• 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Please Sonos,
provide a dual mono output on connect:amp for using in two separete rooms
please, please, please
thanks
Andrea

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
HI Andrea,

Thanks for the suggestion, there's an Idea thread here already on the topic which I'll merge your thread to. No news at this time on making a CONNECT:AMP for Mono, or adding support for it. But we'll update that thread if anything new comes up.

Thanks
Has there been any more progress in the dual mono setup of connect amps? I have an installation to do where this would be suitable with over 6 amps with 12 stations plus 5 more amps for stereo / surround in one premise.
No, there is no mono output.
Dual mono - two Connect:Amps in mono mode, paired as stereo in the app - would be amazing and able to drive any size speakers (unless there are hardware limitations in the Amp?)
unless there are hardware limitations in the Amp?
There evidently are. The amplifiers can't be bridged.
Userlevel 3
You are all on the right track. I too have a situation (long patio) where I want to have 2 speakers running off of a single Connect:Amp but NOT in stereo mode. Just wanted to highlight one technical point. What we all actually want is a summed stereo signal to both channels. A mono signal would be either a true mono signal (single channel of info) or only 1 of the 2 stereo channels fed to both speakers. That would be a problem if you have an early Beatles recording where drums are in 1 channel and vocals in another. You’d end up with only 1 channel or the other & miss a lot of content. What we really want is to take both channels, sum them together to make a single (mono) channel & then feed that single channel to both amplified outputs. Sorry to get nerdy, but what we want is a summed stereo feed that goes to both channels, not simply a mono signal. Yes in the end, both approaches yield a mono signal, but how we get there is meaningfully different in what we hear. To back up what someone else wrote, buying a Connect & a separate power amp that supports “summed stereo” would accomplish the end result we all want, but is overkill, pricey, & takes up an unnecessary amount of space. I also agree with others in that this feature is smack dab in the middle of Sonos’ wheelhouse & is a surprise that Sonos after so many years still has not addressed this.
What we really want is to take both channels, sum them together to make a single (mono) channel & then feed that single channel to both amplified outputs. Sorry to get nerdy, but what we want is a summed stereo feed that goes to both channels, not simply a mono signal.
So long as you have basic soldering skills it's trivial to make up a small summing box. All it requires is a couple of 10K or 15K resistors. Google 'summing network'.
I would very much like the mono output as a software solution. For my patio when I am located in certain positions I would like to be able to listen in stereo, other locations mono. For this situation it really needs to be a software option not a hardwired solution. Without understanding the internal software architecture it is hard to know, but one would assume it would be fairly simple to implement. There are a lot of requests for this feature, would make a lot of customers happy for (presumably) not much work.

Thanks