Skip to main content

Ok everyone who’s going first?🤣 

Let us know how if it’s safe to update. 
ETA I updated. The app didn’t make me sign in or search for my speakers on first start so that’s a win. 

80.01.08 (Android)
80.01.30 (iOS)

Release date: 5/29/2024

In this update:

• Fixed issues encountered when adding a product that is running older software.

• Fixed an issue where VoiceOver on iOS could not toggle switches in settings.

App requirements

• Android 8.0 or later
  • iOS 16 or later
  • iPadOS 16 or later
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Wow! 2 steps for Sonos users, 2 giant leaps for sonoskind.  I'll give it a miss. 

Not a great deal of change for my setup (not a particularly significant update...), and I’ve been through most of the menus since updating.

The mention of ‘issues encountered when adding a product’ might allow some people’s hardware to get back online for those struggling to connect.

One thing: the app does feel faster to load thumbnails? My imagination or real?

I have the Android update and I think that it may be a little more responsive.

I still get the system not found message but it disappears more quickly than before.

The login as system user message appeared a few times after I first updated.

I was hoping for more but here’s hoping that everyone’s experience is a bit better with the update.

I still get the system not found message but it disappears more quickly than before.

I was hoping for more but here’s hoping that everyone’s experience is a bit better with the update.

I can’t believe they only list 2 bugs fixed🤦. Definitely was hoping for more as well.

My Music Library link keeps disappearing like all the other versions and I still don’t have alarms in the app. Oh well maybe next update 🤣

@Bumper 

You don’t have Alarms under Settings / Manage / Alarms?

I can’t believe they only list 2 bugs fixed🤦. Definitely was hoping for more as well.

My Music Library link keeps disappearing like all the other versions and I still don’t have alarms in the app. Oh well maybe next update 🤣

I had expected that the Library issues and the adding new devices would be top of the list for this update. I make very little use of the library as it only has tracks for guitar tutorials that I own but it has seemed OK for me.

I expect this to be a long, and sometimes painful, journey for the Sonos developers as well as the users.

@Bumper

You don’t have Alarms under Settings / Manage / Alarms?

No they inexplicably are not there. There’s been some other people with the same issue so I’m guessing a bug of some sort. Fully updated app and firmware. 

Seems marginally faster to load graphics, etc.

Is the shadow of Ikea behind this? 

Oooh!  I've got alarms... Don't ever use them but they're there.  Result! 

it’ still bunk

Oooh!  I've got alarms... Don't ever use them but they're there.  Result! 

Yeah this isn’t some massive inconvenience for me 🤣 it more a symptom that  this app is still buggy AF. 

Nothing useful.

the impossibility to Connect some system is still present

And impossible to Connect also via Ethernet

in alarm setting a radio station is possible only adding  it in Sonos favourite

Pausini a service expect 3 second delay

Local library songs list limited to first 100

another week waiting for nothing

My wife's iPhone updated to app version 80.01.30. I've been able to side-load and keep 16.1 on my Android devices. We use the sleep timer nightly, so we're trying to not lose 16.1 app functionality. 

Now, with 80.1.30, the iPhone app says it needs to update our system as soon as we launch the app. It won't let us past that screen.

Does anyone here know if we update the system from the iPhone app, will it cause our Androids with app version 16.1 to no longer work with the system?

Our One SL's and Arc are still on version 16.2.

There should be no interaction between the app's.  But, do not update the firmware on the devices because that will affect both apps behaviour. 

There should be no interaction between the app's.  But, do not update the firmware on the devices because that will affect both apps behaviour. 

Good advice. Turn off firmware updates ASAP. Also if your wife’s phone updates the Sonos app, it may error out/complain that the firmware needs updating so best turn off updates on that. 

If there's no subsequent hardware update required (from 16.2) after updating the app to 80.01.30, I'm holding off as long as possible.

I’m committed to updating as they release them. It can’t get worse than it already is …. Right? 😬

I have updated, it’s not much of an improvement, still can’t link my music library under their app. There is a workaround. Sonos should have never released a glitchy beta version of their app. Swing and a miss on Sonos part. 

The primary thing I'm trying to figure out is what exactly is the version 80.01.30 iPhone app wanting to update? The app screen doesn't say. Just that "An update is required for your Sonos products to work properly."

