Answered

Can I view my Music Library offline?

• 29 December 2021
  • 4 replies

I’ve ripped most of my old CDs and uploaded the files to a NAS so I can play them through the Music Library on Sonos. It would be great if I could view (not play, just view) my collection on my phone when I’m away from home, for the “do I already own this?” moments in a music store, or the “I have a great piece by [some group], but I can’t remember the name” moments with friends. Has anyone come up with an easy way to view their music library offline? (I know there are third-party apps, but if I don’t have duplicate my effort with 1000+ CDs, I’d rather not!)

Thanks for any ideas!

icon

Best answer by jgatie 29 December 2021, 01:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If your NAS has remote access, there apps that allow you to browse remotely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

From your NAS command line you can tell it to create a list of your music.

This works for me, my music is broken into directories by A, B, C, then the Artist and finally each album in their own directory.

So ls -x -1 ?/* translates to ls = list command, x = directories only, 1 = one per line.

The ? matches the a-b-c directories, the * matches the Artist directories, letting the albums to follow.

You can redirect that to a file by adding “> your-filename” to give you:

ls -x -1 ?/* > your-filename

Example snippet:

pi@pi-3b-2:/mnt/ssd-music/Current $ ls -x -1 ?/*
A/Abba:
'Greatest Hits Vol. 2'

'A/Acker Bilk':
'In A Mellow Mood'
'The Best Of'

'A/Air Supply':
'Greatest Hits'
'Love And Other Bruises'

A/Alabama:
'Alabama Christmas'
'Alabama Christmas II'
'Alabama Live'

Directories look like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I use an app called Qfile for my QNAP NAS. It is provided by QNAP itself.

hi @M. Caslin the only convenient way I know of would be to use Plex on your NAS - I am using the Apple Music app (formerly iTunes) to manage my music library and can export the library in xml format and playlists in different formats, including txt