Skip to main content
I upgraded the Sonos app on one of my phones to 9.0. Now I find that I have to have a Sonos "user account" registered before I'm allowed to use the app with my Sonos HT system. My controller app no longer gives me the ability to control my system.

Looking through the FAQ I find the question "Why is it mandatory to create a Sonos account and register my system?" The answer given is "We believe creating a password-protected, verified, account is a reasonable precaution to take and decided to make it a requirement for all Sonos customers."

"Its mandatory because we believe it should be done" is not a reason. Why would I need a password protected account to use something that was perfectly useable without it? What am I being protected from by all this nonsense?

Fortunately my Mac app is still working but its a pain to use and not very convenient when all I want to do is turn speech enhancement on or off during a movie. I can't carry my computer around the house with me and use it to play music like I could with the phone.

I don't want an account - my system has worked nearly perfectly since I first bought it without ever signing up for an account - and I'd like to get my earlier app installed again. Is there a way to do this? Barring that, is there a way to control this system with outside software so I don't need to rely on this app?
Probably not what you want to hear but Sonos has made it mandatory (for actual reasons not just cause they want to ) so you may as well sign up for the account.
So many other topics here on the same subject, most with better answers than I can supply. Try the forum search or a search engine restricted to the forum's site.
Probably not what you want to hear but Sonos has made it mandatory (for actual reasons not just cause they want to ) so you may as well sign up for the account.

And yet their actual reasons aren't listed. I see no benefit at all to having an account, but I can see a couple of reasons why they might want me to have one and I don't agree with either of them. I'm not going to get into conjecture here.
So many other topics here on the same subject, most with better answers than I can supply. Try the forum search or a search engine restricted to the forum's site.

I'm not a rookie - the first thing I did was search for an answer but the terms I used led me only to threads about how to get a user account, not how to avoid one or restore the previous software.

Perhaps I should just email Sonos and inform them that their new software broke some pre-existing functionality.
This thread might be helpful to you.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/why-the-account-setup-6809450/index1.html

I imagine emailing Sonos will get you the same answer as the Sonos staff member provided in the above thread. And there are likely threads with better discussions out there, but this is the first 'good' one I found.

I have not seen of any way you can operate Sonos without having an account, although you clearly don't have to log in every time you use Sonos. I have seen a URL where you go and get previous versions of Sonos, but I think it's going to be difficult to find. And of course, older versions are not supported.
This thread might be helpful to you.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/why-the-account-setup-6809450/index1.html

I imagine emailing Sonos will get you the same answer as the Sonos staff member provided in the above thread. And there are likely threads with better discussions out there, but this is the first 'good' one I found.

I have not seen of any way you can operate Sonos without having an account, although you clearly don't have to log in every time you use Sonos. I have seen a URL where you go and get previous versions of Sonos, but I think it's going to be difficult to find. And of course, older versions are not supported.

Thanks very much for the link, I'll go check that out right now. I just finished reading all 7 pages of the v9.0 announcement thread and almost the entire thing was focused on AirPlay 2 problems. Nothing about account linking. The good news for me is that the backlash against the AirPlay 2 problems has been severe enough that we may see a software downgrade made available. Probably not, but I can hope.

As far as operating this system without an account, I've been doing it since day one of ownership. I had to do some kind of online linkup, registering the product with the central server for updates, but it never required adding an email like this last update is now asking for. .

I suppose I could set up a fake email address for this just to keep going, but I shouldn't have to. Currently, the system works as it always has - zero problems - but if my ideas about why they pushed for mandatory user accounts is correct, then you can expect a "silver bullet" is going to get pushed out at some point to all registered devices and it will (temporarily) brick whichever ones don't have an account linked to them. If that happens, its HEOS time... or maybe I'll just go back to wires and passive speakers. The Sonos HT has given me great service, though its sadly lacking in modern audio protocols. I had hoped to use it until it crumbled into dust.
You'll see this in the thread, but "you have always been required to have an email account". I honestly have had my Sonos speakers for so long that I can neither confirm or deny that claim.
You'll see this in the thread, but "you have always been required to have an email account". I honestly have had my Sonos speakers for so long that I can neither confirm or deny that claim.

I saw that too. However, I had the account here long before I owned any Sonos products. I was bewitched by a Play:1 that an acquaintance had and came to the old version of this forum to ask questions about home theater possibilities with my previous A/V setup. I just wanted to add two Sonos speakers to my wired 3.1 and found out it was impossible, or close to it. I eventually came across a phenomenal deal on the full HT and took it, and I've been glad every since. Except for when I want to watch a physical DVD... :8

I read that my user account for this forum is also a "Sonos User Account" - nice trick there, Sonos! This confirms one of my long-held beliefs about not registering for manufacturer support forums. But, since the account existed before my HT purchase, there aren't any players associated with it. The players are registered for activation, but not linked to my email.

I'm wondering if the new app and/or account requirement are part of the reasons that I'm seeing so many Sonos devices up for sale on CL now. I was really surprised to find a long list of Playbases for sale, along with the recent Sonos 5v2 and Sonos:One - all which are new enough to require linked accounts, whereas the older stuff doesn't show up much.
You have always had to register an e-mail address to setup Sonos, so you have always had an account. It may not be the same account as here (you can view it on the app: From the More tab, tap Settings > Account Settings), but there is an account registered. Both new and older Sonos devices have this requirement.