Of course, I have tapped around trying to bypass it and even tried the "Submit diagnostics" option. Nothing that I've found will let me get past that Software update screen and use the app.

Note that I do have auto updates disabled in system settings (did this from the v.16.1 Android app a couple weeks ago). 

I know our Roam is on 16.1, and it hasn't worked with the rest of the system since this whole new app debacle- it won't participate in the system because it needs an update. I can't update it from my v.16.1 Android app because the app says it needs to update before it'll update the Roam. When my wife's iPhone was on previous versions of 80.xx.xx, it wouldn't update the Roam either- it wouldn't even connect to the Roam at all. I tried updating one of my Android devices to 80.01.08 to see if it would be able to update the Roam, but I couldn't find where to update just that speaker and only that speaker like we could do in app version 16.1. The Android app did have a banner prompting a "system update" but I was very unwilling to try that since, like the iPhone app, it didn't define what would be updated if I tapped the button. 

I ended up uninstalling 80.01.08 and side-loading 16.1 again to make the world slightly better again. 

But per my post above, my wife's iPhone app (v.80.01.30) is still unusable because it won't let her past the system update required screen when she launches the app. 

Without any detailed information, is there any way to know what the app is actually trying to update? Because, without going forward with that update, my wife's iPhone can no longer control our system. It has basically joined the Rome at this point in not being functional with our system. Well, at least the Roam can still be a very expensive bluetooth-only speaker! 🙄

*Edit: I also had previously tried to update the Roam via the Windows app. I couldn't find anywhere in that interface to perform updates.

Updated but now my app cannot find my speaker despite the speaker is playing music. No network issue or anything else. App just “refuse” to connect to my speaker. I have a Sonos 1 gen 2.

*Edit: I also had previously tried to update the Roam via the Windows app. I couldn't find anywhere in that interface to perform updates.

The primary thing I'm trying to figure out is what exactly is the version 80.01.30 iPhone app wanting to update? The app screen doesn't say. Just that "An update is required for your Sonos products to work properly."

Of course, I have tapped around trying to bypass it and even tried the "Submit diagnostics" option. Nothing that I've found will let me get past that Software update screen and use the app.

Note that I do have auto updates disabled in system settings (did this from the v.16.1 Android app a couple weeks ago). 

I know our Roam is on 16.1, and it hasn't worked with the rest of the system since this whole new app debacle- it won't participate in the system because it needs an update. I can't update it from my v.16.1 Android app because the app says it needs to update before it'll update the Roam. When my wife's iPhone was on previous versions of 80.xx.xx, it wouldn't update the Roam either- it wouldn't even connect to the Roam at all. I tried updating one of my Android devices to 80.01.08 to see if it would be able to update the Roam, but I couldn't find where to update just that speaker and only that speaker like we could do in app version 16.1. The Android app did have a banner prompting a "system update" but I was very unwilling to try that since, like the iPhone app, it didn't define what would be updated if I tapped the button. 

I ended up uninstalling 80.01.08 and side-loading 16.1 again to make the world slightly better again. 

But per my post above, my wife's iPhone app (v.80.01.30) is still unusable because it won't let her past the system update required screen when she launches the app. 

Without any detailed information, is there any way to know what the app is actually trying to update? Because, without going forward with that update, my wife's iPhone can no longer control our system. It has basically joined the Rome at this point in not being functional with our system. Well, at least the Roam can still be a very expensive bluetooth-only speaker! 🙄

That update software screen is actually an update the firmware message.  Doing so, may or may not cause your Roam to work better - who knows?!  What it will do is knock out any SMBv1 protocols (if you have music library on older NAS devices, then the library will disappear from your system).  No idea what else the update provides. 

There are 2 distinct UPDATE processes with Sonos. 

1. There are updates to the software controller app - what appears on your phone

2. There are firmware updates - these alter how each device behaves. Each individual device downloads and installs the firmware.

The Sonos system works by integrating the 2 levels. Well, that's the theory. 

As long as this terrible disappointment of an app lets me play music at all I won’t dare upgrade until I’ve read all available experiences with the next update. 

As long as this terrible disappointment of an app lets me play music at all I won’t dare upgrade until I’ve read all available experiences with the next update. 

Sonos to its user base: