Skip to main content

Hi.  I see at times my Sonos S2 and S1 apps losing connections to my speakers my new Mac Mini M1.  Is there a date for when a M1 native app will be released?

There’s no connection between an M1 native app, and issues causing your speakers to drop off the network. 

I run the current controller on my M1 Air without issue, for my 20 plus Sonos speakers. 

As an aside, Sonos doesn’t discuss software development, or release dates. 

I’d recommend that you investigate why your speakers are dropping off the network, I’d hazard a guess that there is either wifi interference of some type, or potentially duplicate IP addresses in use on the network.

Make sure you are running the latest MacOS and that the Sonos App is updated. FYI, I have no issues with my M1 MacMini nor my M1 13-inch MacBook Pro. Be advised to follow @Airgetlam advice.

Thanks for those who responded.  The Sonos apps for the Mac are not ARM64.  They require Rosetta to run.  Does anyone know when the M1 native apps would be released?

@LeoOttawa  Are you saying that when you use an iphone, or android, the Sonos app connects to your speakers without issue?  It’s just the Mac that has issues?

The vast majority of connectivity issues are due to router or WiFi issues in your home.  Unless a ton of other people are having M1 Mach issues, I don’t think a change to the app is going to resolve your issues.

Let me repeat:

…, Sonos doesn’t discuss software development, or release dates. 

And frankly, given the de-prioritization of the desktop app (you can no longer use it for set up purposes, only playback), I’d be rather surprised if anyone at Sonos is working on such a thing. All development appears to be focused on mobile device controllers, either iOS or Android. 

Thanks for your responses, Bruce - I missed your point on Sonos’ software plans.  I do agree that they are focusing on mobile controllers, which is unfortunate in my opinion.  

Hard for me to argue that point, I too use my various Macs on a frequent basis as controllers. At this point, I’m somewhat resigned to the fact that my needs don’t necessarily align with the greater needs as perceived by the Product Managers at Sonos. And they likely have hard data to back up their conclusions, whereas I only have my personal needs and desires. 

As others (including myself) have stated the issue is not with the Sonos App. If you read my post I have no issues with either of my M1 Macs. That said the Issue has to be with your network.

If you are still not convinced you can re-install the MacOS in recovery mode. Doing so doesn’t erase anything. It just provides a fresh OS. Follow the directions in the link. Be sure to follow the guide for a Mac with Silicon.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Also posted in another Rosetta issue thread but I also am a user who loved it much more when the desktop apps were more useful. As of the last update to the desktop app my M1 Max gets crushed by something crashing the sonos app.  

My Sonos 2 app has started crashing, or being extremely slow on my M1 Mac Air, to the point it is really unusable.  MacOS is all up to date.  I just check my older Macbook Pro that is running the latest version of MacOS for that model.  That seems to be running better. certainly not the same issues as the M1 Macbook Air. 

I thought it might have something to do with a recent addition of a Plex Server via a WD EX2 Ultra NAS drive, but mobile apps and the Macbook Pro all seem to be working.

What did Sonos Support say, after you submitted a diagnostic after an event, and called in so they could look at the data in the diagnostic?