Skip to main content

The Move has Auto TruPlay, which is great for us Android peasants. I recently got an Arc with some Ones and a Sub, and even borrowed an iPod Touch to try to TruPlay that setup, but the iPod isn't supported yet 😞 Wah wah.

My question is... if the Arc and One and Beam etc all have microphones, why can't they be Auto TruPlay themselves like the Move, or like a bunch of other smart home speakers? The excuse for Android devices is that there is no common microphone spec between them, but surely Sonos knows their own devices' microphones...? 

My guess is that’s on a list somewhere to work on when there are cycles to do so. But, then again, TruePlay for a single speaker surely isn’t as complex as for potentially a 5.1 setup, or even stereo. And it may be why one of the key things for the iOS version is moving around the room, not just staying in one location like the Sonos microphone is. So, I could see it for a single speaker more easily than several speakers. 

Ah, thanks for that info... I didn't realize that the ios version had you move around the room. I guess, as an android user, I'll just never be able to hear it with trueplay then. Too bad! 

Ah, thanks for that info... I didn't realize that the ios version had you move around the room. I guess, as an android user, I'll just never be able to hear it with trueplay then. Too bad! 

Get a friend to come trying with an iPhone 11 or lower. Load the Sonos app and perform true play. Take 5 min max. 

I wouldn’t feel too bad. I use it in some rooms, and it helps a bit. I’ve used it in other rooms, and it makes zero difference, which makes me thing my speakers are appropriately placed for the room. I end up turning it off for those rooms. 

You could always have a friend over for dinner (when this pesky pandemic ends) who has an iOS device, and just install the controller on that device and run it for your system. Once it’s been run, you can toggle it on or off in your Android device, and it would only need to be changed when you moved the speakers, or changed to furniture in the room significantly. 

Frankly, in my humble opinion, it’s a neat marketing feature, but there is only so much change that can be done with a speaker, and it matches what some Sonos engineer thinks is ‘correct’. For instance, even after running it, I boost my bass levels a notch or two, to match my own personal preferences.

It just isn’t an end all, killer feature, it’s more of a ‘oh, that’s neat’ kind of thing. 

But then, I have it, and I completely get the ‘forbidden fruit’ appeal ;)

Get a friend to come trying with an iPhone 11 or lower. Load the Sonos app and perform true play. Take 5 min max. 

I don't know any friends with an iPhone, and nobody would want to come during covid anyway. It's weird that it's an iOS only feature 😞 If I spent that kind of money on Apple products, there'd be none left for Sonos! 

It just isn’t an end all, killer feature, it’s more of a ‘oh, that’s neat’ kind of thing. 

Ah, good to know! The Arc to me sounds harsh compared to the Move, with uncomfortably sharp treble and hissing "s"es during dialogue. But as a non audiophile with no background in fancy speakers and no equipment to quantify any of it, I can't tell if it's just my imagination, having been trained on a lifetime of crappy sound. I was hoping TruPlay might prove one way or the other if I was just imagining it.

I'll try to abduct some an Apple user after the pandemic 🙂 I'm the meantime, still enjoying the setup plenty! 

There are quite a few threads that speculate why iOS only, including many with posts from me.

The consensus is that it boils down to the fact that Apple uses very specific hardware for their microphones, which can be mapped in their acoustical response.

The various makers of Android devices use different microphones, sometimes even within a single line of phones. Keeping track of the acoustical properties of all of the various microphones in use would be challenging, even if the type was exposed in the OS for Sonos to ‘know’ which one was installed. A reflection, I suppose, of Apple making their own phones, but multiple companies making Android phones.