Skip to main content

I have disabled Dolby Atmos in Amazon Music Unlimited but it still plays Dolby Atmos when using the Sonos app.

I am not sure if this is an issue with the Sonos app not honoring the Amazon settings or if the integration with Sonos is with the Amazon development team.

Either way, I would like to suggest that Sonos or Amazon exclude Dolby Atmos when it is not enabled in the Amazon music settings.

Thanks,

Wazza

I think as a general principle the integrations of music services into Sonos will not necessarily follow the settings chosen on the music service itself.  

There may be a better way, but one option that might be possible would be to group the soundbar with another speaker and mute the other speaker.  I appreciate that that is a rather unsatisfactory workaround.

The Amazon Music app settings are specific to that device. You can have Amazon Music installed on multiple devices, each with different settings, so there would be no way for Sonos to know which settings to apply.

In addition to @John B’s suggestion where you group a non-Atmos capable speaker, another option is to cast the music from the Amazon Music app, or initiate playback using Alexa. However, those options will play in the lowest quality audio format. Therefore, grouping is the best option to still receive the stream in either HD/UHD, but not Atmos.

Curious, why do you want to disable it?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

As far as I can tell, you can’t cast from Android Amazon app to Sonos, like you can with Spotify.  Maybe using Spotify instead is the solution.

In answer to ControlAV’s question, I find that music in Atmos (via Amazon) is not balanced.  I find that one part of the music dominates the audio output.  In some cases the vocals overpower everything, and others where drums or another instrument is dominant.  And to me, it just doesn’t sound pleasing or balanced.

I appreciate that this is not an Atmos issue per se, and is apparently due to the mixing of the channels (objects) by the audio engineers.  It is not an issue with a movie where the Atmos sound output has a relationship to what you are viewing.  But for me, 90%+ of the music I have heard in Atmos sounds bad.  I wish it didn't.

Cheers

@Wazza9

You can cast from Amazon.  You have to have Amazon Alexa installed, including the Sonos Skill for Alexa, because casting piggy backs some of the tech.  Sonos speakers then appear in the list of devices to which you can cast, in the Amazon app.

As Amazon Music Unlimited’s base quality is HD, and I don’t believe you would hear any difference with UHD, this may be an acceptable solution.

In answer to ControlAV’s question, I find that music in Atmos (via Amazon) is not balanced.  I find that one part of the music dominates the audio output.  In some cases the vocals overpower everything, and others where drums or another instrument is dominant.  And to me, it just doesn’t sound pleasing or balanced.

I appreciate that this is not an Atmos issue per se, and is apparently due to the mixing of the channels (objects) by the audio engineers.  It is not an issue with a movie where the Atmos sound output has a relationship to what you are viewing.  But for me, 90%+ of the music I have heard in Atmos sounds bad.  I wish it didn't.

Cheers

One thing to potentially adjust when playing Dolby Atmos music is the Height Audio setting.

For TV viewing, I have the height set high, whereas for Dolby Atmos music this can certainly lead to some aggressive bursts of volume. Reducing the height audio balances it all out again. 

One thing to potentially adjust when playing Dolby Atmos music is the Height Audio setting.

For TV viewing, I have the height set high, whereas for Dolby Atmos music this can certainly lead to some aggressive bursts of volume. Reducing the height audio balances it all out again. 

Great suggestion.  Thank you.  I will give it a try for a couple of days and update the discussion with the outcome.

Cheers