The new step is to strengthen the authentication process to protect against outside invaders getting in through the Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer pathways which have been opened up for direct control. It is also to comply with changing privacy laws around the globe.

I can almost guarantee Denon will have the same requirement (with probably not as much transparency as Sonos' Privacy Policy has).
Hi Proton, I posted this in a different thread, but I think it'll help with your questions too.

Sonos players have always required a registration step as part of the setup process. Anonymous email accounts or even fake ones have worked previously because the field just needed to be filled in with something that looked like an email, but that step did always exist in order to get music services and system updates. The change recently is that we've added a step requiring systems to be linked with an email verified, password protected account. For systems that have been around for a while that were registered with the old, email-only registration, it just means linking your system with a password and verifying the email. This protects your Sonos account, data, and system as a precautionary measure.

We first implemented this account linking to facilitate seamless integration with cloud services like Amazon Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer. A Sonos account gives you complete access to the full Sonos experience and another layer of protection for your system. Since then, we made it mandatory for all systems.

If you have any questions about privacy I'd encourage you to take a look at our privacy policy as it is very thorough. We're clear about what data is collected, and how to opt out of what isn't necessary for functionality. If you still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call.
You have always had to register an e-mail address to setup Sonos, so you have always had an account. It may not be the same account as here (you can view it on the app: From the More tab, tap Settings > Account Settings), but there is an account registered. Both new and older Sonos devices have this requirement.

Nope. No account setup with my Sonos HT system. Just registration. The app asked me to set up an account, but it allowed me to defer. From time to time it reminded me. It would drop me in the account linking screen but I was always able to get out of it. In any case, if there was an email associated with the system, why then is the app now requiring me to set up a user account? And why is there no equipment registered to this account?

The new step is to strengthen the authentication process to protect against outside invaders getting in through the Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer pathways which have been opened up for direct control. It is also to comply with changing privacy laws around the globe.

I will never use those services. I will never allow any voice activated systems in my house. Wouldn't it be better to structure the app to recognize that those services aren't being used, and therefore no need to enroll an email account? And I fail to see how requiring to disclose information that could potentially become compromised in any way helps my privacy. Better if you didn't have the info to being with.

I can almost guarantee Denon will have the same requirement (with probably not as much transparency as Sonos' Privacy Policy has).

Then I get to go back to wired audio and better sounding (non-class D) circuitry, or wait until another company comes out with better gear that doesn't treat the customer like a data farm. I really like my Sonos gear, but I won't think twice about getting rid of it if this email requirement goes any further. Sell it, pitch it in the trash, whatever.
Hi Proton, I posted this in a different thread, but I think it'll help with your questions too.

Sonos players have always required a registration step as part of the setup process. Anonymous email accounts or even fake ones have worked previously because the field just needed to be filled in with something that looked like an email, but that step did always exist in order to get music services and system updates. The change recently is that we've added a step requiring systems to be linked with an email verified, password protected account. For systems that have been around for a while that were registered with the old, email-only registration, it just means linking your system with a password and verifying the email. This protects your Sonos account, data, and system as a precautionary measure.

I did register the players, but never associated them with an email. it asked, I deferred. The best way to protect data is to not offer it up in the first place. My system is behind a firewall, no need for you folks to have any data at all that identifies me.

We first implemented this account linking to facilitate seamless integration with cloud services like Amazon Alexa, Spotify, and Deezer. A Sonos account gives you complete access to the full Sonos experience and another layer of protection for your system. Since then, we made it mandatory for all systems.

What about for folks who value their privacy and don't use streaming services?

The "full Sonos experience" for me is to turn on my computer and play my local music through the Sonos Home Theater. Or to play a movie on my Apple TV and have the sound come through the Sonos system. Or pick up my phone when I'm in another room and dial up an album off my server. Thats it. I didn't even use the streaming radio built in to the app, never mind Spotter or Deezus or whatever. So now because I value my privacy and refuse to associate an email account with the new app, that phone is useless.

If you have any questions about privacy I'd encourage you to take a look at our privacy policy as it is very thorough. We're clear about what data is collected, and how to opt out of what isn't necessary for functionality. If you still have any questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call.

Not bloody likely. Then you'd have my phone number associated with my email.

Interesting note: I had severe problems with setup on my components originally, and had some very lengthy back and forth with amazingly helpful engineers. Not once did anyone default to "give us a call". But for a discussion over the privacy policy you'd be happy to have me call? Pretty clever.

Ryan, you need to give people the option to "opt out" of this data collection. Either give us back 8.5 or do a point release of 9,0 that gives control back to people who don't want to use streaming services.
During the original registration process, a Sonos user account was created with the email you were asked for and the household would be linked to that email. It's always been part of the registration process, but that email didn't need to be legitimate or confirmed in any way. There also wasn't a step where you put in a password for this, or where you had to verify the email, but it was part of the registration flow.

