Answered

Does Sonos S2 support SMB V2 V3?

Userlevel 1

I just updated flawlessly to S2 & V12. Are SMB shares with v2 or better v3 supported by now?

icon

Best answer by Wanderlust 12 December 2021, 20:13

View original

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

Like the content of this FAQ? Or are you asking for more information?

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

There would definitely be claims that SMB1 was required, because a year or more ago SMB1 was required. That’s a fact. But, those claims would be timestamped. If you know of any forum that it still saying that SMB1 is required with no follow-up posts since SMB2 onwards is supported, do let me know I’d be happy to login and update that forum.

S1 still requires SMB v1. There wasn’t enough space in memory on the Sonos devices to update the linux kernel to allow the use of later versions of SMB.

S2 can use up to SMB v3.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

thanks everyone! Been meaning to update to S2, so this may give me the kick that I need. TX again for the great info.

Badge

I am on S2 and have been having issues with my Synology NAS Music Library going missing. I have just finished a support call with Sonos and was informed my problem is using smbv2 on my NAS - apparently Sonos only officially support smbv1. Thus, I have to decide between security or music - my music library has a lot of music not available on Spotify or Amazon, so it is not a straightforward choice.

When I mentioned that I had seen an announcement that Sonos now supports smbv2, which was why I changed my NAS settings, the agent expressed surprise. He indicated that Sonos were still working on it. I guess the “announcement” I had in mind must have been a thread on here. However, I just looked at the FAQ referred to above, and that is Sonos indicating support for smbv2.

Does anyone else have a Synology-NAS-based music library keep disappearing using smbv2?

Badge

There would definitely be claims that SMB1 was required, because a year or more ago SMB1 was required. That’s a fact. But, those claims would be timestamped. If you know of any forum that it still saying that SMB1 is required with no follow-up posts since SMB2 onwards is supported, do let me know I’d be happy to login and update that forum.

A Sonos support agent just told me on the phone that SMBv1 is required, and that SMBv2 is not officially supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That is simply wrong.  And the Support agents should be 100% aware of this .

Does anyone else have a Synology-NAS-based music library keep disappearing using smbv2?

No issues with S2 and Synology. In fact I have successfully flipped between SMBV versions while music is playing.

SMB v1 is required only for S1 installations. Any version of SMB should work with S2. 

I’ve been tearing my hair out for months trying to get my Sonos system (S2) to connect to my NAS reliably, but I think I might have just sorted it…

• My issue at first was the library index failing part way through so I could only see part of my library.
  • Updated the NAS firmware and couldn’t connect at all as SMB1 was disabled.  Enabled it and was back to the partial library issue.
  • Months later… checked and the issue is still there.  But I noticed that despite (I thought) needing SMB1, Sonos was connecting via SMB3.  Configured the NAS to allow ONLY SMB1, then updated index.  All tracks seem to be in the Sonos library.
  • Back to NAS and reconfigured it to allow SMB2 and SMB3 but not SMB1.  Now listening to NAS music on Sonos via a SMB3 connection, without the SMB1 vulnerability…  Woo!!

So… Sonos S2 supports SMB3 but the library connection/update is flaky.  My workaround is to force a SMB1 connection for the update, then revert to SMB3 for normal use.  I don’t update my library too often so I can probably live with that until Sonos manages to fix the flaky updating.

@apbliv if you’re updating your library every day or week the above will be a pain, but I recommend giving it a go.

Badge

Thanks. I will give it a go, but I don’t hold out much hope. Sonos loses my library almost daily - if not hourly. Once it loses the library I have to restart from scratch by deleting the NAS connection in the sonos app.  Trying to reconnect is a pain as the app will then not find my NAS drive until I have had multiple goes both browsing for the NAS or just typing in the path.
There is something seriously wrong with the sonos software implementation of SMB2/3. My NAS works seamlessly on everything else I ask it to do. 

My experience has been the same as @buzz mentions above, in that I switched over most of my Sonos setup when S2 first became available some years ago and I switched my local Netgear OS6 NAS library to SMBv3 - (approx. 25000 tracks indexed) and it’s been fine ever since and always updates/indexes daily.

I too sometimes flip between different SMB versions, as some iOS Apps I occasionally use, support SMBv2 only, but mostly the library stays set these days to v3 and not had an issue with disconnection - it has been working fine. I can’t honestly think of a time where I needed to re-add the library path/login credentials to the Sonos App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m using a Linux box, a Raspberry Pi, as my NAS and it happily sits there and works.

I’m wondering if there isn’t something that a few NAS systems are doing that cause the NAS/Sonos issues.

Samba config is dead simple:

[global]

# enable v2 authentication
min protocol = SMB2
# Do not use protocol, limits S2 to SMB2_10
#protocol = SMB2
[music]                                                                                 
Comment = Pi shared folder                                                              
Path = /mnt/ssd-music                                                                   
Browseable = yes                                                                        
Writeable = Yes                                                                         
only guest = no                                                                         
create mask = 0555                                                                      
directory mask = 0555                                                                   
Public = yes                                                                            
Guest ok = yes 

Badge

Thanks for all the suggestion.

My music library has stayed up for nearly 24 hours, which is unusual

Maybe the issue is with the Synology NAS? I can’t restrict the NAS to just SMB v3 - min SMB2 and max SMB3.

As it is snowing and my Thursday morning outdoor tennis is cancelled, I decided to try Update my Music Library Now and up pops a message that my Music Library is “no longer available”. The Music Library is gone again.

I deleted my music library, added it again and reconnected at the second attempt. Update Music Files then tells me the Music Library is unavailable, so I am back in that loop. At least streaming the music gives some money to the artists, though I can’t stream all the things I want to listen to.

Sonos Windows App is version 15.1.1 and my Synology NAS is DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4 - both the latest versions.

Looking in the NAS logs at how many external users have been trying to connect to my NAS, I don’t want to risk SMB1.

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) and set up an account for Sonos Access to the Music folder of that NAS only. Set Sonos as the user name and added a suitably long password. Works a treat.  

BUT

Sometimes when the NAS has gone into Idle it can take 5-10 seconds for Sonos to see the Music folder and throws a few “Can’t find track” errors.  Soon clears though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looking in the NAS logs at how many external users have been trying to connect to my NAS, I don’t want to risk SMB1.

Your NAS is exposed to the internet??? That sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Badge

Hi bockersjv

I had everything working perfectly before my work admin told me to disable SMB1 (which I am glad they did). Since disabling it, though, I have had nothing but woe with my music library in Sonos.

I can make sure the NAS is not idling by running a sync job with my laptop, and Sonos will still not find the NAS - just tells me it is either switched off or the path has changed. A NAS reboot has made it visible again, and it indexes.

Maybe I just need to schedule a nighttime reboot.

Thanks for the input.

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) and set up an account for Sonos Access to the Music folder of that NAS only. Set Sonos as the user name and added a suitably long password. Works a treat.  

BUT

Sometimes when the NAS has gone into Idle it can take 5-10 seconds for Sonos to see the Music folder and throws a few “Can’t find track” errors.  Soon clears though.

My Synology’s are slow starting. Sometimes as I start a new listening session SONOS will become impatient and throw an error message. Usually, this results in the first track being aborted.

Badge +3

BUT

@bockersjv 

Can you elaborate on this please?

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) too, and my music library has been refusing to play properly. I can see everything listed, but it frequently skips tracks. (Log files show it is trying to connect using SMB1).

Are you saying you have a separate account on your NAS for Sonos only? Why would that make a difference?
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

BUT

@bockersjv

Can you elaborate on this please?

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) too, and my music library has been refusing to play properly. I can see everything listed, but it frequently skips tracks. (Log files show it is trying to connect using SMB1).

Are you saying you have a separate account on your NAS for Sonos only? Why would that make a difference?
Thanks

Yes I set up a Sonos “user” with a Password on my NAS with RW access to my Music Folder only.

Set Application for this user as :-

• Audio Station,DSM and SMB only.
  • Hibernation set at 1 hour in Power settings.

Not sure if this will sort your issue but it solved intermittent access issues I had and is good practice anyway.

Good luck