone.

Of course my real problem is the inability of the Sonos system to cope with a change to the music source without wrecking playlists. Off topic, so I’ll go somewhere else. So that’s two player/speaker systems that have lost the plot. The other one was Squeezebox. I wonder what’s to come?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So I went to the iOS App Store and it wasn’t there! And I thought that my problem was gone.

Can’t explain why searching can’t find it (maybe it varies by country?), but try the name: “phonos plus”.

@controlav nice app! I was able to then go to tunemymusic.com and transfer my playlist.

Instructions below for an alternative way before finding this post that I had come up with to extract the playlist from Sonos to move to another service:

1. Ensure you have a Raspberry PI running with the Sonos API installed https://github.com/jishi/node-sonos-http-api
    2. Create a new Excel workbook on the same network that both your Raspberry Pi and Sonos are connected to
    3. In Excel, go to the 'Data' click on the 'From Web' option and put in the Sonos API query string http://RaspberryPi_IP:5005/Room Name/queue
    4. Once the Excel Power Query Editor opens,  right click on the 'List' column header and select 'To Table' and Click 'Ok' (No options should be selected)
    5. In the Converted to Table step, click on the left/right arrows icon in the 'Column1' header and  leave all columns checked, however uncheck the 'Use original column name as prefix' option and Click 'OK'
    6. In the Excel 'Home' Ribbon, click 'Close & Load'
    7. Save your new workbook for future use (you can use this to refresh with your current Sonos que at anytime)
    8. To convert your current Sonos que to another platform play list, in Excel go to 'File' and export to a CSV (Comma delimited) file and save the name of the file as the description of your playlist
    9. Go to http://www.tunemymusic.com and get choose 'Let's Start' and choose the 'Upload file' from the bottom of the page.
    10. From there, everything should be self explanatory

Userlevel 2

I use VLC to create playlists and save it in the .m3u file format. I store these playlists in a folder in Sonos app’s music library on my hard drive.  m3u is a simple format and can be edited with a text editor or just open it up in VLC to add/remove songs.  As for sharing the playlist, you can email the .m3u file to your friends etc.  :rage: to Sonos for still not implementing, after all these years and so many requests, what seems like a really easy, basic feature like exporting a playlist.  Did you know that if you ever  have to do a reset, you will permanently lose your Sonos playlists because in addition to not providing an export function, Sonos does not provide a way to back up one’s playlists. cheeeeehoooooo

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why would Sonos be interested in doing that?

Good question! TLDR; Sonos would be interested in doing that because they want customers to mention their product when asked for a recommendation.

If you’re satisfied with that answer feel free to stop here otherwise, read on for the real-world example that led me to this thread and learn

How a seemingly insignificant feature impacts the long-term viability of a business

TLDR; I lost my data. They lost my trust. Now I can’t recommend Sonos. 

Here’s how - switching from Google Play Music to Spotify

1. First, I went to Google Takeout and exported my playlists.
  2. I also have playlists created on my Sonos but unfortunately they aren’t synced to Google and can’t be exported or shared.
  3. Next, I signed up for Spotify and added it to Sonos.
  4. Then, I removed my Google Play account from Sonos.
  5. Now, My Sonos playlists are empty.
List of empty Sonos Playlists from removed Google Play Music account

The lesson I learned was don’t create Sonos playlists and don’t trust the Sonos app.

Why would Sonos care if they make money selling hardware?

How can me not using their free software have any measurable impact on their business? 

For the sake of simplicity, I will answer like this:

• What Sonos wants is paying customers, because that’s how they make money.
  • What Sonos needs is advocates, because that’s how they grow their business.

In short, even though a customer (me) spent thousands of dollars on Sonos products in the past 4 years I can no longer enthusiastically recommend their product.

How does my lack of enthusiasm affect their business?

When someone asks if I recommend Sonos over Apple or Google or Alexa I won’t have an easy answer, because it depends - the hardware is reliable but if you’re the kind of person who loves to create playlists I have a warning - there is no way to export them and personally, I lost every playlist I ever created, every song I ever loved, every queue I ever saved, all of it. 

In summary: Sonos should be interested to add support for playlist exporting because they can’t grow their business if loyal customers won’t recommend their product.

Happy to answer any follow-up questions.

So for those of us who have a Sonos Move, you cannot play your Sonos playlists via the app when the device is connected via Bluetooth. So, it would be useful if you could export/print your playlist to duplicate the playlists in Amazon music/Apple Music/Spotify etc…..

Perfectly reasonable request as this IS a software limitation whichever way you look at it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can now export your Sonos playlists easily to SoundIIZ, and then convert them to any music service: https://support.soundiiz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018717099-Export-Sonos-playlists-and-transfer-them-with-Soundiiz

So for those of us who have a Sonos Move, you cannot play your Sonos playlists via the app when the device is connected via Bluetooth. So, it would be useful if you could export/print your playlist to duplicate the playlists in Amazon music/Apple Music/Spotify etc…..

Perfectly reasonable request as this IS a software limitation whichever way you look at it.

If the playlist is constricted from many sources, this doesn't work. If it consists entirely of tracks from one service, it should have been constructed in that service in tbe first place, not as a Sonos playlist. 

Userlevel 1

You can now export your Sonos playlists easily to SoundIIZ, and then convert them to any music service: https://support.soundiiz.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018717099-Export-Sonos-playlists-and-transfer-them-with-Soundiiz

How does having media monkey result in my playlists being exported? All it had is a link to the app not instructions. Have you tried before you recommended?

(And yes as mentioned above the issue is your Sonos playlists are rendered useless when you change music provider as I have from Rhapsody to lastfm to  iTunes to Google Play music to Youtubemusic to Spotify.... (Early adopter)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Wil these threads help you?

Transfer of playlist or lists | Sonos Community

Feature Request: Export and Import Sonos Playlists | Sonos Community

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

How does having media monkey result in my playlists being exported? All it had is a link to the app not instructions. Have you tried before you recommended?

I don’t know anything about the Media Monkey thing, but as I wrote the Phonos Plus app I would indeed recommend that. A direct link to the video on using that is https://fb.watch/3QLqvhr19C/

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

And yes as mentioned above the issue is your Sonos playlists are rendered useless when you change music provider as I have from Rhapsody to lastfm to  iTunes to Google Play music to Youtubemusic to Spotify.... (Early adopter)

No, they are not useless. Export the Sonos playlist to SoundIIZ format, then use SoundIIZ to import into your new music service.

Userlevel 2

Me, too, I wanted to be on the save side and backup and export my precious Sonos playlists. And me, too, ended up writing my own app doing just so.

The result is called SonoSaver and can be found here in case you're interested: https://sonosaver.mrupp.ch/

I released it as shareware, but you can choose yourself of what you think it’s worth. And there’s a free version to test things out, first.

Also, I’m open to suggestions to enhance the app some more.

Cheers,
Michael

Me, too, I wanted to be on the save side and backup and export my precious Sonos playlists. And me, too, ended up writing my own app doing just so.

The result is called SonoSaver and can be found here in case you're interested: https://sonosaver.mrupp.ch/

I released it as shareware, but you can choose yourself of what you think it’s worth. And there’s a free version to test things out, first.

Also, I’m open to suggestions to enhance the app some more.

Cheers,
Michael

The above worked for me after exporting the playlists to .csv files and happy to recommend. Have suggested some tweaks to Michael to make it more straightforward to import them into Amazon etc. via MusConv etc.