Skip to main content

Today our S1 apps (Android) told us that upgrade to S2 was compulsory as the S1 controller was no longer compatible with our system. Nothing has changed since it worked fine yesterday.

Is anybody else being forced to change? Given negativity I see on S2 stability I am reluctant to upgrade if I don’t have to.

All my devices are S2 compatible BTW

Seems unlikely as OS requirements are identical for both apps. Please post a screenshot, and give the Android version you are running.

Oxygen 10.3.6 see attached messages and status…

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.*

@MikeCABZ, The firmware of the Play:1 is on 12.1 (S2), presumably your other Sonos components are also running on S2. That’s why the Sonos app is insisting on being upgraded as well.

It still doesn't explain why last week the system was happy being controlled by S1 and then Monday morning without any intervention from us we are forced to upgrade. Despite what the Company says you basically have to move to S2 because eventually one of your components is going to update automatically and undermine S1. As it happens the S2 upgrade went smoothly, but you can understand our reticence when the App has such negative feedback on Play Store.

@MikeCABZ, The Sonos app is just a remote control, the actual brain are the components. Remove the S1 app from all devices (it’s useless now) and download the S2 app from the respective store.

Many thanks for your suggestions but none of you guys are getting my point which is.

Sonos proclaims loudly in its PR that you won’t have to upgrade if you don’t want to. This is basically complete BS! Users will be migrated by their hardware and those unlucky enough to have a mix of older kit are going to have to run two systems.

Honesty is always the best policy, so instead of “lying”, Firstly put out factually correct PR apologising for the obsolescence but extoling the reality of having to move forward! Secondly answer support calls and help customers proactively.

Rant over, but trust in this Company is severely damaged, if I wanted my brain removed and to be a slave to the whims of the supplier I’d be an Apple customer!

Upgrading to S2 requires several steps. I do not expect the system does this by itself. Did you ask other persons in your household if they performed the upgrade?

Are there any disadvantages for you to be on S2? 

Upgrading to S2 requires you to install the S2 app, so you cannot be “forced” into an upgrade. If you have very new hardware of course it won’t work without the S2 app, but nothing will force S2 on you.

I’d like to see a screenshot of this forcing.

Stop treating me like an idiot, I already told you it was working fine on S1 the day before then we wake up Monday morning and both our S1 phone apps refuse to work unless we upgrade to S2.

How could we have changed anything when we were asleep?

​​​As it happens the S2 upgrade was fine, however there is so much negative feedback about S2 i didn't want to do it when S1 worked fine.

I have given you the feedback, if you don't want to listen not my problem.

@MikeCABZ . In the Sonos app, do you have automatic system updates enabled? (Settings, System, System Updates).

Everybody who has posted on this thread is a fellow user giving their time and experience to try to help you discover what has happened and what might be done. None of us is employed by Sonos. None of us is interested in getting 'feedback' from you.

In order to unlock the S2 app one has to initiate the compatibility check first within the settings of the S1 app. And there is nothing fundamentally wrong with S2. It worked fine for me from the start.

There must be millions of users on S2 by now. For someone with speakers that are all S2 compatible it is the only sensible place to be.