Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Ever since we took the plunge for S2 (including upgrading/purchasing 6 new Sonos unit for S2 compatibility) it’s been a real mess (system stability and WiFi issues)! 

The iOS version of the S2 app is very slow to load, lags almost always, and has a terrible screen refresh rate compared to ANY iOS app we have in the household.   Now 20-40 seconds might not seem like long for an iPhone/Pad app to load/refresh, but if you’re trying to get some quick control over the volume or switching songs this is a STUPID amount of time! 

S1 was almost instant across all platforms and apps.  While I realize Apple can take some blame for issues with iOS apps, why is S2 slow on PC and Amazon Fire (Android) devices as well?  

I’m guessing I’m not the only one, but Sonos sure seem slow to address this no matter how many times I’ve reported it to support. 

Anyone else think this degrades the Sonos experience beyond the obvious annoyances (especially compared to the hundred or so other apps we use with NO lagging)? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 January 2021, 00:23

View original

163 replies

The DNS server is usually set in the routers configuration pages (assuming your ISP ‘BT’ allow you to change the server) you could try the usual public DNS servers such as Google (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1) to name, but four, to try - However it’s unusual, if the networks are many hundreds of miles apart.

I will just add that the speed of my internet connection is more than 10X the download speed to what you’re using, so that maybe a factor here too, perhaps?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi thanks once more - the 73 Mb/s is a very solid download speed for most households in UK - must don’t yet have fibre to property - and it,or lower, has for many years been more than adequate for Sonos applications.   The key thing is that the fault is being experienced in four different regions of Uk with different routers whereas previously there was not an issue with the same set up.  The only variables before and after appear to be iOS and Sonos software updates 

Hi thanks once more - the 73 Mb/s is a very solid download speed for most households in UK - must don’t yet have fibre to property - and it,or lower, has for many years been more than adequate for Sonos applications.   The key thing is that the fault is being experienced in four different regions of Uk with different routers whereas previously there was not an issue with the same set up.  The only variables before and after appear to be iOS and Sonos software updates 

Whilst I’m also based in the UK and both an Apple iOS and an S2 Sonos system user, I don’t personally use BT as my ISP. So I can only suggest you perhaps go onto submit a Sonos diagnostic report from each (or some) of your Sonos systems, post search-return(s), and then speak direct with Sonos Support Staff about your matter.

The online link to contact Sonos Staff is HERE.

I’ve not (so far) seen others mention anything about the speed of the App search-results either, at least not in this user-community, but maybe others here will go onto chime in, that’s if they are experiencing similar issues.

The only other matters I can think of, are related to the following summary list, just in case you want to go onto explore those matters yourself too …

• QoS or Airtime Fairness operating on the BT router
  • VPN and/or security based software running on the mobile device
  • Private WiFi Address (MAC Spoofing) enabled in the iOS Network connection properties
  • WiFi calling enabled on the iOS device

Admittedly 20+ seconds does seem rather a long time to return a search-result and I would have expected to see more reports about that sort of issue, particularly as both the iOS 16.2 release was mid-December and the S2 App update was released on December 6th, but maybe others here will go onto respond to this thread.

Personally I’m not seeing a problem at this moment in time, but as mentioned, my download speeds are much higher than the speed you mentioned, albeit my iPhone XR is older than your controller devices. 

Anyhow have a good New Year and I sincerely hope you get to find the answer to your search issue.

As a throw away comment, I do have to wonder if perhaps BT pushed out some sort of update to their routers that might be contributing to this. 

I’m a US user, and not seeing this altered behavior either. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thank you…that seems like a possibility since all properties use the same BT Hub - I’ll see if there’s any discussion on BT community 

Unfortunately, based on many years of frequenting this forum, I’ve noticed a rather large amount of issues with BT’s hardware. If I ever move to the UK, I’ll be certain not to choose them as my ISP. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

In fairness to BT, they do have a large market share so not u surprisingly will be the subject of a fair number of issues.  Not sure alternative providers are any better or worse. 

I don’t use an ISP provided router (other than as a modem), as you usually only get what don’t pay for with those ‘free’ devices anyway.😂

...and whilst BT routers are regularly complained about online, often in regards to SSDP multicasting ‘device discovery’ across it’s wired/wireless segments, with some firmware updates. I think we can be safe in the knowledge anyway here, that each Sonos system is running on SonosNet using a Boost as its (likely) root-bridge. Although I guess DNS/QoS issues etc; have not (yet) been ruled out.

I’m thinking it would be interesting to try an Android controller device with each Sonos system, as it might be something on the iOS devices, like ‘Private WiFi Address’ or even the recent Home(Kit) App upgrade, that Apple ’quickly’ withdrew because of it causing problems with various smart-home products, including their own HomePod speakers.

