Skip to main content

It turns out that I cannot update anymore my library music index because the operative system (Android) on my phone is too old, though I did run an update not such a long time ago! This is very annoying and irritating indeed. Am I supposed to buy a new phone every time Sonos stops supporting a certain version of Android? Is this some kind of planned obsolescence in agreement with Apple, Samsung and co to force customers to buy a new phone? I’m wondering more and more. If Sonos folks want to buy me a new phone they are welcome! I just feel like selling all my Sonos stuff and going back to my old good CD and LP players.

The thing that I find galling about this is that Sonos have deliberately chosen to modify the app to cripple it in this way, when (as has been pointed out in other threads on this subject) other app developers don’t seem to have trouble keeping their apps working as far back as Android 5 - some even earlier. The suggestion that you can’t make an app secure with older versions of Android is demonstrably wrong, because there are numerous online banking apps that work absolutely fine with Android 5.

The simple fact is that Sonos simply don’t want to spend money on the small extra number of development staff needed to keep their apps working with older versions of Android.

It’s an understandable position to take if you’re a company that only cares about profit, and not the environmental waste that results from forcing us to throw away otherwise good mobile phones.

One really can't say that Sonos stuff is cheap. On the contrary, quite expensive. For this amount of money you would expect proper customer support.

Indeed, one hears today a lot of corporate nonsense regarding a so called environmental conscience, whereas most companies' business model is not compatible with an ecological approach.

I've heard that in the EU regulators are looking closer to the planned obsolescence problem which is a real plague in our modern society. Hopefully companies like Sonos will get fined for such misconduct.

I was considering extending my Sonos network at home but after this I will reconsider that.

Hi @ManuMac, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

I can certainly understand the frustration - we try to keep all devices and operating systems working with Sonos as long as possible and provide advanced notice if things should change, however these older operating systems are no longer supported by Android/Apple, making continued support difficult.

As a workaround, if you have a computer or another, more up to date mobile device, you should be able to update your Music Library from those - you can also set the Music Library index to update automatically, which will remove any reliance on your operating system, as the speakers themselves will check for updates to the Music Library on a regular basis :)

Am I supposed to buy a new phone every time Sonos stops supporting a certain version of Android? 

Yes… Your best option is to choose a new phone with the most up to date OS, which should be supported for longer.

I find it particularly annoying as they deliberately removed maintenance functionality from the desktop versions, meaning that we are all now dependant on phones/tablets. The good news is that you can still use a desktop version to update your music library - if you use a desktop/laptop, of course.

I can certainly understand the frustration - we try to keep all devices and operating systems working with Sonos as long as possible and provide advanced notice if things should change, however these older operating systems are no longer supported by Android/Apple, making continued support difficult.

Well, considering the price of Sonos equipment I would expect Sonos taking the fight to Apple and Google just for customers' sake.

Besides, most applications I have on my phone still work perfectly well with great functionalities.

I ended up asking a neighbor to come around with his phone, connect to my network, download the app and set my library index to update automatically for me. Very hightech for such an expensive piece of equipment and so embarrassing!