Access to the shared folder is denied - check the username and password mac

• 3 January 2014
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
I have been using Sonos for a few years and it has been losing connectivity to iTunes on my Mac every few days.  Normally I have to try to rebuild indexes or clear the queue a couple of times and after a few minutes it reconnects.  

A couple of days ago it completely lost all connections to iTunes.  Now when a try to connect to the iTunes folder I get the following:

"Sonos was unable to add the music folder.  Access to the shared folder //[MyComputerName]/Music" is denied - check the user name and / or password".

Note: [MyComputerName] has a real value (no spaces) that is the same as the NETBIOS name and the computer name in Sharing.

I've read a number of threads with people with similar problems and have tried the following:

1. Rebooted everything in the recommended order
  2. Set the NETBIOS name is the same as the computer name in Sharing
  3. Toggled File Sharing off and on a number of times
  4. Moved the iTunes library to a different location on the iMac and forced iTunes to reorganise the files so they are all in the new location
  5. Uninstall and reinstalled SONOS a number of times using the latest version of the SONOS controller App
The thing I have noticed is that the SONOS user is not appearing in the File Sharing list of users.  I suspect the problem maybe linked to this but I'm not sure how to get this resolved given I've uninstalled and reinstalled the controller a number of times.

I've submitted a diagnostic reference: 3335461

I'm running Mavericks 10.9.1 and the latest Sonos software.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Andrew

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello Andrew,

Try the following:

1. Access the Sharing-settings on your Mac.
2. Remove all folders that are being shared in the list of shared folders
3. Add only the folder that contains the iTunes Library.xml file
4. Then right-click that folder in the list of shared-folders, and select the option 'Apply this to included objects and folders as well'.
5. Now please try once more to add the folder within the Sonos app.

Kind regards,

Bjorn L.
Userlevel 2
Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have followed your instructions and continue to get the same error i.e.: access to the shared folder is denied - check username and / or password.

Can you please advise next step.

Thanks again
Andrew
Userlevel 2
Hi Bjorn,

It's been 5 days since my last response.  Can you please let me know how I progress resolving this issue? I've spent thousands of dollars on Sonos gear and it's more than a little frustrating to have it sitting idle.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
I'm having a similar problem on PC running Windows 7. Any advice for that configuration?
Userlevel 2
Hello Andrew,

Try the following:

4. Then right-click that folder in the list of shared-folders, and select the option 'Apply this to included objects and folders as well'.

Kind regards,

Bjorn L.

Hi Bjorn,

I am still having this problem and really need some help from Sonos.

Do you have any other suggestions please

Thanks you
Andrew
I am running MacOS 10.9.1 and I am getting the same error message... access denied check the username and password. I am not running the Firewall.

I have tried sharing the folder and then adding it manually in the Sonos Music Share and then I get an error (900). 

Bill
I am running MacOS 10.9.1 and I am getting the same error message... access denied check the username and password. I am not running the Firewall.

I have tried sharing the folder and then adding it manually in the Sonos Music Share and then I get an error (900). 

Bill

I finally got it to work by sharing my iTunes folder and adding \\<computer NETBIOS name>\iTunes manually. 
Userlevel 2

Hi Bill,

Good stuff.  How did you share \\<computer NETBIOS name>\iTunes manually?  When I add a new share it requires me to browser to a folder and there's no such folder.  I could create a folder off root but I suspect I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello Andrew,

Try the following:

Kind regards,

Bjorn L.

This is the solution that worked for me. Thanks so much.
[quote=qrayg]Hello Andrew,

Try the following:

Kind regards,

Bjorn L.

New user to Sonos (1 day!) and it was easy to set up and was a bit flakey connecting to my itunes library. Then Sonos quit and wouldn't re-connect to the music library halfway through playing one song from it. Went through all the trouble shooting advise, then came across the above which finally got it working again. Thanks for posting the above advise, as I am not the most patient person with computers!