BBC Radio streams ending?

• 12 January 2023
  • 6 replies

I am based in Ireland and I usually use my Sonos to listen to BBC 6 Music.

Recently the stream is intermittantly interrupted with a message saying that in mid-2023, I will no longer be able to stream BBC via Sonos. It says to contact the manufacturers of my smart speaker for more information.

It’s not clear if the issue it with BBC, Sonos/Sonos Radio or TuneIn (I’m aware there are other BBC/TuneIn issues).

Do we know if BBC have any plans to make BBC Sounds available on Sonos outside of the UK?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The BBC currently only make BBC Sounds available within the UK, please see Help fixing problems with BBC Sounds on your Sonos device | BBC Sounds

An option is to connect via a VPN and set your country as UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The BBC currently only make BBC Sounds available within the UK, please see Help fixing problems with BBC Sounds on your Sonos device | BBC Sounds

An option is to connect via a VPN and set your country as UK.

You don’t need a VPN. Just switch your Sonos Account Country to UK, wait a bit, add the service to your Sonos, then switch your country back.

How long does one have to wait? I switched to UK an hour ago, but still can’t find BBC in the Add Service List.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In the Sonos App goto Settings/System/System Updates and hit Check for Updates. This can be necessary to force a refresh of the service list.

How long does one have to wait? I switched to UK an hour ago, but still can’t find BBC in the Add Service List.

it comes through tunein

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

it comes through tunein

Ignore this.  BBC Sounds is a separate service. Wait time varies.