Next step might be to borrow an Android device to see if the Sonos App search provides much faster results. Then perhaps hone-in further on the Apple controller devices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In fairness to BT, they do have a large market share so not u surprisingly will be the subject of a fair number of issues.  Not sure alternative providers are any better or worse. 

Can you just put these iffy BT devices in Bridge mode and use real router? This is what I do in the US with my XFinity-supplied modem.

I’ve always done the same, both with an AT&T connection, now with a Spectrum device. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thank you once more.  I’ll try with an Android controller over the holiday period when we have visitors.  Unfortunately we are an Apple eco system household(s).   Given I have no issues when using my MAC controller (Sierra) seems to point to an iOS issue (used in various forms by other controllers).

I hear what people say about BT (and other ISP) routers being a potential issue but I’ve discounted these for the time being since the router models are common in every household and functioned perfectly until a month or so ago.

(The other strange aspect is that the search results return those for Apple Music and Hype Machine almost instantaneously but not for my principle subscription service of Spotify. 

Ken’s earlier post about checking ‘Private WiFi Address’ is probably a good one.

As stated, I’ve not had this experience, and I’m also 90% Apple, with two iPads, an iPhone, and two Macs in use. For S2. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Further piece of information - each household uses voice enabled speakers on Sonosnet Boost setup.  The same routers are also connected to Philips Hue via Hue Bridges wired to the routers.  Voice commands for music and lighting work perfectly with no real delay.   The lag appears to be confined to when  using iOS devices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

..,and the issue seems the same whether using S1 (one household with one legacy Play 5) or S2 (three other households).

I’ve also a Hue system, and run a wired network. Voice commands and iOS devices are working without any delay. Have you tried to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem on at least one of these systems, and called Sonos Support to discuss it? It’s entirely possible that they might see something in the details of the diagnostic that those of us who don’t work for Sonos can’t see. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just eliminate potential cause being Private Wifi address - toggled on / off /on - no difference to performance in either setting 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Submitted diagnostic 90385481

Now you just need to call Sonos support, and give them that diagnostic number. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Now in a different property using S2 this time.  Same issue even though totally different Sonos household and different router.   Searching within S2 app just hangs bit can play immediately if search from within Spotify app.  Matters not if I use my iPhone which has travelled from one home to this or an in unit iPad controller which is only used here 

Since the controller is talking to the app running on the speakers, unless there’s an issue with the controller device talking to the router, it shouldn’t make any difference which controller you’re using.

I’d suspect a duplicate IP address issue at first blush, although DNS issues can’t be ruled out, there are a lot of things involved with network events such as a search.  This is why a diagnostic submitted within 10 minutes, followed by a call to Sonos, who has the ability to read them, is helpful. We peons on this forum don’t have access to that hard data. 

Now in a different property using S2 this time.  Same issue even though totally different Sonos household and different router.   Searching within S2 app just hangs bit can play immediately if search from within Spotify app.  Matters not if I use my iPhone which has travelled from one home to this or an in unit iPad controller which is only used here 

No one else seems to be complaining about this, so maybe speak to either Spotify Support, or Sonos Support. It will be the Spotify servers that are returning the results, I presume.

I only use their Spotify Free service here and that gives an almost instant return. Amazon Music and Deezer, which I subscribe to, seem almost instant aswell. 

Can you perhaps give one, or two, search terms, Artist/Album etc. that you are searching for and I will happily check again, but ideally you will still need to speak to the Support Staff - I would expect to see more complaining about this issue, if it was a wide-spread issue.

I just tried ‘The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway’ and it was less than a second for Spotify (and other services) to show that Album from Genesis in the results list.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

If I search from the Spotify app using the same iPhone or via voice pretty much instant play.   The issue re app occurs with both S2 and S1 with discreet Sonosnet systems and discreet internet accounts / routers .

reached out to Sonos help and submitted a new diagnostic from today’s house.  Travelling to the other two early next week so picking up from there and submitting further diagnostics.  I’ve had Sonos since 2010 and no issues previously.  Also yesterday used old redundancy iPhone 6 running older iOS software and still same issue.  Very strange that this happens in four distinct locations even when using controller devices which are unique to those locations 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just re-read your reply - it’s not confined to slow Spotify searches -Qobuz  and BBC sounds eyc also slow to return results 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Just founded something interesting - I have always searched using the magnifying glass symbol which until recently returned results quickly - this searches across multiple streaming services with which I have an account - this is now taking much longer than previously.  However if I use the browse function and select a Spotify account the results are instantaneous- therefore for some reason it’s the functionality of the search function across several streaming services which is now very slow compared with pretty much instant previously.