Skip to main content

I have a completely wired ethernet configuration. I have a play 3, ZP80, and playbar all hardwired through ethernet and a computer also wired using the desktop app to control them. I have the wireless radios all disabled on the 3 players.

My problem is my android phone also hardwired with ethernet will not allow me to see rooms or play music this way. Is there something I’m doing wrong to get the android to work in wired mode? Since the desktop app functions in this manner, I’m lead to believe the android apps can also, but I can’t seen to get it to function. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Before you give advice, I’m not interested in using any kind of wireless transmission at all. Yes, I do know this was how Sonos was designed, but I only want everything wired. Thank you!

Before you give advice, I’m not interested in using any kind of wireless transmission at all. Yes, I do know this was how Sonos was designed, but I only want everything wired. 

Then you’re not compatible with the system requirements. Official support may therefore be in short supply.

Ethernet connections on Android devices tend to be hit and miss. Yours may not handle multicast. 

A further possibility is that the Sonos controller simply won’t bind to anything other than the WiFi interface.

I’m not interested in using any kind of wireless transmission at all. 

As a matter of interest, why? 

As a matter of interest, why? 

Awww, you know why.  :wink:

Thanks for the quick reply. I took a look at the page you linked, but I’m not sure what you were referring to specifically. Do you mean my android device may not support the STP? Is STP another name for multicast you spoke of?

I was afraid that the controller app may not work with anything other than wifi, as you suggested. That’s why I posted, so see if anybody can share some personal experience here. 

As for the reason why I’m, disabling wifi in my home in an attempt to reduce EMF exposure.  

Again, thanks for your help!

Thanks for the quick reply. I took a look at the page you linked, but I’m not sure what you were referring to specifically.

Network requirements

General requirements

• High speed wired internet connection such as cable, fiber, or DSL
  • WiFi router
  • Sonos app and all Sonos products are on the same subnet

As for the reason why I’m, disabling wifi in my home in an attempt to reduce EMF exposure. 

I take it then that you don’t use a mobile phone. Or go outside, especially on sunny days. And in particular you never fly.

Oh, I missed that part, I was looking right past it for something more specific, lol. Thanks for clarifying that.

I’m not sure of your line of questioning, but I’ll assume that its curiosity and not mean spirited, since you are being helpful.

All I said was I’m forgoing in home wifi to reduce exposure that I can control. Additionally, I attempt to control other exposures you mentioned. I opt to bypass the airport screenings when I’m able to. I don’t use my mobile phone in my bedroom. I disable most transmission protocols when its in my pocket. I use it with headphones to keep it away from my brain when possible. In fact, I’ve been considering going back to a home phone, not because of EMF expose, but because I’m starting to feel like we as a society are worse off for having mobile computers with us constantly. I’m not the only one to feel this way, but I understand that I’m in a minority of people who make efforts like this. I believe that there is sufficient evidence that these technologies are not benign and I feel it prudent to control the risk factors that I easily can.

I encourage you to do some research on the safety of our advancements for your own health. I’m not specifically referring to EMFs, but many technologies bring along dangers and determents to us all. i.e. chemicals, plastics, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, factory farms, etc. I don’t mean to specifically derail this conversation, but just to highlight that because someone has a different view than you doesn’t make that view less valid. In fact, we can all learn much from each other by sharing with an open mind. 

Again, thanks for you help

Actually, having a view that is the opposite of all peer reviewed scientific evidence is the very definition of "less valid".

Actually, having a view that is the opposite of all peer reviewed scientific evidence is the very definition of "less valid".

Actually, that statement is not entirely accurate. The Earth was round even when all the science at the time though otherwise. So, someone with that view would technically be more valid even though it was opposite of the scientific community.  Science only shows us what it knows at the time and that will always only be a picture of the true reality. 

But that is besides the point, all the peer reviewed scientific evidence does not say that EMFs are safe. I encourage you to do some research, if your interested in learning more of course.

Back to my original post, I’ve found that an ipad can work with Sonos and ethernet, but I haven’t found a solution for the android app yet. If anyone has been able to get this to work, I’d appreciate your experience, thanks.

Use a PC, wired, and not the Android controller. You won’t be able to setup a new system, add new hardware or do come system configuration, but you will be able to take system updates.

If you want something more “portable”, get a Windows tablet and use a usb-ethernet adaptor. The PC controller does not care one whit whether the network connection is wireless or wired.

Use a PC, wired, and not the Android controller. You won’t be able to setup a new system, add new hardware or do come system configuration, but you will be able to take system updates.

If you want something more “portable”, get a Windows tablet and use a usb-ethernet adaptor. The PC controller does not care one whit whether the network connection is wireless or wired.

Thanks, that is currently what I’m doing. 

I was just wondering if the issue I’m having with android is mine alone or a universal one.

I was just wondering if the issue I’m having with android is mine alone or a universal one.

I doubt there are very many others using a mobile Android device with a wired connection who could weigh in. As @ratty said it is quite possible the app is coded specifically for WiFi only. As Android devices used to support SonosNet directly, that increases the chances of such a check.

Actually, that statement is not entirely accurate. The Earth was round even when all the science at the time though otherwise. So, someone with that view would technically be more valid even though it was opposite of the scientific community.  Science only shows us what it knows at the time and that will always only be a picture of the true reality. 

But that is besides the point, all the peer reviewed scientific evidence does not say that EMFs are safe. I encourage you to do some research, if your interested in learning more of course.

Back to my original post, I’ve found that an ipad can work with Sonos and ethernet, but I haven’t found a solution for the android app yet. If anyone has been able to get this to work, I’d appreciate your experience, thanks.

There were no peer reviewed scientific studies which proved the Earth was flat.  Though they predated Sir Francis Bacon's establishment of the inductive method for scientific inquiry by around 1800 years, Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes and others knew the earth was round, and Eratosthenes even estimated the circumference in 240 BC.  No true scientist ever thought the earth was flat, at least one who used the scientific method.  Even if they did, it would have been proven untrue by peer reviewed use of the scientific method, not by fear mongering internet sites.

As to EMF being harmful, show me one peer reviewed scientific study which conclusively states non-ionising radiation at the transmission levels used by WiFi is harmful to humans.  There are none.

I doubt there are very many others using a mobile Android device with a wired connection who could weigh in. As @ratty said it is quite possible the app is coded specifically for WiFi only. As Android devices used to support SonosNet directly, that increases the chances of such a check.

Yes, I agree that there is probably very little experience of this situation, that’s why I posted here. Thanks for your support!

There were no peer reviewed scientific studies which proved the Earth was flat.  Though they predated Sir Francis Bacon's establishment of the inductive method for scientific inquiry by around 1800 years, Plato, Aristotle, Archimedes and others knew the earth was round, and Eratosthenes even estimated the circumference in 240 BC.  No true scientist ever thought the earth was flat, at least one who used the scientific method.  Even if they did, it would have been proven untrue by peer reviewed use of the scientific method, not by fear mongering internet sites.

As to EMF being harmful, show me one peer reviewed scientific study which conclusively states non-ionising radiation at the transmission levels used by WiFi is harmful to humans.  There are none.

Thank you for the this information. I admit, I did not research the history of the science of the shape of the Earth for my previous post. I was just using an example of established science to make a quick point. I did not come here for an argument, but rather help. I made a quick analogy in defense of my viewpoint. My post was not about trying to change anybody’s mind. It’s ok by me whatever anyone believes. But, since you asked for evidence, I did a quick google search. This metanalysis was published in Environmental Research in 2018:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300355#:~:text=Repeated%20Wi%2DFi%20studies%20show,endocrine%20changes%2C%20and%20calcium%20overload.

I hope it’s helpful for you. I may be wrong, or I may be right, but I’m allowed to setup my stereo however I see fit!

Hi @User434538 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can’t speak for the Sonos app specifically, but I have had experience with Android apps on a device connected via ethernet.

Typically, Android apps (or at least those meant for phones) check for an internet connection on the ath0 device, which is WiFi. Ethernet is typically addressed as eth0. Therefore, many apps will not realise you’re online.

To remedy this, you’d need an app that will disguise the eth0 device as ath0. I don’t know if this can be done on an unrooted device. In my own experience, it was a setting provided by the device manufacturer as it had it’s own built-in ethernet interface. As your phone was never intended to have an ethernet connection, you’ll need to resort to an app. I’m only assuming one exists.

I hope this helps.