When we started adding account linking to confirm registration it wasn't required unless you were using a service that required cloud access, like Alexa control, and if it came up you could dismiss it. The new changes are a precautionary measure for our customers, which is why we determined it'd be best for everyone to make it mandatory for continued updates. The privacy policy above does through how to opt out of data collection, and what is required to keep the system running.

I understand your concerns about privacy and only recommend a call because that's the quickest way to answer your questions, and it's sometimes easier to explain things over the phone.
During the original registration process, a Sonos user account was created with the email you were asked for and the household would be linked to that email.

Thats not creepy at all. Just like joining a support forum actually entails creating a user account, which has never been disclosed as far as I know.

It's always been part of the registration process, but that email didn't need to be legitimate or confirmed in any way. There also wasn't a step where you put in a password for this, or where you had to verify the email, but it was part of the registration flow.

I really don't recall adding an email address at any point in the registration process. I do recall the app asking me to set up an account, and me closing that dialog several times over the years without setting one up. Why would it ask that if registration required an email address?

When we started adding account linking to confirm registration it wasn't required unless you were using a service that required cloud access, like Alexa control, and if it came up you could dismiss it. The new changes are a precautionary measure for our customers, which is why we determined it'd be best for everyone to make it mandatory for continued updates. The privacy policy above does through how to opt out of data collection, and what is required to keep the system running.

No one yet has explained exactly what this precaution is supposed to protect us from. And I've addressed the privacy policy in another thread. It has a lot of holes in it, by design.

I understand your concerns about privacy and only recommend a call because that's the quickest way to answer your questions, and it's sometimes easier to explain things over the phone.

I prefer to have things in writing. My experience in legal matters, I expect.
"We believe creating a password-protected, verified, account is a reasonable precaution to take and decided to make it a requirement for all Sonos customers."

This is an outrageous statement that explains less than nothing. If Sonos can't provide actual explanations to reasonable questions, the logical conclusion is something nefarious is going on. Anyone care to answer these?

* For what are the changes a precautionary measure?

* Why does Sonos think it's acceptable to deploy updates which functionally alter 10 year old hardware?

The biggest issue I have right now is the lack of transparency. There may very well be scenarios in which I agree with the changes, but the evasiveness leads me to believe Sonos is lying, or at the very least hiding something. Why?

I purchased a new phone, and now my audio system does not function*. Does that seem like a logical sentence to anyone? It's absurd, and anyone involved in the business decision ought to be fired.

* My previous phone was the only remaining component that hadn't been updated, so it could be used as a controller under the old rules.
I really wanted things to work out with Sonos, but after this latest debacle I have to say: I'm out.

I have a controller app that won't let me use the audio system - that worked perfectly until the 9.0 update came out - unless I forfeit my privacy by registering an email alongside the equipment. It worked perfectly for several years without doing so. And no one at Sonos will provide a reason why its necessary other than to say "its for security".

I have a system that won't play DTS, a 25 year-old codec, rendering many of my physical Blu-rays unusable unless I spend another $300-400 and buy a BR player that converts DTS to DD5.1

I have a home theater that is a dead end; it won't even play DD+, which Netflix is now offering on a growing scale, even though Sonos has said that streaming audio is a priority over physical media.

I have a package that retails for close to $2000 that can't perform as well as - and certainly is nowhere near as flexible as - a $1000 wired system. So I can pick up my speakers and move them anywhere there's an AC outlet - does that make sound quality and codec compatibility irrelevant?

After 30+ years in hifi, I know when speakers color the sound. In my experience, Sonos speakers make older analog masters sound like dirt compared to newer triple-digital recordings. So far I've just ignored that and simply played things that sounded better on Sonos to accommodate the system. Never again.

I contacted Denon and found that HEOS doesn't require me to forfeit my anonymity in order to listen to my own media.

Good luck guys, have fun trying to get Sonos to listen to you. They're too busy chasing your user information and pretending its for your own good. .
Take care! Brush your hair!
I contacted Denon and found that HEOS doesn't require me to forfeit my anonymity in order to listen to my own media. [...]

Today... but come tomorrow... 🙂
Today... but come tomorrow... :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to imply that most/all corporations eventually choose to sell their customers' personal information to the highest bidder.

Even if true, shouldn't those of us who value our privacy vote with our wallets while we can? Why not purchase from companies that better respect privacy at that moment?

We realize that products like gmail are only "free" in the sense that we are the product. That's why a sizeable portion of consumers are willing to pay more for guaranteed privacy and security.

We also know that bricking a 10 year old speaker got customers who refuse to accept new, completely unrelated terms, is terrible customer service at best, class-action fodder at worst.

Sonos: Ignore your early adopters at your peril.
Which speaker was bricked? Remind me.

Awwww, why'd you ask that? He was on a roll!

Sure, nothing's technically "bricked." I simply couldn't connect to any of my Sonos equipment without updating the firmware to 9.1, which I refuse due to lack of transparency. So not bricked -- held hostage, to be released when we accept vague new terms and policies. That's arguably worse.

Luckily my firmware is still at 8.6 and I found the Android v8.6 apk.

The Windows Desktop 8.6 client is still available from Sonos, for now:

http://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController86.exe.