Question

Direct Tidal control?

• 16 December 2016
  • 7 replies

I see that Spotify now has the possibility to play directly from the app without the need to start the Sonos app.
Are there any plans to make this possible in Tidal? If so, when?
If not, guess I am switching to Spotify...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Ditto for Deezer. I've been enjoying experimenting with the Spotify direct feature, but I am not interested in Spotify's lower streaming quality. I subscribe to both Tidal and Deezer high-res streaming.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
What have Tidal or Deezer told you when you asked them when they were going to implement this feature. They are their apps. Nothing to do with Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Again???? You fanboys sound like a broken record. I didn't read anything here suggesting that it has anything to do with, or not to do with, what Sonos has or has not done. But, of course, it has something to do with Sonos since we are all Sonos owners and this is a Sonos forum. I do note that Sonos was quick to jump on the "look how great we are" bandwagon when direct play with Spotify became available.
You fanboys sound like a broken record.
Fanboys? Anyway, the message is the same however many times it needs to be repeated. Sometimes the truth can hurt.

I didn't read anything here suggesting that it has anything to do with, or not to do with, what Sonos has or has not done.

Of course the Spotify direct control project required collaboration between them and Sonos. The same would be true of any other streaming service whose app was going to control Sonos directly, though one would assume that much of the work Sonos put into Spotify could be re-used.

As for whether Deezer Elite could ever support the direct control model it's hard to say. The Deezer native app can't handle FLAC, and treats Elite subscribers as Premium+.
Again???? You fanboys sound like a broken record. I didn't read anything here suggesting that it has anything to do with, or not to do with, what Sonos has or has not done. But, of course, it has something to do with Sonos since we are all Sonos owners and this is a Sonos forum. I do note that Sonos was quick to jump on the "look how great we are" bandwagon when direct play with Spotify became available.

Against my better judgment, I'm going to address this. The original effort by Sonos to develop the Direct Control API for Spotify and other services was rightfully claimed as an achievement by Sonos' development team. It is something they hadn't done before, aside from the Android only implementation of Google Play Music. Now that the API is developed and tested, the majority of impetus is up to the services to integrate their apps with the API, just as Spotify has done. Sonos has opened up the door, provided the tools, and demonstrated a willingness to have third party apps play directly to Sonos speakers. It is only logical that it is now up to the services themselves to choose to work with Sonos or not.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
"Sometimes the truth can hurt." Lol. Actually, it is my belief that some of the posters in this community should realize that for the rest of us, Sonos is not our life. Sonos is a collection of boxes that play music, and we sometimes pay attention to them. We're not here posting hundreds of replies a year, nor are we "hurt" by anything. We don't actually take Sonos that seriously, aside from the fact that it is a useful product that obviously can be refined and made better. What I saw here was a poster asking whether something that was done with Spotify was possible with Tidal (and I added Deezer to the mix). Nobody suggested it should be done by Sonos, or that it should be done by Tidal. But again, we get the smug fanboy response that we see so often here..."what did xxx say when you asked them?" Of course, one could assume that was something other than a smug fanboy response if it weren't for the fact that the person who posted that reply has said the same thing many times in many discussions. Perhaps it helps him feel superior; I don't know. In my opinion, it makes him look like an ass. Edit: I posted this before reading jgatie's response, which seems to be to be a logical, helpful approach to explaining the issue without attempting to demean anyone.
I posted this before reading jgatie's response, which seems to be to be a logical, helpful approach to explaining the issue without attempting to demean anyone.

Well, I bet that's something the mods never thought they would hear. 😃