Answered

CD Player via Home AV Receiver Using Sonos Connect

• 23 February 2023
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, 

I have an older Sonos Connect that I have used for years to integrate my home audio AV receiver into the Sonos ecosystem so I can enjoy audio through my primary home theatre system. 

I have the Sonos Connect plugged into CD-R input on my Yamaha receiver. It all works well when I am using a streaming service like Pandora or Amazon Music. 

What I can’t figure out is how to integrate my CD player from the home theater system into the Sonos ecosystem. If I were to plug the Connect into the back of the CD player (which I actually cannot since this is occupied via line out to the receiver) I would lose the receiver’s usage as the primary sound source for this area. 

I know I am missing something here. Am I running a line out from the Connect to something? 

Thanks in advice for any suggestions. 

Regards, 

Michael

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 February 2023, 22:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Try hooking the Connect to your tape monitor connections and the CD to the reciever’s CD jacks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Stanley,

I currently have the CD player RCA ‘cable out’ to the CD ‘audio in’ on the receiver. 

I am assuming that the Line Out from the Connect then has to go to the RCA ‘audio in’ on the back of the CD player, if there is such a hookup?

What does hooking the Connect to the tape monitor do? Am I going audio out from the receiver to audio in on the Connect? 

I’m not able to get to the system right now or I would pull it out and try it. My daughter has a zoom class and is in that room.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Using the tape monitor jacks makes the connect work exactly as a tape player/recorder would. You can use it as an output or an input.

The Connect will receive whatever is playing on your receiver from the tape jack.

The receiver if set to the Tape Monitor position will play what ever is coming from the Connect.

You should not need to connect the Connect to the CD player.

Your user manual should have a good explanation of your Tape Monitor, or Monitors if you have more than one.

You could also connect the Connect’s Optical or Coax to the receiver's inputs if you are unsatisfied with the RCA connection to the Tape jacks.

You could also move the Connect’s out RCA connection to another one of the receiver's inputs but that gains nothing over staying with the Tape jacks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

How is connecting the Connect to the tape jacks different from any other input on the receiver?

If I turn on my CD player and start to play that as the source, don’t I have to switch my receiver to CD Player to actually hear the music from the player through the receiver? 

I don’t understand where the Connect going into the tape player inputs on the receiver will tell the receiver to play via Sonos whatever source I select? 

Anyway, maybe I’m just tired. I’ll try some different hookups tomorrow. 

Thanks again. 

Your receiver always sends whatever is selected to play to the tape out jacks, in addition to any connected speakers.  In this case, the Sonos would be connected there, instead of a tape deck. This means the CD player gets input into the Sonos ecosystem, and you can tell the Sonos to play that line in on any ‘room’ in your Sonos system. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Okay great. I did not realize that. I’ll hook the Connect to the tape out jacks later today. 

thanks for your input. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Okay, this isn’t working for me. 
if I take the RCA cable and run it from ‘tape out’ on my receiver to ‘line in’ on the Connect and select a streaming service I get no music regardless of the input selected on my receiver. I have selected ‘line in” on the Sonos app. 

am I also running the ‘line out’ on the Connect to something?

Somes receiver have a Tape Monitor button that needs to be activated in order for the output to go to Tape Out.

I’m confused. Why would an output jack from your receiver be accepting an input from your Sonos?  if you’re streaming on the Sonos, there needs to be something connecting from the Sonos line out to to the tape in on the receiver. Or am I misunderstanding?

The correct way to ‘hook up’ a Sonos CONNECT is tape out on the receiver to line in on the CONNECT. Similarly, tape in on the receiver would be connected to Line Out on the CONNECT.

It’s entirely possible we’re talking past each other at this point. Feel free to post a picture of the back of your receiver. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Lol, you’re probably right. 

I’m sure it’s me and I thank you for your willingness to take the time to help me out. 

I originally hooked up the Connect from its ‘line out’ to a random audio input called ‘CD-R’ on the back of my receiver. All I was trying to accomplish at them time was to integrate my main home theater receiver into the Sonos ecosystem. I have 3, Play 1’s, and a Port in addition to this Connect. 

All is well. It worked and I could use Sonos and my steaming services to listen to music through all my Sonos products as well as my primary sound system. 

However, in doing it this way, I took several music sources out of the Sonos ecosystem. For example, I have a multi-disc CD player that I could listen to by changing sources on the receiver, but this was not integrated into the rest of the Sonos system. Also, over the air FM and AM stations. 

This is why I posted this question. I knew there was a way to integrate the CD player into the Sonos system. I just ran “tape out” from the back of my receiver to “line in” on the Connect and now when I select line in on the Sonos app I can listen to music from the CD player. Great!

However, when I did that, I could no longer hear the music from the steaming services through the receiver system. I had to hook up the ‘line out’ of the Connect back to the “CD-R” in on the back of the receiver and select that source. 

Let me try running tape out on the receiver to line in on the Connect and get back to you. I thought I did that and got nothing. 

I’m also attaching the diagram from the manual of the receiver showing the audio hookups. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well, I’ve uploaded a jpeg image multiple times now and still nothing…

I’ll keep trying

Sounds (no pun intended) like you’re on the right track. There should be two pairs of cables between you Sonos and your receiver, one to carry the data from the Sonos to the receiver, the other to carry the data from the receiver (the CD player, radio, what ever you have connected to the receiver) to the Sonos.

Remember, when you’re playing something on the receiver’s speakers, from the receiver, there will be a slight delay between those speakers and the Sonos speakers. If you don’t have speakers connected to the receiver, or you’re playing a stream from the Sonos, you have nothing to worry about. 

Although I’d not be using the radio on the receiver, I’d be using one of the many radio station streams that Sonos allows you to add, such as TuneIn, iHeart Radio, My Radio, and others. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey thanks Bruce. Yes, I have two pairs of cables running from the Connect to the receiver. I think I’ve got it now. 

Okay, I’ve never used the radio services from Sonos. I’ll give them a try. 

Thanks again for all the help. 

All The Best, 

Michael

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Glad to see you got it working.

So many folks just hook the Connect or Port to the CD input or use the TOS or Coax and miss all the rest of the neat stuff it can do if fully connected.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for your help Stanley. Yes, I knew I didn’t have it hooked up right from the beginning but I just got lazy.