Copying playlist from S1 to S2.

• 30 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge +2

I have 2 sonos systems;  one S1 and one S2. I would like to copy playlists etc from one to the other.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @User279803 

Thanks for your post!

To be honest, I’m surprised you haven’t yet heard from community member @controlav  - they wrote a third-party app that I believe allows you to do exactly that.

I think you will soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks @Corry P . My iOS app can do that, see my profile for details.

Badge +2

Unfortunately, I have no iOS devices.

I think it is pretty poor form from Sonos that they don’t provide a way to do this. I too have an existing S1 system and now run a S2 system with a Roam SL along side it.

I think it is pretty poor form from Sonos that they don’t provide a way to do this. I too have an existing S1 system and now run a S2 system with a Roam SL along side it.

You may find various ways to achieve this already, if you search via a search engine online. Some sites and 3rd party apps seem to allow you to export/import the playlists as .txt or .xml files. So probably no point Sonos reinventing the same wheel.

You may find various ways to achieve this already, if you search via a search engine online. Some sites and 3rd party apps seem to allow you to export/import the playlists as .txt or .xml files. So probably no point Sonos reinventing the same wheel.

Sonos should have invented this wheel in the first place. The fact their upgrade process copies across the playlists shows they have the tools to do it.

In my own use-case, I tend to save my own playlists to my main MSP native App and that makes them available (and always in sync) across both S1 and S2 Apps.

Local playlists are stored on my NAS (.m3u format with straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, as a single ‘one-line’ entry, which seems to work best). I strip out all the m3u header/extensions from the file too.

Ken

Can you explain how you do that.  I have a Synology Nas and store my music on the Nas but I am not familiar with how to tell Sonos where to store my playlist.  

Ken

Can you explain how you do that.  I have a Synology Nas and store my music on the Nas but I am not familiar with how to tell Sonos where to store my playlist.  

An .m3u playlist is a plain text file. See this link for further info…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

For local NAS playlists, I personally now find that straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, as a single ‘one-line’ entry, seems to work best for each .m3u playlist.

Here are a couple of ‘example’ entries (as seen in a text editor) to hopefully demonstrate what I mean, but clearly your own network path will be different:

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

\\192.168.0.1\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\Stagnation.flac

I also chose to strip out everything else from the playlist file, including these ‘directive extensions’…

#EXTM3U - file header

#EXTINF: - track information/title

Note: Some .m3u playlist files may contain other types of ‘extensions’, which can all be removed. See the Wikipedia link at the beginning of my post here.

The extensions are not required for Sonos use, so I personally found removing ALL worked best for speed of loading the playlist.

In addition to the format stated above, the netbios name of the host NAS/PC also works well in place of the LAN IP address. Example:

\\MyWindowsPC\MyNAS\MyLibraryShares\Music\Genesis\Trespass\The Knife.flac

I have gone onto convert all my playlists to the above format and have just opted to place them in a separate folder within the local library, but they can be stored anywhere in the library that you’re indexing when using the UNC path for each track.

Using the above method I was able to get a 25,000+ playlist load to a Sonos player queue in a matter of a few seconds, well within the usual 15 second timeout period.

Anyhow, I hope that assists.